The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilyalicelouise
Sorry it's a bit late....

Lily

Conditional offer for English Lang & Linguistics :colone: (AAB)

I HAVE NO CLUE FOR ACCOMODATION...I need help!

(Also, my insurance is also York. French and Linguistics. This is how much I love it....)

I am so excited, its actually a bit bizarre :smile:

x

Same course! :biggrin:

I'm also bizarrely excited :smile: Just hope I get my grades now.
University of York
York
Original post by lilyalicelouise
Sorry it's a bit late....

Lily

Conditional offer for English Lang & Linguistics :colone: (AAB)

I HAVE NO CLUE FOR ACCOMODATION...I need help!

(Also, my insurance is also York. French and Linguistics. This is how much I love it....)

I am so excited, its actually a bit bizarre :smile:

x

That's my course too! Hello!!
I think I'm going to firm York... it's between that and Queen Mary, but York kind of has my heart.

I'm Kaya, I have an unconditional for Eng Lang & Linguistics. I'm thinking of Alcuin!
Original post by AirRaven
Alcuin College is "the way to go" in the same sense as the Battle of the Somme made for a jolly relaxing day out.

I'm sensing jealousy from someone who didn't make it into Alcuin... :P
Original post by alwatkins1991
Yeah sure it did :tongue:
woop... i now only have one more of my three 12 hour shifts this weekend left, then tomorrow and tuesday off :biggrin: I hope its as sunny as today, should be goood times!

uerhg TWELVE HOUR SHIFTS!! 7 hours bores me enough! gonna take a magazine tomorrow cos i have nothing to do til about 1pm haha. ah yes your massive holiday awaits soon too!! got back into economics yesterday cos i saw my old econ chum, he's like 10000x better at econ than me though!
Reply 785
Name: Simon

Course: MMath (Comp Sci. / Maths joint)

Offer: Unconditional (In a gap year and was lucky enough to get a full-time job)

Accommodation: Was really impressed with Goodricke when I went for the Comp Sci. open day and it would allow me to sleep in for half of my lectures.

Additional Info: Now that I've firmed I'm getting really excited about going. Also, I can't wait to not have to wake up at 7:30 every weekday.

Sounds like fun! I bough a mini whiteboard thing to put a to do list on, so i could prevent myself from procrastination, but ive not even taken it out of the plastic bag yet :colondollar:

I've got a full size whiteboard in my room atm, but the problem is that I tend to procrastinate when trying to use it to stop myself from procrastinating.

Starbucks/coffee shops ruins my bank account i think ,it all adds up!

That's something that never occurred to me... I think I'm going to have to start putting aside some money so that I can afford my daily tea requirements.

Alcuins the way to go! I just want it as its right next to the economics dept :biggrin:

Well, you'll have about 3/10 hours there a week. Anywhere on campus is just as good tbh :p:
Name: Jonathan

Course: MMath Computer Science/Mathematics 5 Years

Offer: Conditional AAB

Accomodation: Goodricke does look really good, but I might end up in one of the catered halls on the main campus since I'll be running between the two for lectures anyway.

Additional Information: Really excited about going and the end of school and A2 exams can't come soon enough really, I can't wait to start, I've already ordered most of the books on the preparatory CompSci reading list but I can't find a preparatory Maths list, does anyone know if there is one, or could anyone recommend me any books? That'd be really helpful.
Reply 788
Original post by Zagreus_92
Additional Information: Really excited about going and the end of school and A2 exams can't come soon enough really, I can't wait to start, I've already ordered most of the books on the preparatory CompSci reading list but I can't find a preparatory Maths list, does anyone know if there is one, or could anyone recommend me any books? That'd be really helpful.

I haven't seen a preparatory list for maths, but if you want to go a bit further than the A level syllabus I would recommend A Concise Introduction to Mathematics; however, I'm pretty sure that in the first term everything is retaught so that everyone is on the same page.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by xsinfinity
That's my course too! Hello!!

Ahh! hello! Im so excited :smile:

what accomodation are you thinking of? I quite like the idea of vanbrugh...but not sure x
Original post by AlexAntiHeroine
Same course! :biggrin:

I'm also bizarrely excited :smile: Just hope I get my grades now.

Woooo :wink: i remember a thousand years ago when we were panicking together about getting in x
Reply 791
Original post by agnezmo
Anyone knows how long will York send us the official offer letter/accommodation pack? I just firmed my unconditional offer from York last week. I need it asap for my govt scholarship process.

I got my offer letter just over a week after my track offer, the track came on the Tuesday and the letter not that Saturday but the one after that :smile: No idea about accommodation as I'm conditional so I get it in like August.

Anyway, I should be doing coursework... :shifty:
Original post by AirRaven
Alcuin College is "the way to go" in the same sense as the Battle of the Somme made for a jolly relaxing day out.

Where would you suggest then? I only said that because that is where i am currently planning on applying! It also seems really nice.

Original post by hannah9000
uerhg TWELVE HOUR SHIFTS!! 7 hours bores me enough! gonna take a magazine tomorrow cos i have nothing to do til about 1pm haha. ah yes your massive holiday awaits soon too!! got back into economics yesterday cos i saw my old econ chum, he's like 10000x better at econ than me though!

Yeah tell me about it!! They are all over now though thank god, cheeky monday tuesday weekend for me :biggrin: You can read a magazine at work?! If we chat to each other for like a minute we get shouted at, bad times. It does, haven't actually booked it properly off work yet, damn procrastination haha. Still, social life here is picking up a bit, but all my friends that go to the uni have gone home for their intersemester break thing, so now a bit bored! Thats geek, I cant even contemplate doing anything remotely economics related at the moment, requires too much brain usage. Out of the 7 of us in my econ class, only one was probably better than me, but we were really competitive (sorry if that makes me sound really arrogant, but we were the only ones to get A's, so I think its kind of justified)

Original post by mwnciau

I've got a full size whiteboard in my room atm, but the problem is that I tend to procrastinate when trying to use it to stop myself from procrastinating.

That's something that never occurred to me... I think I'm going to have to start putting aside some money so that I can afford my daily tea requirements.

What like a proper teachers one? Mine is tiny, and my to do list has only four things on, as of this morning only one of them has now been done. But to be fair one is 'earn money' so that will take some time!

I just another £2.75 on coffee. If I have 3 coffees a week, thats an extra £10 just wasted! which will be like £200 by the time I go travelling :eek: But i already have bought a coffee perculator for my room at uni :cool:

Original post by -WhySoSerious?
Well, you'll have about 3/10 hours there a week. Anywhere on campus is just as good tbh :p:

Well....I thought my logic was justified! But it is in the middle of campus. In the end does it actually matter which college I live in anyway? I will only be there for 33 weeks (which is also why I chose alcuin as only a couple colleges do that length let)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 793
Name: Rachel

Course: Politics, Philosophy and Economics

Offer: Conditional (AAA)

firmed York last week and so excited! have been talking to people about accomodation and i know lots of people in other uni's have applied for theirs already. do we not need to do anything untill results day and then form a mad rush chosing what we want then? just seems slightly last minute to me..
Reply 794
What like a proper teachers one? Mine is tiny, and my to do list has only four things on, as of this morning only one of them has now been done. But to be fair one is 'earn money' so that will take some time!

Yeah, it's really useful for jotting down ideas, dates and, when I was doing my A levels, doing revision on.

I think the best thing to do with a to do list is to keep things small so they seem less daunting you at least feel as if you're doing something.

I just another £2.75 on coffee. If I have 3 coffees a week, thats an extra £10 just wasted! which will be like £200 by the time I go travelling :eek: But i already have bought a coffee perculator for my room at uni :cool:

I was trying to sort out some money numbers yesterday and I worked out that I would probably spend about £2.50 a week on tea bags alone :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by mwnciau
Yeah, it's really useful for jotting down ideas, dates and, when I was doing my A levels, doing revision on.

I think the best thing to do with a to do list is to keep things small so they seem less daunting you at least feel as if you're doing something.

That is pretty useful, i just used post it notes! Yeah, well I don't really have many important things that need doing in my life at the moment, the main one was sort out student finance, which is all done now. Life is too short to make a massive list of stuff, I'd rather draw pictures on it haha
Name: Martin

Course: History (any others doing this?)

Offer: Conditional (1.6 Abitur + 13 Points in History - German Abitur...)

Damn it. I haven't looked at accommodation at all. Or colleges, for that matter. Is there still time or am I late, as ever?
Original post by idiotheque
Name: Martin

Course: History (any others doing this?)

Offer: Conditional (1.6 Abitur + 13 Points in History - German Abitur...)

Damn it. I haven't looked at accommodation at all. Or colleges, for that matter. Is there still time or am I late, as ever?

You have until at least the beginning of August, so there's still plenty of time :smile:

Yeah tell me about it!! They are all over now though thank god, cheeky monday tuesday weekend for me :biggrin: You can read a magazine at work?! If we chat to each other for like a minute we get shouted at, bad times. It does, haven't actually booked it properly off work yet, damn procrastination haha. Still, social life here is picking up a bit, but all my friends that go to the uni have gone home for their intersemester break thing, so now a bit bored! Thats geek, I cant even contemplate doing anything remotely economics related at the moment, requires too much brain usage. Out of the 7 of us in my econ class, only one was probably better than me, but we were really competitive (sorry if that makes me sound really arrogant, but we were the only ones to get A's, so I think its kind of justified)

ah i only have 4 more work days til weekend, then 1 work day til another weekend of days i booked off! yes i can read a magazine at work - if i run out of things to do but it hasn't happened yet!! we were ridiculously competitive within our posse in our class! it was good, nice morale and whatnot and i used to love doing the essays and then when we got them back. so LAME!
i just got the best deal ever
4 glass clip photo frames 10 x 12 inches for 8 quid!! cant' bloody find 8 x 12s anywhere though
Add me to the list please. =]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending