Is there a Cambridge equivalent?

Cambridge summer schools are done through the Sutton Trust
Original post by Alex-jc123

Begone unto the Cambridge forum :angry:

Spoiler

Reply 304
Original post by Revolution is my Name
Balls, the Chemistry one finishes the day before my final D of E expedition starts. Does anybody know if it'd be possible to leave early on the 23rd?

I don't think it's possible.... This was the same situation with me so I applied.

...Then I found out I'd got a place and missed the expedition :|
uniq is quite a nice thing just to get the feeling of the course
Hi, I'm hoping to apply for a place on the UNIQ summer schools at Oxford uni. I was wondering if anyone has been on a course, and what was it like?

I'm applying for the geography course in particular, so some info about that would be great - but any info is appreciated! Was it worth going?

Also, I'm struggling for what to write in the personal statement - any advice on that would be really good!

When are we notified whether or not we have a place?
Original post by safmaster
When are we notified whether or not we have a place?

22nd April, or there abouts - at the latest :smile:
Thanks for all the tips guys - these have been incredibly useful :smile:
I'm going to go for Theology at UNIQ - is anyone else?? I've not heard of anyone... which is good in a way - less competition! Writing my personal statement is going to be tricky but i suppose it's not impossible - especially as it is only 2000 characters (WITH spaces D:smile: PLUS I need a reference, which I'm going to get from my RS teacher (if she's okay with that).
I got 5A*s at GCSE - judging from others here, I think this is just about enough for Oxford ^^
Good Luck all in your applications - might see you there ;-)
Original post by The.Night.Watch.Woman
Thanks for all the tips guys - these have been incredibly useful :smile:
I'm going to go for Theology at UNIQ - is anyone else?? I've not heard of anyone... which is good in a way - less competition! Writing my personal statement is going to be tricky but i suppose it's not impossible - especially as it is only 2000 characters (WITH spaces D:smile: PLUS I need a reference, which I'm going to get from my RS teacher (if she's okay with that).
I got 5A*s at GCSE - judging from others here, I think this is just about enough for Oxford ^^
Good Luck all in your applications - might see you there ;-)

Very best of luck. Personal statement tips from the UNIQ website are here.
As I understand it your reference is not like a UCAS reference but more a confirmation that you have achieved the grades you have stated and that you go to the school you have claimed. So it's not nearly as burdensome as a personal reference.

UNIQ website Teachers' FAQs

All applicants will be required to nominate a teacher as a referee when making an application through our online system. If the applicant is successful, we will send an email to their referee asking them to confirm that:

The applicant currently attends the A Level school/college noted on their application;
The applicant previously attended the GCSE school noted on their application;
The applicant has provided the correct GCSE results on their application;
The applicant is considered to be a ‘looked after child’, if noted on their application.

Character references are not required, and the reference should only take 10-15 minutes to complete if the information required is readily available.
cz100
where did you find this?

The UNIQ website.

Original post by Alex-jc123

Yeah, the Sutton Trust. It's a bit different though, because it's mainly for students from financially disadvantaged backgrounds and you don't have to provide a personal statement.
I have 4A*s, 5As and 2Bs and I'm applying for Spanish. :biggrin:
I'm aware my grades aren't too amazing compared to everyone else's, but I don't think Spanish will be too competitive. I hope. :s-smilie:
Just sent in my application :O Good luck everyone! :smile:
Reply 314
I hate waiting for decisions
urgh i wanna know now lol

also i have a question, if i do get on the course i have concert tickets for one night during the course do you think id be able to leave one night to go then come back the next morning?
I'm applying for maths. Only got 5A's but went to a really bad school, still I get EMA and all the rest. I've applied to maths :/
I was wondering if I apply for the same course at Sutton trust Cambridge and UNIQ then will they see this as a disadvantage on my application because for Sutton trust you have to specify if you've applied to another university.
Original post by kas85
Hi! I work on the UNIQ Summer Schools so can tell you about the teacher's reference, but if you want more info call me on 01865 280126.

Your referee only needs to confirm that you

a) Are at the A level school you noted on your application form
b) Attended the GCSE school you noted on your application form
c) Achieved the GCSE grades you noted on your application form

They might also need to confirm whether you have any extenuating circumstances e.g., are in care, have suffered a bereavement, have had educational upheaval for example a number of supply teachers over a term rather than one teacher in the run up to GCSEs.

They won't have to 'write' a reference in the traditional sense, just confirm that what you have said in your application form is correct!

Maybe you can help me :smile:

I was wondering if I apply for the same course at Sutton trust Cambridge and UNIQ then will they see this as a disadvantage on my application because for Sutton trust you have to specify if you've applied to another university

Thanks a lot
Original post by Ro91
What do you think the gcse requirement for the summer school would be for medicine?

I spoke to somebody at oxford's admissions offers. She explained to me that last years minimum GCSE grades were 5A*'s

She also made explicit the the personal statement should NOT contain references to social achievements/skills, they.re only intested in accademic ability.

Hope this helps :smile:
Brett

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending