The Student Room Group

The Oxford UNIQ Summer Schools Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dave 1994

Yep! And epic fail to me for choosing it instead of physics :P lol

So u do 5 A-levels, thts pretty brave :P :smile:

:P i know. what was i thinking?? looking forward to 8 exams in the next month... how many do you have? xx
Original post by hannah225
:P i know. what was i thinking?? looking forward to 8 exams in the next month... how many do you have? xx

Sorry for butting in...but 8...you think thats bad? I've got 10! :frown:

Only 6 :P (and then two general studies but that doesn't count :P)

Original post by In One Ear

:eek: How many A-levels did you take??? You've got a fun month ahead of you :P

:O Are they module exams?

lol, sorry for butting in...
I have 14 ;-)
Original post by mojojojo17
I have 14 ;-)

:eek: more than double me :P
I have 14 ;-)

15 bitches :pierre:
Original post by medbh4805

How??? what subjects do you take? xx
How??? what subjects do you take? xx

Check my profile

Damn languages make you take all their modules in summer :rant:

breaks down to 2 physics, 1 history, 3 French, 3 Irish, 2 Latin, 2 Greek and 2 Maths :sigh:
(edited 12 years ago)
I have 14 ;-)

Hehe :tongue:
Damn languages make you take all their modules in summer :rant:

Ouch! I'm doing my reading, writing and listening for French and German in January :smile:
Original post by la-dauphine
Ouch! I'm doing my reading, writing and listening for French and German in January :smile:

Latin and Greek (both OCR) operate differently because of the small number of candidates :sad: As does the NICCEA exam board, which I do for Irish and French, (or possibly my school being awkward :holmes: :iiam: ), for the exact same reason (apparently).
Reply 1792
I applied with 8A*s for English and didn't get in :/ I want to apply for Oxford in October, does this mean I shouldn't? If I can't even get into the summer school I have no hope of the real thing :/
Original post by _becca
I applied with 8A*s for English and didn't get in :/ I want to apply for Oxford in October, does this mean I shouldn't? If I can't even get into the summer school I have no hope of the real thing :/

Of course you should: Oxford makes it clear throughout the UNIQ application process that the summer school is more competitive than the university itself (especially for English) and that factors such as school performance and postcode are only taken into account for UNIQ, not for the real thing.
Latin and Greek (both OCR) operate differently because of the small number of candidates :sad: As does the NICCEA exam board, which I do for Irish and French, (or possibly my school being awkward :holmes: :iiam: ), for the exact same reason (apparently).

I'm on OCR too, it's really stupid because we were told that we could stagger the exams at the beginning of this year when actually we couldn't (the rules have changed), but we didn't find out that we'd have to take them all this year until about a month ago so the school agreed to pay for some of us to take them next January! But from next year everyone will be taking their modules in June :\
Reply 1795
I have 14 ;-)

I feel your pain. :console:
I had 14 exams at the end of year 13.
Original post by la-dauphine
I'm on OCR too, it's really stupid because we were told that we could stagger the exams at the beginning of this year when actually we couldn't (the rules have changed), but we didn't find out that we'd have to take them all this year until about a month ago so the school agreed to pay for some of us to take them next January! But from next year everyone will be taking their modules in June :\

:console: that's pretty awful. Schools do make me :facepalm: sometimes.
Original post by _becca

NO! Don't lose hope! :P

Its harder to get into the summer school than the uni (in terms of applicants : places ratio), the summer school doesn't account for AS levels, predicted A2 levels, interviews, additional tests (like BMAT or wteva). etc. etc.

So loads of people who get into the summer school probably won't get a place at the uni (like me probably! :P) and loads who don't get in will get a place at the uni (like you probably! :P) :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by _becca

Whoa don't worry! I had the same feeling when I was rejected by UNIQ Mathematics a few weeks ago. It is by no means a reflection of your academics as it is influenced by other factors so in the actual university application, you would make an outstanding applicant with the 8A*s and be judged differently than here. I have 10A*s and have friends with same or slightly more being rejected (albeit it was medicine, PPE and maths...). Personally, I would advise you to not give up hope, because otherwise I would not have persevered and applied and gained a place in the International Mathematical Summer School which has put me in a better position than if I'd been accepted here (funny, life is...) (no offence to anyone here, just trying to show to her that there is always a silver lining and I have simply found mine).
Reply 1799
so..have people been receiving their hard copies of the form? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending