The Student Room Group
Reply 1
izzizzi
Hi,
I am from the Isle of man and I am going to apply to physiotherapy and only certain universitys will except me I am really struggling to find which ones will. If anyone has been in the same boat as me and knows which one will except manx sudents?

Thanks in advance for the help!
you need to make a list of the uni's you're interested in and call them directly to ask this.
Reply 2
Except you from what?

Advice as above really...
Reply 3
Accept or except? As in they won't accept you? You're still part of the British Isles aren't you? It seems a bit unfair if some would accept you and some wouldn't just because of living on the Isle of Man. Would speaking to NHS bursaries help, as they could help regarding where they will pay your funding?
(edited 13 years ago)
Roodie
Accept or except? As in they won't accept you? You're still part of the British Isles aren't you? It seems a bit unfair if some would accept you and some wouldn't just because of living on the Isle of Man. Would speaking to NHS bursaries help, as they could help regarding where they will pay your funding?

the Isle of Man is not IIRC part of the UK although it is part of the geographical British Isles.

the Isle of Man has a separate Health service funded by the Manx Government, this is not part of the the NHS administered by the UK Department of Health
Reply 5
Ta Zippy :redface:)

To the OP, have you contacted NHS bursaries yet? Their website states:

"To be eligible for NHS Bursary support ALL students regardless of nationality must be able to satisfy the following requirements on the first day of the first academic year of the course (the ‘prescribed date’) * On that day, all applicants must:
be ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years preceding the prescribed date, apart from occasional or temporary absences;
AND
be ordinarily resident in England, Scotland , Wales or Northen Ireland on the prescribed date (other than medical and dental students who must be ordinarily resident in England.);
AND
have ‘settled status’ in the UK - within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1971. This means that there must be no restrictions on your length of stay in the UK.

And I think if you are eligible to apply for a bursary that means that your fees will be met.....?
Reply 6
Join the club on this one, I'm looking to do Radiography.

Basically as Manx students the NHS will not pay our fees due to the fact we are neither in the UK or EU.
Roodie
"To be eligible for NHS Bursary support ALL students regardless of nationality must be able to satisfy the following requirements on the first day of the first academic year of the course (the ‘prescribed date&#8217:wink: * On that day, all applicants must:
be ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years preceding the prescribed date, apart from occasional or temporary absences;
AND
be ordinarily resident in England, Scotland , Wales or Northen Ireland on the prescribed date (other than medical and dental students who must be ordinarily resident in England.);
AND
have ‘settled status’ in the UK - within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1971. This means that there must be no restrictions on your length of stay in the UK.

As this actually shows we are not eligible for NHS funding as the Isle of Man is not mentioned in the second requirement.

To answer the question you are going to have to do what I've been doing a ringing around individual universities. Some will say yes and some will say no. It's that complicated and that simple I'm afraid.

Latest