The Student Room Group

A-Level Help? You know you want to click on this ;)

Hey :smile: so.. yeah, I'm really confused what to do for my a-levels. I'm only in year 11 still, but I want some subjects in mind before I start applying to sixth forms/colleges, because i think you have to give them an idea.

I do have a tiny bit of an idea what I would like to do at a-level but as for my career in general, and degrees at university, I haven't the foggiest. I am predicted A*s at GCSE (although I won't get them all for definate - it's just those good for nothing 'Fisher Family Trust' target grades. Pfft.) I hope to get an A* in maths, R.E, and perhaps English though. I don't expect to do so well in French. I want to study at Warwick University, and the only degrees I have so far considered are Mathematics and Statistics, and Psychology. But I still really don't know!

Anyway, enough about me, what i'm confused about are my a-levels. I definitely want to study maths, but that is my only solid choice. I am considering studying Psychology and English Language, however after looking on the Trinity College Cambridge website, they aren't very respected, which sucks a lot. I know everyone on here is probably going to say 'don't do english language, it's not valuable, do english literature', but I HATE english literature. With a passion. Yet I love creating my own texts - especially original writing, which is why I feel as though I should persue an english language a-level. What do you reckon? :smile:

With psychology, I am really interesting in that kind of thing, and I think I would really enjoy it, so that is driving me to choose it. If anyone knows if psychology is a decent a-level or not, please let me know.

Sorry for the super huge explanation, I waffle on so much about rubbish; I'll shut up now, I promise! But yeah, I need to choose four - I have a definate and 2 maybes. What do you suggest? Thanks guys! :smile:
Reply 1
Maths, Further Maths (if its offered). Sounds like you have an interest in English Language and lets face it, everyone needs to be able to write properly. Psychology is supposed to be very strange...but that may just be our teacher (or the people in my year.) If you want another subject to fit with Maths, try Physics or Chemistry if you're certain about Maths and Science!
Reply 2
I suggest doing things that you enjoy because A levels will be a lot of work and you need to be self-motivated and willing to do some independent study. That should be your first criteria.
Then look on the UCAS website and see what universities require what A levels and grades to get onto the course, you can then tailor the rest of you A levels to that.
Overall, try and make sure you have well rounded A levels that show all your skills (and you enjoy them), yet they also mesh well together and have transferable skills.
P.S. Psychology can be seen as a bit 'soft' by universities, so be careful when choosing it over a more tradiontal science or humanity. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Actually no, I didn't want to click on this.
Reply 4
Johnny Christ
Actually no, I didn't want to click on this.

The fact that you clicked on it anyway evidently shows this... :curious:

But to everyone else, thanks! I think I'll go with what I enjoy and just wait until results day to make the big descisions. :smile:

Latest