Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I did; they lied.
Reply 3
4 I Murder Carrots Fun
I did; they lied.

Elaborate.
They denied the existence of a GCSE quota for really selective private schools...
Reply 5
If you have your A-levels, thy'll make the offer based on them, in all likelihood.

And if they denied it, then odds are there isn't one :smile:
I'd believe them over what I heard from other 3rd or 4th hand sources, personally.

In general - 3 or 4 A grades at A2
Strong GCSEs

It's highly competitive though, so strong GCSEs are probably needed, to differentiate between applicants.
Durham, Department of History
In 2008-2009, for example, a total of 1.700 applications were received for 157 places; in effect, this meant that over 75% of applicants did not receive an offer.

At least, that's what my research would suggest to me :smile:
Reply 6
4 I Murder Carrots Fun
They denied the existence of a GCSE quota for really selective private schools...

They do say that you need good GCSEs, and that people from less well performing schools will be given leniency.

But I'd say that if you went to a really selective private school and didn't get all A*s, what was the point?
But for Durham 'strong' GCSEs are relative to where you sat them, so essentially there is one for my school, and it is high...
Mann18

But I'd say that if you went to a really selective private school and didn't get all A*s, what was the point?

Well the school I was at when I was taking my GCSEs wasn't nearly so selective, and I did get good A-levels.
Reply 9
Looking at your GCSEs - I shouldn't think you have anything to worry about...
They're good by anyone's standards (Heck - I went to a selective school, and got less A*s) - and the A-Levels are excellent too.

I'd say go for it :smile:
From what I've heard they do have a 'minimum A*' policy, but I have no evidence to substantiate that. I'd say you might as well reapply, especially if it's where you really want to go.
4 I Murder Carrots Fun
Hi. I'm trying to decide whether or not to reapply this year to Durham... Basically, I've heard that they essentially have a 'minumum GCSE A*' quota for applicants (at least for history, which is what I'm applying for) from top fee-paying schools. Also, how does the whole examining your GCSEs thing work if you already have your A-levels?

How have you done so many A levels? Did you do fast track, or are you just taking an extra year to do them all?
Reply 12
Hey, I applied to Durham last year for history and was rejected. Before I applied I emailed them and asked if they had a GCSE cut off point for applicants which they denied, although the did mention their "GCSE modifier table" ( as I went to a private school it didn't affect my application) . I have 9 A* 2 A and 1 B and was predicted 4 A*. My friend had the same predictions as me and got 9A* and 3As at GCSE and got in.
Personally I think the personal statement was a deciding factor, if you have a good PS you should give it a shot. Your grades are really good :smile:
Reply 13
4 I Murder Carrots Fun

Yup. Because there isn't one.

How can you say they are lying, when you don't even know the answer yourself?

Durham is a popular university with history particularly over-subscribed. GCSEs will be looked at and the department have made no secret about their preference for a "high number of A*s".

Durham do/had a GCSE modifier score. Every state school (including grammars) had their own modifier score depending on how well they performed at GCSE. So an above average school would have a lower score than a below average school. This allowed the departments to take into consideration contextual factors. Not that all departments used it.

I think this has now been abandoned/changed for the upcoming year. Now admissions tutors will be informed when a school performs below the national average.

But there is no quota. Especially not a quota for "highly selective" schools only.

With those GCSE results, A-level grades and a strong personal statement you should have a reasonable chance of success.
Reply 14
4 I Murder Carrots Fun

I'm not sure how your source of alternative information can be so much more reliable and informed than a direct statement from the people concerned that you are confident that you've been lied to by the University. Surely the evidence available to you is consistent with the scenario that the alternative information source is possibly mistaken? It would be interesting to hear what the evidence they have is.
4 I Murder Carrots Fun
Hi. I'm trying to decide whether or not to reapply this year to Durham... Basically, I've heard that they essentially have a 'minumum GCSE A*' quota for applicants (at least for history, which is what I'm applying for) from top fee-paying schools. Also, how does the whole examining your GCSEs thing work if you already have your A-levels?

Yah, just shake your ass all over their faces, they will let you in. :woo:
Reply 16
Hey!! I didn't want to start up a new thread about GCSEs so thought I might just post on this one...

I really really love Durham and I'm submitting my UCAS next week. But I am very concerned about my GCSEs!! I'm at Sixth Form, in the same place as I went to school - a comprehensive school that's not very high performing. We're not rubbish but we are definately not amazing by a long shot.

My GCSEs were 3 As, 5 Bs, and 2 Cs. No A*s... And judging by loads of the people on here that are applying, actually pretty poor in comparison. My A Level predictions, however, are A*AB. I really want to study Anthropology, but I'm actually applying for both straight Anth & the joint honours with Anth & Sociology.

How do you fancy my chances??

Any replies would be appreciated!! (Not too brutal please! :] )

x
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
pipster93
Hey!! I didn't want to start up a new thread about GCSEs so thought I might just post on this one...

I really really love Durham and I'm submitting my UCAS next week. But I am very concerned about my GCSEs!! I'm at Sixth Form, in the same place as I went to school - a comprehensive school that's not very high performing. We're not rubbish but we are definitely not amazing by a long shot.

My GCSEs were 3 As, 5 Bs, and 2 Cs. No A*s... And judging by loads of the people on here that are applying, actually pretty poor in comparison. My A Level predictions, however, are A*AB. I really want to study Anthropology, but I'm actually applying for both straight Anth & the joint honours with Anth & Sociology.

x

No way to know unless and until you apply. However, as a general rule if the offer is less than AAA, as here, then it's likely that many/most/all of the applications with predictions that equal or exceed the offer will be successful. GCSEs are generally used to break ties when too many applicants are predicted AAA for the number of offers available to a department. If a department were significantly swamped with AAB or better applicants, the obvious way to ration offers would be to raise the offer. I shouldn't worry too much.
Original post by pipster93

x

Well, honestly, Durham are notorious for looking at GCSEs.

But also notorious for weighing that against your school o_o

Latest