The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump, i wanan see what people have to sayy
Well what are you doing instead of revising?
Instead of revising at home go into school and work in the library. Being in uniform and being totally removed from temptations like TV / computer means you just churn out the work.
For my A2's this year I revised 5/6 hours in the library during the day, and then did less strenuous work and relaxed in the evening at home.
Architecture-er
Instead of revising at home go into school and work in the library. Being in uniform and being totally removed from temptations like TV / computer means you just churn out the work.
For my A2's this year I revised 5/6 hours in the library during the day, and then did less strenuous work and relaxed in the evening at home.

This. When your at school you're more motivated to get work done.
Reply 5
I'm a good procrastinator - I couldn't get myself to revise before until when exams are really near. I think when the time is right, you'll adjust to your study mode.
Reply 6
I don't understand the point of this thread. Want good grades do work? Practise past papers? Do essays? Go above and beyond what's expected of you? If you want to go to uni that should be motivation enough. I'm dyslexic and I didn't come out with A's and B's slacking. I worked hard and I had to work harder than most to get even an average grade.

Just keep in mind your end goal. Think about how amazng it'll be and how great you'll feel knowing you got those grades and you earnt them! You deserved those grades and you tried your best! Use that as your motivation.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Anything worth having requires hard work. You only get out what you put in.
Reply 8
are there any revision tips? ive stopped drinking cofee to get me to work, and also,, i always feel like theres not enoough time in the day for me to revise tbh :/
Reply 9
You need The Fear. (i.e., you need to be scared ******** of failing.) Also, a revision checklist is good, a plan of what you need to do, and good methods for revision.
Just do it, there is plenty of time in the day, so just go do it. Make a little timetable if you really need your hand held through it all.
Reply 11
Stay away from computers, friends and anything else that will distract you. Just take your books and equiptment plus a can of your favourite beverage and find somewhere quiet to study the night away. Good luck... you'll need it.
I slacked through my final year and 3 months before the exams I did a mock and realised I knew absolutely nothing. That shock was enough to get me to do lots of book questions + past papers and it worked
grrr, just found out all my jan exams and resits are close together :frown: okay, now scared ********
helpneeded-a
anyone who was a slacker, finding it hard to revise actually get themselves to work and get good grades? if so, how?

i need help

getting int o the uni i want should be enough motivation, but eventhough i have the mental motivation, i need something which would get me to phyically sit there and work!

I was a slacker and got them, but i was doing subjects that you could learn quite quickly as long as you were smart (science and maths) as opposed to things like history and english.
helpneeded-a
are there any revision tips? ive stopped drinking cofee to get me to work, and also,, i always feel like theres not enoough time in the day for me to revise tbh :/

For non-essay subjects (Maths, Physics, Chemistry etc) I went through the entire textbook and made notes on each chapter (AQA is really good for this because of how they lay it all out). After each chapter I'd do the questions in the book, and at the very end I did all the past-papers and did more questions. Practising questions will make you much faster at answering them because your brain will start to gather what bits of info you need to answer a question before you've finished reading it.
Essay subjects are much harder, I just revised everything as thoroughly as possible and practised writing essays, getting the teacher to mark them and comment on them, and go again. Also for Geography I found it helpful to talk over stuff with a classmate, just telling each other as much as possible about a certain thing, this would also work for History and R.E.

edit: I did my Maths a year early so I only had 2 exam subjects in the summer, giving me the time to revise my Physics as I described above. If you have more exams then this may take too long, unless you start very early (like a month before the revision break starts, doing casual revision)
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm in the same situation as you, slacked a bit through my ASs (but got fairly good results) but I'm determined to try my best for AAA this year :biggrin: I've put pictures of the uni I want to go to up on my wall for motivation... don't know how well it works though :p: Tbh I'm mostly motivated by fear of failure!
Bella Occhi
I'm in the same situation as you, slacked a bit through my ASs (but got fairly good results) but I'm determined to try my best for AAA this year :biggrin: I've put pictures of the uni I want to go to up on my wall for motivation... don't know how well it works though :p: Tbh I'm mostly motivated by fear of failure!

I got CCDDE, was bad, got it with no revision

i do history politics and economics now..

hoping i'll start my hardcore work sometimes today!
looking at the dates of the exams, is pretty much scaring me lol
What I do is I say to myself when I get home that the first thing I'm going to do is any homework or studying. You just have to say no. I don't even turn on my computer or music or get something to eat.

When you're just back from school you're still in the 'school' mindset. If you have a break then do it you more likely to be less motivated to do anything.

A homework or study timetable also really helps. It makes sure you spend the same amount of time on each subject. You might think you're better at one, but if you revise less for it you're likely to get a lower grade. That's what happened with my gcse PE grade "/ even though it was so easy for me to get an A* as my practical mark was very high...

And looking back on what didn't work before will help you improve different aspects of your studying. Try different types of studying too. Don't just READ READ READ. Turns out different people learn differently. And yes. Fear does seem to work too.
(edited 13 years ago)
laughylolly
What I do is I say to myself when I get home that the first thing I'm going to do is any homework or studying. You just have to say no. I don't even turn on my computer or music or get something to eat.

When your just back from school your still in the 'school' mindset. If you have a break then do it you more likely to be less motivated to do anything.

oh, thats what i do :frown:

Latest