The Student Room Group

How the West views India

About a year and a half ago, we (A school in New Delhi, capital of India for those who didn't know it, and believe me, there are many) had a musical online exchange with Carnegie Hall, New York. We were asked to interact with each other, and we got pretty bizarre questions. I mean, these kids had such a vague and stereotyped image of India. They view India as a land of snake charmers and elephants and whatever. Well, traditionally, yes, but there are 29 states in India and there are thousands of different cultures countless languages and dialects, so it's diffficult to classify what India is really like. We have urban areas and rural ares. these kids asked us questions like, "do ride elephants to school?" or "Do you wear saris everyday?" and "Do you live in the Red Fort?" and I was like, "Um, no we go to schools in CARS and BUSES, kids don't usually wear saris and they're formal wear in Urban areas, and the Red Fort is a national monument." It surprised me to learn that young people know so little about India, i mean to the point of ignorance and asking stupid and often insulting questions. So all the Westerners here, what do you think about India? what do you know about us?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally I view India as a developing (I don't mean this in a bad way I mean it's an up and coming country) country with a lot of promise. Like you said there are lots of cultures and languages present and as far as I know there's not much trouble? I have a good view of India.

To be fair typical Americans appear to be quite ignorant towards anything overseas. You'd think they'd know a fair amount of Britain too considering their alliance and history but they seem to be as equally ignorant. Tea and biscuits kind of stuff.
Good side of India: Industrious, intelligent, immense work-ethic, often humble people, interesting culture and a beautiful country.

Bad side of India: Bollywood, English interspersed with X dialect, perverts, stone-age mentality, religious intolerance, corruption within government, unbelievable poverty.

My two rupees.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
That's nice to know:top:
Reply 4
Gandalf_is_a_girl
Good side of India: Industrious, intelligent, immense work-ethic, often humble people, interesting culture and a beautiful country.

Bad side of India: Bollywood, English interspersed with X dialect, perverts, stone-age mentality, religious intolerance, corruption within government, unbelievable poverty.

My two rupees.

I agree with most of what you said, but what's wrong with bollywood?
Reply 5
My view of India is skewed by my Indian friends, who were quite wealthy and did actually own a baby elephant before they moved to England.

When I think of India I think crowded and colourful.
(edited 13 years ago)
Marvin211

Bollywood a joke. It is about time, in India, people watch Hollywood films in droves. Hollywood films are only shown in selected multiplexes.

And plus, I can watch the telly.
Reply 7
Optimistic country, burgeoning middle class, things appear to be getting better :smile:
Marvin211

It's an odd gripe for a non-Indian to have but I'll try to explain it anyway. Indian films used to have good storylines IMO but it went downhill very, very fast. They release films too quickly , the plots are rank and it's become too sexualised. All style, no substance. As long as it has a big name in it then the plebs will go watch it in their droves. The Indian idea of 'titillating' is pretty vanilla as well.

At least in Hollywood, they tend to have decent plots to go with the nudity but Bollywood just comes up with the most inane and improbable narratives. A doctor-cum-supermodel freefalling 2000ft down a mountain on a motorbike and lands safely in time for the chorus?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Most women can't even walk in a straight line. :lolwut:
Reply 9
The_Male_Melons
Bollywood a joke. It is about time, in India, people watch Hollywood films in droves. Hollywood films are only shown in selected multiplexes.

And plus, I can watch the telly.

haha its a joke?! please dont talk anymore.
Reply 10
hindu land
Gandalf_is_a_girl
It's an odd gripe for a non-Indian to have but I'll try to explain it anyway. Indian films used to have good storylines IMO but it went downhill very, very fast. They release films too quickly , the plots are rank and it's become too sexualised. All style, no substance. As long as it has a big name in it then the plebs will go watch it in their droves. The Indian idea of 'titillating' is pretty vanilla as well.

At least in Hollywood, they tend to have decent plots to go with the nudity but Bollywood just comes up with the most inane and improbable narratives. A doctor-cum-supermodel freefalling 2000ft down a mountain on a motorbike and lands safely in time for the chorus?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Most women can't even walk in a straight line. :lolwut:

well if thats what people want, that's what people will get. you cant just say that one of the biggest industries in India is a negative aspect of the country just because you dont like it!
Before I went to India I used to think: Taj Mahal, Bollywood, colourful saris, Slumdog Millionare and the Ganages
Having been there I now think the same but interspersed with a fair amount of poverty and lots of people trying to forcefully sell me things
Of course kids arent going to know a lot about a country that they have never been to.
Reply 14
i view india as a saviour to our economy who kept Jaguar Landrover alive, creating exports and jobs in the uk and
well....there r loads of examples....as im an indian i have a biased opinion...
Reply 15
Beautiful place, intelligiance- for some haha and others...perverted. But like the others said..bollywood?? It's a joke.

Oh and I love Indian food :biggrin:
Gandalf_is_a_girl

My two rupees.

This.
India seems a bit like China, a great place to be if you're rich and educated and can take advantage of all the new industry coming about but not so great if you're in the other 80% or whatever of the population that just gets left behind. But otherwise my impression of the country is that it's a bit rough round the edges, very chaotic but with very accommodating people. I'd love to visit actually.
morecambebay
Of course kids arent going to know a lot about a country that they have never been to.

You don't have to have visited India not to know that everyone sits around charming snakes! Granted you can't properly judge a country until you've visited but that image seems more than a little dated.
ScarlettDangerfield
You don't have to have visited India not to know that everyone sits around charming snakes! Granted you can't properly judge a country until you've visited but that image seems more than a little dated.

We're taking about children here. What do you think indian kids think of america? that everybody eats macdonalds, drinks coke and loves paris hilton?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending