The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Has anyone actually received confirmation from York for their firm place? I firmed sometime in February and haven't heard squat!
University of York
York
Reply 1581
Original post by LostHorizons
The reading list is exactly the same as the 2010 one on the website :biggrin: Is Rear Window any good?

I can't find the one on the website :redface:, I can see the list fine, it's the 'Dear Applicant' bit that doesn't load properly. Does it say if we're meant to have read the novels before term begins?

And yeaaah, it's a very clever film :biggrin:
Reply 1582
Original post by Wedgely
Has anyone actually received confirmation from York for their firm place? I firmed sometime in February and haven't heard squat!

No, I haven't heard anything from them either :s-smilie:
Reply 1583
Original post by Wedgely

I had an email saying "congratulations on receiving an offer" after I firmed, but that doesn't really sound like a confirmation.

I did get an unofficial confirmation when I had to email them about the course though.

EDIT: They have to potentially wait until the 26th of July for everyone to firm/decline so they might be waiting for that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Vekeh
I can't find the one on the website :redface:, I can see the list fine, it's the 'Dear Applicant' bit that doesn't load properly. Does it say if we're meant to have read the novels before term begins?

And yeaaah, it's a very clever film :biggrin:

http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/engl/ugrad/index.htm

It's on the right-hand side of that page, under 'core texts for 2010 entrants'. The email says you are "encouraged to explore the anthologies and read the set texts in time for the beginning of the course", which I guess is a polite way of saying you have to read them before you get there :tongue: do you want me to PM you the text of the email?

Edit: I got an email congratulating me on my offer (over a year after they gave me the offer...), but I've not had any real confirmation that I've firmed. I've just had the email today and an email a couple of weeks ago about when I can pick accommodation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1585
Original post by Wedgely

Same :frown: dw, its probably nothing, just the way they roll
But hey, I'm going for history too! :smile:
Reply 1586
http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/engl/ugrad/index.htm

It's on the right-hand side of that page, under 'core texts for 2010 entrants'. The email says you are "encouraged to explore the anthologies and read the set texts in time for the beginning of the course", which I guess is a polite way of saying you have to read them before you get there :tongue: do you want me to PM you the text of the email?

Edit: I got an email congratulating me on my offer (over a year after they gave me the offer...), but I've not had any real confirmation that I've firmed. I've just had the email today and an email a couple of weeks ago about when I can pick accommodation.

Yes please :biggrin: The page that starts
'You have received the offer of a place to read En
more about the early stages of the course. We are therefore'
would be nice :smile: You got an email about accommmodation? Did it just say the date and nothing else of real importance?
Ahhh cool! Got the reading list e-mail too...! Although, I have done all that reading already. Just the film now then, I suppose. Shame they took Beckett's 'Catastrophe' off the list - I wrote up so many notes for that little guy! Anyway, AHH CAN'T WAIT! :biggrin:
Original post by LouiseChapman
Ahhh cool! Got the reading list e-mail too...! Although, I have done all that reading already. Just the film now then, I suppose. Shame they took Beckett's 'Catastrophe' off the list - I wrote up so many notes for that little guy! Anyway, AHH CAN'T WAIT! :biggrin:

But they put Endgame on! Eeeee :biggrin:
But they put Endgame on! Eeeee :biggrin:

I know, I bloody love 'Endgame' too! Let's hope we get a bit of Godot throw in for good measure.

I'm not thrilled that the Shakespeare is staying the same... I was secretly vying for 'Twelfth Night' or maybe even 'Hamlet'. But really, can't complain, it's a great group of texts to start us off!
Original post by LouiseChapman
I know, I bloody love 'Endgame' too! Let's hope we get a bit of Godot throw in for good measure.

I'm not thrilled that the Shakespeare is staying the same... I was secretly vying for 'Twelfth Night' or maybe even 'Hamlet'. But really, can't complain, it's a great group of texts to start us off!

The only complaint I have is against Mrs Dalloway :tongue: I used to love it, but I'm not much a fan of Woolf any more.

Also, are you already making notes for university?!
urgh, Woolf. I'd rather read pretty much anything other than her oversentimental piles of ****. Not the most intellectual response in the world but I've had an exam today so I don't care.

Rear Window is a great film. I wasn't expecting it to but it ended up being one of my highlights of the first module :smile:

edit: also, notes?! WHAT IS THIS. I don't even have my reading list for autumn 2011 yet and that's for a special module!
(edited 12 years ago)
The only complaint I have is against Mrs Dalloway :tongue: I used to love it, but I'm not much a fan of Woolf any more.

Also, are you already making notes for university?!

Ahh... I see. I'm a bit of a Woolf fancier myself and was really happy to see Dalloway made it to the reading list. It seems she divides opinion in a big way though, which I can completely understand, I look forward to hearing what the lecturers have to say about her and her work.

Ha, notes. I haven't been making them religiously, but I work a 40 hour week as a receptionist in the most dead company in the world, and I literally would be pulling my hair out if I didn't have my books and wasn't making notes of some description. I only really do it as a boredom-blitzer though - I'm definitely not THAT naturally conscientious!
Hi all,

Sorry if I haven't grasped the right way of posting... I'm new here.

Anyhow, I firmed York with Leeds as backup to do Philosophy, potentially changine to PPE if I get in.

I hold a conditional offer of AAB but I'm doing 4 A2s (Philosophy + Ethics, Politics, English and Drama) so I'm sort of hopping A*BBC or A*BBB will be enough.

Just did Philosophy + Ethics and Politics exams today :smile:

What's everyone's interests / thoughts about going to York? it's a pretty good University, it seems.

Cheers.
Original post by loonyplatypus
Yay, nice to see lots of new and enthusiastic people coming to York next year! You'll be the freshers then :colone:

If anyone has any questions about York, feel free to ask :smile:

Hi :smile:

I noticed that when I visited (from Devon so I've only visited once) there wasn't a "student union" as such - or generally a place to go between lectures / work? Is that true?

Cheers :smile:
SOOO excited to have got my reading list!
Only four months to go! :smile:
Original post by ojpearson
Hi :smile:

I noticed that when I visited (from Devon so I've only visited once) there wasn't a "student union" as such - or generally a place to go between lectures / work? Is that true?

Cheers :smile:

I don't think there is a main student union, but there are different bars/cafes in some of the colleges so it wont be that bad!
Original post by ojpearson
Hi all,

Sorry if I haven't grasped the right way of posting... I'm new here.

Anyhow, I firmed York with Leeds as backup to do Philosophy, potentially changine to PPE if I get in.

I hold a conditional offer of AAB but I'm doing 4 A2s (Philosophy + Ethics, Politics, English and Drama) so I'm sort of hopping A*BBC or A*BBB will be enough.

Just did Philosophy + Ethics and Politics exams today :smile:

What's everyone's interests / thoughts about going to York? it's a pretty good University, it seems.

Cheers.

Just so that you know, switching to PPE is rather difficult - usually impossible. You'd stand more of a chance if you got better grades, I'm sure, but even then it's not likely that you'd be able to.
Reply 1598
Original post by Vekeh
My reading list is broken, I can only see half of the first page, and it's cut directly in half down the middle so it doesn't even make any sense :sad:

I can see the second page though, I'm really happy that the set film is Rear Window - I studied it in Film last year :awesome:

Is this in google docs/gmail?
If you download it rather than jsut viewing it in a different window you can see all of it, cause I had the same problem :smile:
Reply 1599
Original post by rainbow drops
urgh, Woolf. I'd rather read pretty much anything other than her oversentimental piles of ****. Not the most intellectual response in the world but I've had an exam today so I don't care.

I can cope with Woolf, it's the people who try to copy her without the technical ability, like Ali bloody Smith, that I can't bear. You can't just use incorrect grammar and call it post-modern! And no, you're not writing in the style of Larkin, you're just using a lot of profanities.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending