The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ollypocket
You guuuyyyss,

I've been thinking... and I'm really leaning towards going to Exeter. Which is great because I feel like I've made a decision, but meh, it's sad to know all the cool stuff I was looking forward to at York won't happen and that I won't ever get to meet you cool cats in real life :p:. I haven't firmed it or anything yet but having considered where I'd prefer to live, with most other factors being equal, I went for Exeter and don't think that would change.

aw that's a shame but exeter is still great and you can live in teletubby land!!
University of York
York
You guuuyyyss,

I've been thinking... and I'm really leaning towards going to Exeter. Which is great because I feel like I've made a decision, but meh, it's sad to know all the cool stuff I was looking forward to at York won't happen and that I won't ever get to meet you cool cats in real life :p:. I haven't firmed it or anything yet but having considered where I'd prefer to live, with most other factors being equal, I went for Exeter and don't think that would change.

Really? Entry standards at Exeter for English are quite a lot lower, as is research quality. York is firmly top 10 for English, sometimes top 5, whereas Exeter is only firmly top 20 (with course satisfaction usually bringing it up higher).

Anyway, I'm sure there are other factors that are edging you towards Exeter. I hear it's a great uni. The courses are fairly different, as are the unis, after all.
Reply 582
Original post by TruckBear
Really? Entry standards at Exeter for English are quite a lot lower, as is research quality. York is firmly top 10 for English, sometimes top 5, whereas Exeter is only firmly top 20 (with course satisfaction usually bringing it up higher).

Anyway, I'm sure there are other factors that are edging you towards Exeter. I hear it's a great uni. The courses are fairly different, as are the unis, after all.

Neither of these are entirely true - entry standards are the same (both are AAA) and both got joint first place in the last RAE (if that's anything to go by)...
Original post by Vekeh
Neither of these are entirely true - entry standards are the same (both are AAA) and both got joint first place in the last RAE (if that's anything to go by)...

The RAE for English? They didn't. The table has York 1st (not joint with anyone) and Exeter 6th.

I think TruckBear was probably referring to the more specific entry standards you can find online. League tables usually show the average amount of UCAS points gained by the entrants of particular courses, which is a way to separate the applicant standard of two courses of the same subject that both ask for AAA, like these two.
Original post by hannah9000
aw that's a shame but exeter is still great and you can live in teletubby land!!

Haha well that's why I decided upon it :P (which I haven't actually yet... I may yet change my mind lol).

Original post by TruckBear

Well York and Exeter were joint top for research in English in 2010 (though neither mention the other when talking about the fact on their respective websites :tongue:):

Spoiler

Checking out the "complete university guide" subject table for English where it's ranked #9, Exeter is only significantly below the other top ten in the category of entry standards. On the Guardian subject table its #8 again with only entry standards as significantly lower - while its student to staff ratio/spending per student are unimpressive, they aren't significantly so. I had a look at the 2010 ones and Exeter was still in the top 10 on both. I couldn't get at the Times ones.

Point is - Exeter is fairly decent for English. I would agree that in terms of league tables (however silly they may be deemed to be) York comes out as the better university with it being top 10 most of the time in comparison to Exeter's top 20 ranking. You could also make the case that it is better for English, however having looked into it, both now and before, there doesn't appear to be a significant quality difference. And I am speaking semi-objectively here - this is not me being "I'm going to Exeter and therefore I am finding reasons to justify how prestigious it is." Besides, I've been desperately trying to decide between the two; if I thought Exeter was a lot worse for English than York, then I would have made that a reason not to go.

Thanks though, sorry if that came across as aggressive - wasn't meant that way!!!
Reply 585
Which college are people thinking of applying to and why? :smile:
So it went from 6th to 1st? That's surprising. I didn't know that and therefore stand corrected.

I can never decide whether Exeter seems a bit overrated for English or not :colondollar: but obviously if it's topped the RAE then it must be very good, though our department edges it for me because I know how good the teaching is here and I've still never come across an English course that looks as good as York's. Exeter is a lovely place.
Original post by rainbow drops
So it went from 6th to 1st? That's surprising. I didn't know that and therefore stand corrected.

I can never decide whether Exeter seems a bit overrated for English or not :colondollar: but obviously if it's topped the RAE then it must be very good, though our department edges it for me because I know how good the teaching is here and I've still never come across an English course that looks as good as York's. Exeter is a lovely place.

Well I've been googling lol and I just cannot find a table that supports its #1 standing in research in English, HOWEVER when I went on the open day last year it was one of the main selling points and it does say it on their website lol....

Oh wait, stop press - basically both York and Exeter have a 45 in 4*research (not entirely sure what that means besides they have a lot of 4* research), but that is not counting the other research they have. So York tops the table as York has more 3*research than Exeter does. So cumulatively, taking into account all the research grades they were awarded, York is better but they have the same amount of world leading research.

No I hear you, last year it took me a long time to figure out precisely how good Exeter was beyond hype/derision. And I still don't really know, but I'm fairly sure it's in the "not too shabby" column :tongue:. Plus my best friend is there doing English (and she is the kind of candidate who really should have been able to pick and choose where she went - 10A*s at GCSE, A*AAA, 100% in English A level e.t.c. - though obviously UCAS doesn't work like that lol) and she loves it - both teaching wise and as a place to live.
I really doubt Exeter and York are that different in terms of the quality of the degree and of the students. They're both competitive and generally considered good, so I'd have though the actual course content and location should be a lot more important when you're making a decision :dontknow:
Reply 589
Original post by alwatkins1991
I never got student discount! I wasn't sure how to go about getting a student card, as no one at school had one. I don't really know anyone at birmingham, i know of people there, but none of my friends go. I applied blind to york, but my sister was already there and she said it was good. so it will be all good in the end!
I don't think you really need to think too much about uni at the moment anyway! Student finance opens in a couple weeks, but once that is done, there is nothing really to do for it until August!
Yeah moving is annoying, but to be honest it is more the uncertainty about what we are doing that is annoying me. We were supposed to find out about our posting and stuff at the end of february, but now that we might not be doing that has just thrown confusion over everything :confused:
I would do the same I think, but i know that if i have savings kept to one side i would end up spending them on other things because i would rely on them in my budget! I think not having savings at uni is going to help me budget more (if that makes any kind of sense) even though i wont have that safety cusion.

Woaah sorry, lost track of all this lately! Ahh just wait till you discover student discount then... :smile: At least you had your sister's word though, yeah I'm really looking forward to going actually, it all worked out so well :smile: Planning to start the student finance stuff soon - it just looks like a bit of a hassle at the moment and i really cba :smile:
I know what you mean, anything decided as of yet? I'm going to take like a back-up fund to uni but Im not too bad with money - I go through spending rampages where I just buy everything but mist of the time Im fairly sane with money! It's probably a good idea though, it's going to be hard to learn to stick to a budget but not having the temptation there probably isn't a bad thing. Yeah but you'll have your parents as a back-up back-up safety cushion hopefully so it'll be alright :biggrin:
Reply 590
Sorry for failing on the reply front...

yeah gap year brings out weird hobbies, there's so much stuff i wanna do but can't afford/maybe i've convinced myself i don't have time?! dunno how that one works haha. oh no! i'm sorry you got laid off
well as for recipes - today i'm planning on making this http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lemon_cake_29430
the baking made easy by bbc with loraine pascale has some nice savoury and sweet baking recipes. i'm kinda disappointed with my hummingbird book - i only like 1/3 of the recipes IF THAT, i don't wanna make ham and mushroom savoury muffins EW!
i never skype my friends, i really should - but most of us are gap yearing and those at uni are sorta rude now! i only ever skype my boyfriend! will have probs set up skype for my parents before i go though, so they can sit my dog up on the chair haha

I really should be reading a lot more in this gap year, but its like my other strange new interests are now more important :P Maybe you have, you seem quite concerned about the money side (and i dont really blame you!) so maybe you have convinced yourself you dont want to! It was a long-term temp job so never was gonna last for ages just was laid off with very little notice! But enjoying not doing much at the moment :smile: Thanks for the recipe - i actually made lemon cupcakes the other day. I made butter icing too which was the most sickly thing (yet addictive) ever and the excessive amount of cake I ate is going to lead to obesity. Savoury muffins? those words dont belong together... blaspheme! The majority of my friends are at uni so skype has recently become a really good friend of mine, but thats such a good idea :P I'm going to have to train my parents up on it... :biggrin:

Well I've been googling lol and I just cannot find a table that supports its #1 standing in research in English, HOWEVER when I went on the open day last year it was one of the main selling points and it does say it on their website lol....

Oh wait, stop press - basically both York and Exeter have a 45 in 4*research (not entirely sure what that means besides they have a lot of 4* research), but that is not counting the other research they have. So York tops the table as York has more 3*research than Exeter does. So cumulatively, taking into account all the research grades they were awarded, York is better but they have the same amount of world leading research.

No I hear you, last year it took me a long time to figure out precisely how good Exeter was beyond hype/derision. And I still don't really know, but I'm fairly sure it's in the "not too shabby" column :tongue:. Plus my best friend is there doing English (and she is the kind of candidate who really should have been able to pick and choose where she went - 10A*s at GCSE, A*AAA, 100% in English A level e.t.c. - though obviously UCAS doesn't work like that lol) and she loves it - both teaching wise and as a place to live.

Sorry to jump in here but I had the decision between York and Exeter (for English) to make too! The courses are actually very similar but I really liked the look of York's. Both Uni's have great reputations and people seem to like studying and living at both - which is a good thing as I guess you can't really go wrong with your decision :smile: One of Exeter's good points though, for english, is that they do an English course where you can spend the second year in North America (From being stalkerish I know youre already over there, so it could be a good idea if you like it there? I know one of the colleges they go to is Vassar which is outside NY). Although its a separate course, when I went to the open day my tour guide said that it was offered to the other english students as well in their first years...
I made my decision based on the fact I preferred York's course and that Exeter is majorly hilly in parts (and I'm a little fed up of hills as I live in Brighton and its not that flat :frown: - although i loved the fact it was by the sea still) I would've been happy to go to Exeter too though, I'm sure it'll be great no matter where you end up :smile:
Original post by rachstarr

Sorry to jump in here but I had the decision between York and Exeter (for English) to make too! The courses are actually very similar but I really liked the look of York's. Both Uni's have great reputations and people seem to like studying and living at both - which is a good thing as I guess you can't really go wrong with your decision :smile: One of Exeter's good points though, for english, is that they do an English course where you can spend the second year in North America (From being stalkerish I know youre already over there, so it could be a good idea if you like it there? I know one of the colleges they go to is Vassar which is outside NY). Although its a separate course, when I went to the open day my tour guide said that it was offered to the other english students as well in their first years...
I made my decision based on the fact I preferred York's course and that Exeter is majorly hilly in parts (and I'm a little fed up of hills as I live in Brighton and its not that flat :frown: - although i loved the fact it was by the sea still) I would've been happy to go to Exeter too though, I'm sure it'll be great no matter where you end up :smile:

Heya! Thanks for the info/opinion. And yep, I totally feel like whichever I choose I will be happy at, which makes it both an easy decision and a hard one as I'm sure you know. Oooh, I didn't realise they offered it to other English students! I would be seriously interested in doing that, not only because I love the states and have so many friends here, but also just seems like a great opportunity to travel. And that's not stalkerish lol, I mean it's in my sig anyway :tongue:

Yeah I live in North London, so the green hills of Exeter have a great appeal :smile:. I'm sad to let go of York since I was really invested in going there and was so excited about choosing a college, but I'm feeling more and more sure that now I have the chance to go to Exeter, it's where I want to be. Also because my best friend is there I've been to visit so it already feels like a place I know well and would be comfortable in. Plus last year my plan was - do gap year, go to Exeter until they didn't let me defer, so it's nice that it did happen in the end :smile:
Reply 592
Heya! Thanks for the info/opinion. And yep, I totally feel like whichever I choose I will be happy at, which makes it both an easy decision and a hard one as I'm sure you know. Oooh, I didn't realise they offered it to other English students! I would be seriously interested in doing that, not only because I love the states and have so many friends here, but also just seems like a great opportunity to travel. And that's not stalkerish lol, I mean it's in my sig anyway :tongue:

Yeah I live in North London, so the green hills of Exeter have a great appeal :smile:. I'm sad to let go of York since I was really invested in going there and was so excited about choosing a college, but I'm feeling more and more sure that now I have the chance to go to Exeter, it's where I want to be. Also because my best friend is there I've been to visit so it already feels like a place I know well and would be comfortable in. Plus last year my plan was - do gap year, go to Exeter until they didn't let me defer, so it's nice that it did happen in the end :smile:

Just to give a different opinion on this (albeit negative :redface:), I was told at the open day that it would be "near impossible" to switch courses to the North America one as they have very limited places. They said they'd only offer it to other people if they had a large number of people who missed their offers (and by 'large' he meant 3 or 4)..
Original post by Vekeh
Just to give a different opinion on this (albeit negative :redface:), I was told at the open day that it would be "near impossible" to switch courses to the North America one as they have very limited places. They said they'd only offer it to other people if they had a large number of people who missed their offers (and by 'large' he meant 3 or 4)..

No problem, thanks! I'll ask my friend who is doing English at Exeter and see what she says, she'll probably be able to give me the full story!

I really should be reading a lot more in this gap year, but its like my other strange new interests are now more important :P Maybe you have, you seem quite concerned about the money side (and i dont really blame you!) so maybe you have convinced yourself you dont want to! It was a long-term temp job so never was gonna last for ages just was laid off with very little notice! But enjoying not doing much at the moment :smile: Thanks for the recipe - i actually made lemon cupcakes the other day. I made butter icing too which was the most sickly thing (yet addictive) ever and the excessive amount of cake I ate is going to lead to obesity. Savoury muffins? those words dont belong together... blaspheme! The majority of my friends are at uni so skype has recently become a really good friend of mine, but thats such a good idea :P I'm going to have to train my parents up on it... :biggrin:

well now i do have a job - working at my dad's office. it's good pay and good hours plus if i'm like oh i don't wanna work friday, it's fine. so it's pretty much perfect cos i can work til like the week before york and all the times i want a holiday or a week off for my birthday it's all good! besides being boring and today i had to answer loads of phones and people were demanding and i know nothing and am USELESS on the telephone, but at least now i'm not bored and money is coming in :smile:
they sound nice, cept i don't like icing at all - it's really weird i just don't like it! i find it sickly and not like real food, but then again i don't eat sweets cos i don't really like the taste/see the point, i'm more about chocolate!
and yeah - i think i'm more worried about money cos i know how bad a shopping habit i have. i haven't been a lot recently, it's a silly time to buy stuff atm though cos it's not warm enough for summer clothes and the weather is all eratic, like last week i went out in a top and cardigan, and then today i had 3 layers AND a coat and gloves!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by roooobyn.
Any sociology firmers here? Show yourselves! :smile:

Will be firming Sociology and Social Psychology if that counts :biggrin: So happy i got an offer, really hope i get the grades now!
Reply 596
Original post by The_fantastic_D
Will be firming Sociology and Social Psychology if that counts :biggrin: So happy i got an offer, really hope i get the grades now!

Woooo! :biggrin: Aw good luck! Where are you from then? And what college are you considering? :smile:
When I was referring to the RAE, I was referring to the 2008 one where York are top. The entry standards thing is that on most league table York English students seem to have an average of 30-40 UCAS points extra, which is pretty significant.

But yeah, I could understand choosing Exeter over York if other things point somewhat that way.
travel insurance can be cheap - on the post office you can get worldwide for a year on decent coverage for about 100 quid, it's really good!! 55 days will feel more than long enough, have you decided where abouts you'll go? i get all my travelling happiness (but also jealousy) from everyone i knows routes etc. i even know all the places i would go if i could :frown: i made a list, so lame haha. did i mention STA is crazy cheap? i reckon i already did a while ago!
i think i'll just get jobs in the summers between university, and just live off birthday presents and christmas presents, cos its basics six months between each, i was born at a perfect time. urgh you could only get me to do any watersports in the north sea for at least 100 quid! maybe that'll change as my financial situation gets worse
getting up at 6 is plain disgusting, 7 is MANAGEABLE, but pisses me off a lot
nah bath is my favourite city ever, it wasn't til up to about 3 weeks ago, before that i preferred newcastle (random i know) and london, but now bath is WHERE IT'S AT, i dunno about the uni, never visited it but i'm sure it's on a parr with york. they want a*aa for econ though hence why i never applied. would've been owned. i probs had more chance there than LSE though but i didn't think that at the time. yeah one guy when i went after work from paddington to bath, he was in a suit and got off at chippenham, like 100 miles from london!! why doesn't he just MOVE!! i suppose it is a really fast train but still, must cost a fortune. travel is quite refreshing, but if you have to do it a lot then it becomes dull

well you can get a two months travellers insurance for ~£45 which is pretty good. The plan as it stands is to go to Thailand, then Cambodia, then Vietnam. Yeah you did, STA is super cheeep.
Haha, i think that sounds like a good plan. Unfortuneatly my birthday is 5 days before christmas, so not really spread out! and i dont really get much for my birthday anymore :frown: I'd jump in the north sea for £100! people go surfing and stuff here, so cant be that bad. In the summer its not that bad anyway, i had a little paddle last year, and my feet didnt fall off, so it musnt have been that bad!
I have never been to newcastle, so wouldn't know how to compare it, but Oxford is my fave city, that or Edinburgh (which is soo nice).
Loads of people commute like that, they can probably claim travel expenses. And if they have kids, schools are much better a bit further out, what with catchment areas and all that jazz. Though tbf, if i can afford it, ill be sending my kids off to boarding/private school anyway, so wont matter.

Woaah sorry, lost track of all this lately! Ahh just wait till you discover student discount then... :smile: At least you had your sister's word though, yeah I'm really looking forward to going actually, it all worked out so well :smile: Planning to start the student finance stuff soon - it just looks like a bit of a hassle at the moment and i really cba :smile:
I know what you mean, anything decided as of yet? I'm going to take like a back-up fund to uni but Im not too bad with money - I go through spending rampages where I just buy everything but mist of the time Im fairly sane with money! It's probably a good idea though, it's going to be hard to learn to stick to a budget but not having the temptation there probably isn't a bad thing. Yeah but you'll have your parents as a back-up back-up safety cushion hopefully so it'll be alright :biggrin:

Ah im so up for this discount! Im looking forward to going to the student unions as well. Ive been to the st andrews one a few times, and its ****, but its soo cheap for drink, especially when everywhere else in town is so expensive.
Yeah i cant be bothered with it, especially as i have to ring up because they think im starting my second year cos i deferred but they didnt sort it properly when i cancelled it :angry:
Im the same really, if i can get out of the habit of spending, i wont spend any for ages, but then i just have a major splash out! yeah i think uni will be alright for money in the end, everyone else seems to manage!
Reply 599
Thread Title
University of York Firmers 2011!

Original post by alwatkins1991
Im looking forward to going to the student unions

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending