The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alwatkins1991
I know doing that would be a struggle!!

and to your second bit, my username is basically my whole name and the year i was born in....not great for internet anonmity! Besides, why would you want to hide?

Not particularly anonymous, no :tongue: I don't know, really - it's not like I suspect any of you of being mass-murderers who'll come to my house and kill me if you know my full name or anything :biggrin: So I'm not sure. :smile:
University of York
York
Original post by -WhySoSerious?
:yeah: woo!

Just met a load of belgians in Nice as well - you guys are awesome. Which area are you from?

North of brussels, where were the belgians you met from, so I know that I don't have to sart worrying :^_^:

Are you going to York? what course? Have you decided yet on accomodation?
Original post by trollman
I now have a full time job!

yay gav - is it the law firm in the big bad city?? the one you had to get a 2:1 for? i hope to see you one day before i grace the north!
Original post by lexisisis

Original post by lexisisis
North of brussels, where were the belgians you met from, so I know that I don't have to sart worrying :^_^:

Are you going to York? what course? Have you decided yet on accomodation?

Haha, Brussels, Antwerp and Leuven.

I'll be going into third year next year :shock:
Original post by doleful
I've met and exceeded the conditions of my offer for English, so I guess I'll see you all guys at York this October! I'm veeery excited! (:

I have been looking through the accommodation pages recently and I decided that I'll probably go for Vanbrugh. just because it's cheap. could anyone comment on its social side or other pluses/minuses? thanks (:

Congrats! I'm going to be doing English too so will see you there! Have you started reading anything from the reading list?

I've heard really good things about Vanbrugh - good atmosphere and nice accommodation which is fairly central - I'm torn between Vanbrugh and Alcuin! :smile:
If anyone wants some of the texts for the first term reading list, pm me I'll sell stuff on. Norton anthologies (both v good condition, poetry written on in places but not much), mrs. dalloway, american short stories. lots of the extra stuff, like a glossary of literary terms, the drama handbook and others.
Reply 1786
Original post by rachstarr
Congrats! I'm going to be doing English too so will see you there! Have you started reading anything from the reading list?

I've heard really good things about Vanbrugh - good atmosphere and nice accommodation which is fairly central - I'm torn between Vanbrugh and Alcuin! :smile:

thanks! no, I was eager to start with Shakespeare but my library doesn't have it in English. the librarian offered a Hannah Montana book though, she said it'll be great for me if I want to improve my English...
anyway, I guess I'll just have to buy it. I would like to buy the theory and criticism book but I assume it's heavy. and I'm already worried how I'll be able to fit my life into a 20kg bag. :/
Original post by doleful
thanks! no, I was eager to start with Shakespeare but my library doesn't have it in English. the librarian offered a Hannah Montana book though, she said it'll be great for me if I want to improve my English...
anyway, I guess I'll just have to buy it. I would like to buy the theory and criticism book but I assume it's heavy. and I'm already worried how I'll be able to fit my life into a 20kg bag. :/

Haha, not sure if Hannah Montana is going to be on the syllabus anytime soon too...Helpful librarian!
I have the Anthology of Poetry and it's pretty weighty to be honest, Beowulf, Mrs Dalloway and Midsummer's Nights Dream are all relatively lightweight though. Could always lug it about as hand luggage? :tongue: I guess you can pick up a lot of stuff when you're here but wow, that sounds horrible and impossible!
Original post by AlexAntiHeroine
Not particularly anonymous, no :tongue: I don't know, really - it's not like I suspect any of you of being mass-murderers who'll come to my house and kill me if you know my full name or anything :biggrin: So I'm not sure. :smile:

True,,, but i suppose there is always a risk of creepy people :0 but i dont think many people stalk guys, or would come all the way to scotland to do it so i think im safe!
Hey :smile:
Is anyone hoping to begin studying philosophy and sociology at York this October?
Reply 1790
Congratulations! Your place at The University of York (Y50) to study Bioarchaeology (V403) has been confirmed.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :biggrin:
I got that job but that is a campus job. This one is in a restaurant in St Pauls, 40 hours a week, decent pay. Gonna pay off my overdraft before uni starts!

what is a campus job?? can't believe you have a hefty overdraft! bit too many drinks on nights out??

40hrs is well good in restaurants/bar work sorta stuff. some people get so screwed shift wise!! is it s****y? (yes, s****y is the kind of word a middle aged mother would use, but i'm using it). or i could use snazzy - is it snazzy and/or s****y?
I'm a campus ambassador for the firm, so I organise their campus events, tell everyone how amazing the firm is etc. It's not that big £400, mostly from drinking tbh.

What is s****Y? s h i t t y ? It's alright, hours are okay, money is good and the staff are nice so happy days!

What have you been up to?

HAHAHAHA i said S W A N K Y but obvs that's a bit like W A N K Y! so they blocked it out hahahaaaa. oh tsr.

same old boring office job. REALLY want to quit but general life is so expensive even without a social life and i need to make a bit more before i can afford a holiday! i want to make myself redundant. i was too efficient for the last 4 months now i've run out of paperwork to sort, gah!
Reply 1793
People who are planning to take an LFA course: do you know when we're supposed to register for it, during fresher's week or before we start? Can we take more than one (though I know that only one will be free)?
Original post by Vekeh
People who are planning to take an LFA course: do you know when we're supposed to register for it, during fresher's week or before we start? Can we take more than one (though I know that only one will be free)?

You'll be told about registering for the compulsory LFA course by the English department. When you're issued a university email address just keep checking it for info.

You can take more than one but I wouldn't recommend it tbh.
I still can't decide if I want to live in Fairfax House or not. It's only 5 minutes from campus but I'm really unsure about living off-campus...
Reply 1796
Original post by rainbow drops
You'll be told about registering for the compulsory LFA course by the English department. When you're issued a university email address just keep checking it for info.

You can take more than one but I wouldn't recommend it tbh.

Oh, why not? Too much work?
Reply 1797
Original post by ilickbatteries
I still can't decide if I want to live in Fairfax House or not. It's only 5 minutes from campus but I'm really unsure about living off-campus...

If you're wavering, give some serious thought as to whether there's anywhere else you'd genuinely want to live as much as Fairfax.

It's a fine, fine place indeed- you'll have a great year there, no doubt. But if you're that keen on having the traditional York "campus experience", you might just be better off going for campus accommodation- they're all* quite good for that, really- Halifax and Goodricke being exceptions, for obvious reasons.
Original post by Vekeh
Oh, why not? Too much work?

Well, because doing two would more than likely have a negative effect on the one which is working towards your foreign literature module in your degree, because you wouldn't be able to spend as much time working on it. UNLESS you have an A Level in the language you plan to choose for the literature module, in which case your preparatory classes for that wouldn't start until second year, so you could do a different language in your first year.

It's up to you but I personally would not study two different LFA languages in one year. You'd have to juggle both of those and the usual essays for English modules. It'd be a bit much, first year is supposed to be the doss one :tongue:
I sent them my results two days ago but they haven't confirmed my place yet. Should I start to worry? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending