The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bit of a silly question:
Has competition for training contracts generally been improving recently (I.e the last couple of years or so). By improving I mean getting less competitive of course! How do you see it looking in around five years (better/worse situation?)
Also, Ive asked this before and got given great answers but might as well ask again:
Would you say the competivness of getting a training contract is enough to put them off wanting to be a solicitor, even if they go to an RG uni?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone!
A quick question, I'm preparing to apply for law and I was wondering if any of you have read any law books (e.g. for your personal statement/interview/entrance test), including 'Letters to a Law Student' as it's quite expensive. Considering I already have 'What about law' and 'The Rule of Law' is it really worth reading or is it mostly for tips you need on campus/when you're actually studying the degree?
Thank you :smile:))
Original post by Kitkat5
Hello everyone!
A quick question, I'm preparing to apply for law and I was wondering if any of you have read any law books (e.g. for your personal statement/interview/entrance test), including 'Letters to a Law Student' as it's quite expensive. Considering I already have 'What about law' and 'The Rule of Law' is it really worth reading or is it mostly for tips you need on campus/when you're actually studying the degree?
Thank you :smile:))

If you already have what about law that will give you enough to be able to discuss on your personal statement. In regards to letters to a law student, it's useful for helping when you apply and study but you're not missing out on anything by not buying it.

I'd see it as only being essential if you applied to Pembroke college Cambridge as he teaches there.
Original post by iano101
If you already have what about law that will give you enough to be able to discuss on your personal statement. In regards to letters to a law student, it's useful for helping when you apply and study but you're not missing out on anything by not buying it.

I'd see it as only being essential if you applied to Pembroke college Cambridge as he teaches there.

That's great, thank youfor your help:smile:
Original post by iano101

Essential if your aim is not to stand out at all, I suppose.

Original post by Kitkat5
That's great, thank youfor your help:smile:

If you want to distinguish yourself, find something individual to write about.
Original post by TimmonaPortella

what od you consider 'individual' ? I was thinking of picking a similar section of all the books I've read and comparing the arguments & interpretations with my own. Would that be individual?
Original post by TimmonaPortella

The individual bit is your interpretation on it...
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kitkat5
what od you consider 'individual' ? I was thinking of picking a similar section of all the books I've read and comparing the arguments & interpretations with my own. Would that be individual?

If you're actually doing some analysis of multiple books that's a good sign, but you should be aware that a lot of applicants write about the particular books that were being mentioned. You may find it difficult to stand out to tutors if you're basically talking about the same books as everyone else.

Personally I read a book on human rights law and wrote a paragraph about that. It wasn't the most piercing analysis I've ever put to paper, but I suspect it caused tutors to pay a little more attention purely because it was different.
Original post by Bollywoodfan
Hello ? Anyone?

If you're not getting an answer it's not necessarily because you're being ignored. It may just be that no-one who posts in this thread has any expertise in what you're asking about. You should start your own thread if you want more responses.
I wrote about the drug war in Mexico in my personal statement. I'm still not sure what I actually said though.
TimmonaPortella is right. I talked about Lessig, which I think is relatively unique in its own right, as well as more common stuff like LtaLS and A Very Brief Introduction to Jurisprudence.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I wrote about the drug war in Mexico in my personal statement. I'm still not sure what I actually said though.

"After my degree I plan to move to Mexico and make a hostile takevoer bid on one of the drug lord's patches"?
Original post by Ethereal
"After my degree I plan to move to Mexico and make a hostile takevoer bid on one of the drug lord's patches"?

Lol! I would not be surprised if that's what I wrote.

But I think I wrote about how American drug policy and law was to blame for the Mexican drug war and that sometimes the law would have to adopt an approach that was not too popular in order to deal with such a difficult subject. Basically, pro-decriminalisation of drug arguments.
Does anyone know if when a postgrad app deadline is X date, and the uni send out for your references, does this mean the references have to be back in by X date or just that I have to do my part by X date?

The course I've applied for closes tomorrow (although the website says admissions open, that the deadline is 1st July...while the online app system says it closes on 31st...so inefficient) and my tutor emailed me Tuesday to say she would provide a reference and has now not done this. I have emailed the uni in question multiple times with no response.

Going to be so annoyed if my application is rejected because of this! Also if it says '1 reference may be acceptable' who would be best to contact about this and what the circumstances are for this - the email address for law admissions, who haven't responded, or just go directly to the course co-ordinator? Getting fed up and it's putting me off the uni anyway to be honest but I do want to do the course :angry:

[e] just to add to the 'weird books referenced in personal statements' convo - the only book I mentioned in mine was On Liberty by John Stuart Mill and it's not even about law. Got offers at all my 5 choices.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just found out that in my 1st and 2nd year, the highest mark overall was 73 and 69...

really.
Can anyone recommend a *comprehensive* company law casebook? Reason I value comprehensiveness highly is lack of access to legal databases.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Can anyone recommend a *comprehensive* company law casebook? Reason I value comprehensiveness highly is lack of access to legal databases.

Only decent casebook I know is Sealy & Worthington.
Anyone bored and want to read / give me their thoughts on a case:

HSBC Bank plc v Catherine Mary Brown [2015] EWHC 359 (Ch)

No doubt the judge was right to find that HSBC was fixed with constructive notice of undue influence, if undue influence there was. But on what possible basis did the judge conclude that there was any undue influence here? There is no evidence of it at all that I can see, the only comment the judge makes is (at para 55) that this was not one of those special relationships where there was an irrebuttable presumption of influence. I can't even see a finding of fact that there was undue influence exerted on Mrs Brown, and yet somehow HSBC's charge was held to be unenforceable?
Original post by Forum User
Anyone bored and want to read / give me their thoughts on a case:

HSBC Bank plc v Catherine Mary Brown [2015] EWHC 359 (Ch)

No doubt the judge was right to find that HSBC was fixed with constructive notice of undue influence, if undue influence there was. But on what possible basis did the judge conclude that there was any undue influence here? There is no evidence of it at all that I can see, the only comment the judge makes is (at para 55) that this was not one of those special relationships where there was an irrebuttable presumption of influence. I can't even see a finding of fact that there was undue influence exerted on Mrs Brown, and yet somehow HSBC's charge was held to be unenforceable?

no idea.

i just googled and maybe this could help

http://www.hillhofstetter.com/lenders-proceed-at-their-own-peril-hsbc-v-brown-2015-ewhc-359-ch/

Latest

Trending

Trending