The Student Room Group

Low English mark will make admission tutors reject me or ask for TOEFL? (im ESL/inter

I'm a Canadian student from Korea
so, English is my second language and I am an international student.

Now, I have a low mark in English. Would unis reject me because they assume that I would have difficulty following the course or, would they ask for TOEFL?(Would they only ask for TOEFL if my rest of the application was brilliant or is it common to ask for TOEFL? or would I have a low chance of getting asked of TOEFL because of my low English mark?)

Applying for Econ

AT

UCL
Durham
Nottingham
Bristol
York
Reply 1
If English isn't your first language and/or you have received your secondary education in a language other than English then you have to take an English language exam (such as TOEFL or IELTS) one way or the other; it's a basic entry requirement. The exact list of tests a university is willing to accept and what level of English is required for your chosen course is individual and you will have to check the universities' websites yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by Peregrinum
If English isn't your first language and/or you have received your secondary education in a language other than English then you have to take an English language exam (such as TOEFL or IELTS) one way or the other; it's a basic entry requirement. The exact list of tests a university is willing to accept and what level of English is required for your chosen course is individual and you will have to check the universities' websites yourself.

Well, I doing secondary education in English and have been doing in English for 6 years... But, English is my second language. So, I am worring if they will reject me because of low mark in English or ask for TOEFL?

And I think the answer to that is really unclear because it is too complicated. I think it will really depend on how admission tutors would view. It is too complicated to have an answer I think...
Reply 3
Original post by zanahoria
Well, I doing secondary education in English and have been doing in English for 6 years... But, English is my second language. So, I am worring if they will reject me because of low mark in English or ask for TOEFL?

And I think the answer to that is really unclear because it is too complicated. I think it will really depend on how admission tutors would view. It is too complicated to have an answer I think...

It's actually not too complicated (in fact, these situations are probably more common than you think). It's common to waive the TOEFL requirement if an applicant has been previously taught in English. Whether they will do that in your case or not may very well depend on your level of ability and they are likely to use your grade as a measurement. You should NOT wait to be accepted or rejected from the courses you're applying to; contact them right now and ask whether TOEFL is required in your case (tell them how long you've been taught in English and what grades you've gotten in your English classes). They may be okay with your level of English, require that you take the TOEFL, ask you to reach a certain standard in whatever Korean qualification you're taking, require that you pass a pre-sessional English language course in the UK, or take English language classes alongside your degree studies. Or any combination thereof. Point is, contact the universities about this. They will tell you what you need to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending