The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bristol is the most amazing city! and i've only been here for 2 weeks! its got something for everyone - very good clubs and bars if you're into that, loads of cafes and shops etc, walking on the downs and blaise castle, lots of places to eat out and lots of places to explore in clifton etc. The university is also lovely, bit of a building site in places (maths building...) and very confusing to get around at first! the halls are nice communties and everyone is so friendly. major con is the walk from stoke bishop to town and back (the hill!), which though not too far (about 40 minutes) is a bit annoying at the end of the day and buses are quite expensive! solution would be to be in the halls in town, but the stoke bishop halls are good too! otherwise i can't think of many more cons, the city is a bit 'rough' in places i think but theres no need to go there and all big cities have dodgy areas! come here, its good!
hatti x
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
I've been at Bristol just over a fortnight, and I love it.

Pros:

* Some really nice accommodation, with different types to suit every need. I'm in the newest self-catered ensuite halls, which are arranged in flats of six, in four blocks. I'm actually in a flat with someone I met on TSR, and someone else from TSR is almost directly above me. Which is kind of weird! I enjoy living in a flat because it gives you an instant group of five people who are like your family. You see them last thing at night and first thing in the morning, and at mealtimes, which are really sociable. The kitchens are great, and we always have visitors.

* The uni buildings are very attractive, with law and earth sciences being based in the fabulous Wills memorial building and most arts and humanities in Victorian houses along Woodland Road, which is always full of students. Not so sure about the science-based faculties. Music is based in a gorgeous building with pillars and a fountain outside. You can't quite believe that some of these buildings actually belong to the university.

* The city itself is gorgeous, if rather spread out. All your standard shops, plus lots of little independent ones, and absolutely millions of pubs, bars and restaurants. Whiteladies Road, which leads down into the city from the north side, is absolutely filled with them. Some are more expensive than others, but some are pretty good, such as Sloane's, with its 2 for 1 cocktails. Mmmmm. :wink: Have barely touched on this side of things yet - there are loads of places still to try. There are quite a few clubs, including the brand new Oceana, which has just been opened. So far our Freshers' events have mainly finished in Wedgies, which is the ultimate cheesy club night on the Waterfront, which you'll either love or hate. I love it.

Cons:

Mainly the walk to and from uni if you live out in the Stoke Bishop halls. People complain about it a lot, and this morning I overtook a group of guys complaining about the hour long trek to uni. I thought, "Well if I walked as slowly as you do, it would take an hour!"

It's do-able in 25 minutes to arts and humanities, slightly less to music and law, and slightly more to medicine and vet. There are loads of buses if you really can't face it, or are running late, but it's only really a problem when it's raining, or when you have heavy shopping, or late at night. Can't do much about the rain, but we recommend internet shopping. Asda and Tesco will both deliver to halls. In the evenings there is a handy Union bus which is £1 flat fare and goes back to the halls. If there's three or more of you, get a taxi. It's about £7 from the very bottom of town right the way up to your hall, and split between a few of you, that's nothing. Especially if you get a taxi which can carry 6 and manage to fill it.

If you don't want to live in Stoke Bishop, there are three halls in Clifton and some student houses, which are much nearer, although the majority of 1st years live in SB. It's only for a year though, and the city is full of beautiful houses to rent out with your friends in subsequent years.

See some pictures I took in my first week. :smile:
Reply 3
I have definately enjoyed my time here so far. The walk is quite far, but you'll get used to it. The atmosphere in hall is really good, and I think that it is the same elsewhere. THe city is big enough to have a huge variety of clubs, bars, cafés and shops, both chain and independent, while retaining a good atmosphere and not being overwhelming. (London, I decided wouldn't be for me quite yet). As mentioned above its also a beautiful city and there doesn't seem to be local animosity towards students.
bristol is great, havoing come from quite a big city (birmingham) it does seem on the small side. Basically i agree with what everyone has said. Its a lovely city, loads of character, fantastic downs when the weather has nice (which sofar we have only had 2 nights of rain!) the suspension bridge is gorgous. There are loads and loads of bars and clubs, more than iv ever seen before i think, and being such a small city is surprising. The only thing i would say lacking is the lack of cheap supermarkets nearby, theres a sainsburys which is expensive and a tesco express which sells nothing. A 20 min bus ride can get you to the hugest asda tho! and were currently trying out the internet shoppin lol.

The halls are great, well durdham is! Big rooms, ensuite, warm, cosy cheap bars, cant moan! Tennis and netball courts and squash actually right outside the halls. Then the downs are on the doorstep. THe uni is gorgous, the wills building is stunning, and the medical science building (altho having building works at the moment) is really modern inside the lecture theatres are well equipped and that.

All in all.....its great, i urge you to apply!
Reply 5
I have to say that Bristol is seriously good, I know I'll sound biased but I honestly wasn't sure for a few days at the beginning, but I was walking up Park Street the other night and seriously felt very happy I was here! How cheesy does that sound?!

The main con other people seem to have put is the distance from Stoke Bishop - I'm in a student house (a big one - 120 rooms) right on Woodland Road which is basically the main uni road. It used to be a hotel so all the rooms are big - mine is probably (v rough measurements!) about 3.5 x 4.5 metres? And the sink areas fantastic and our kitchens orange. Enough said :smile: But I didn't mean to hype up the Hawthorns, just to say that there are options apart from Stoke Bishop. There's also a Sainsbury's with lots of their basics range which is cheap nearby, lots of bars and its about 20 minutes to the train station and fifteen to town. Bristol itself does seem to have a huge range of clubs with lots of different styles of music, can't say i've been to them all yet but i know that if you like your drum and bass you're sorted! it gets its fair share of touring bands and stuff too. its also a very leafy, pretty city so it does feel like a very (very!) big village in the central part, which is pretty nice.

the uni is good too, all in one place so easy to find, and its all relatively new, and the buildings are amazing, it has to be said! the one down i would say is the union - its not exactly the best of places, especially for the people in stoke bishop its far away so doesnt get a huge range of people. its also a pretty ugly building but i guess it does its job. its got pool tables too, which has to be good.

anyway i seem to have gone on but bristol is very good! but seriously check that you're also applying for the course rather than just the place.
Reply 6
I think i'll reserve any "pros and cons" advice until i've spent a few more weeks here. No doubt, i will be able to help prospective students in the coming months and that i will do. But it's a bit early yet.

All i will say at the moment is - If you manage to get a degree from Bristol you are sorted for life. Fact! Therefore, even if Bristol was a grubby cesspool full of complete morons it would still be worth 3-7 years of your existence and thousands of pounds of your parent's money.
Why is that a fact?
Reply 8
I guess it is as long as you're doing a real subject. Not something silly like History.
Reply 9
Steveee
I guess it is as long as you're doing a real subject. Not something silly like History.

Have you had the careers talk yet that basically consists of them saying "Get a good degree and you're guaranteed a job"? :biggrin: We're in the right subject.
Reply 10
El Pollo Diablo
Have you had the careers talk yet that basically consists of them saying "Get a good degree and you're guaranteed a job"? :biggrin: We're in the right subject.

Basically yeah. It was the same one that they said "fail anything and you're out. And then we'll **** on your body when you die in the gutter."
Reply 11
Steveee
Basically yeah. It was the same one that they said "fail anything and you're out. And then we'll **** on your body when you die in the gutter."

Dawei Han (gawd bless 'im) loves doing those, and just telling us how we're all going to fail, but it's ok because if you do you can transfer onto an easier course like Geography. :biggrin: I love that man. Who's your personal tutor Steve?
Reply 12
susiemakemeblue
Why is that a fact?

Well, when i say "sorted for life" i mean in terms of a degree. In other words, it puts you in an awesome position. What you do to supplement that to secure that job is down to you.

And Steve - get your facts right dude. History - there isn't a better subject out there. :wink:
No more awesome than any other good uni... :p:
Reply 14
susiemakemeblue
No more awesome than any other good uni... :p:

Come on, Katie. We're meant to be bigging Bristol up here. :biggrin: Bristol students are THE most employable post-grads in the world, right? :wink:
Phil_D
Come on, Katie. We're meant to be bigging Bristol up here. :biggrin: Bristol students are THE most employable post-grads in the world, right? :wink:

Bristol IS the best uni in the world, but not everyone knows that. Employers included. Although in the office where I used to work, there were two people who joined at the same time, Tom and Emily. Tom did his maths degree at Bristol and has passed 11 out of 14 professional exams. He can potentially qualify as an actuary before he's 25, and he's already on £44k. Emily did her maths degree at Oxford and passed 2 exams in the same three years, and has now left to do the rest of them at Cass Business School because she can't pass them any other way.

:wink:
Reply 16
susiemakemeblue
Bristol IS the best uni in the world, but not everyone knows that. Employers included. Although in the office where I used to work, there were two people who joined at the same time, Tom and Emily. Tom did his maths degree at Bristol and has passed 11 out of 14 professional exams. He can potentially qualify as an actuary before he's 25, and he's already on £44k. Emily did her maths degree at Oxford and passed 2 exams in the same three years, and has now left to do the rest of them at Cass Business School because she can't pass them any other way.

:wink:

There you go. You said it better than i ever could and had evidence to back it up with.

Conclusion - Bristol degrees are as hot as f*ck. You know you want one guys. :wink:
On my last day I was talking to one of the partners and he said, "So which university are you going to then?"

When I said Bristol, he said, "Oh, I went there!"
Reply 18
El Pollo Diablo
Dawei Han (gawd bless 'im) loves doing those, and just telling us how we're all going to fail, but it's ok because if you do you can transfer onto an easier course like Geography. :biggrin: I love that man. Who's your personal tutor Steve?

Dawei Han was pretty jokes when he took us for labs - he started off by saying "yeah basically just play with the sand and the water", and then was like "NO! You're doing it all wrong, fools!", and then at the end was like "Yeah you got the wrong answer, but it doesn't matter at all because my answer is probably wrong too."

My personal Tutor is Prof Blockley. I don't know whether that's a good or bad thing. I hope it's good. I've my (first as I missed my real first) tutorial today though.

Allow this rain - I'm about to walk in.
disadvantage is definatly the rain
arghhhhhhhhhhh i just got soaked! wish id put down for the hawthorns!

Latest

Trending

Trending