The Student Room Group

Law- competative??

I was just wondering if law is even that competative since at my school we got quite a few people who are going to do law at uni and to say the least they are not the brightest bunch. I know people who have opted for subjects such as AVCE business and sociology who are applying for law, are there law schools who will actually take people on with weak subjects since i thought law required English???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Akhoza
I was just wondering if law is even that competative since at my school we got quite a few people who are going to do law at uni and to say the least they are not the brightest bunch.

Do they know how to spell competitive?
Reply 2
SlyPie

LLLOOOLLLL :biggrin:
Well it depends if they are looking at the UCL ( :biggrin:) end of the spectrum or the Westminster end.
English is not required. No subjects are.
If you dont think its competitive, I dare you to apply to Cambridge, LSE, Bristol, Durham, UCL and Warwick.
Reply 4
You forgot Oxford in your list........
aqeel1101
You forgot Oxford in your list........

You can't apply to cambridge and oxford
Reply 6
Meat Loaf Rocks
You can't apply to cambridge and oxford

I see the logic....................... :cool:
Reply 7
I dont think its competetive at a lot of unis... just the "red-brick" ones.
Reply 8
Akhoza
I was just wondering if law is even that competative since at my school we got quite a few people who are going to do law at uni and to say the least they are not the brightest bunch. I know people who have opted for subjects such as AVCE business and sociology who are applying for law, are there law schools who will actually take people on with weak subjects since i thought law required English???

In contrast to Medicine, Law is not what one might call 'default competitive'; however, I can safely say that were you to apply to any of the universities mentioned by Paul above, you might well be rejected out of hand. Suck it and see.
Reply 9
You'd be more accurate in saying that Law is easy than uncompetitive.

It received the most applications of any course in the UK for 2005 entry; and a large proportion of those applications came from straight-A students. However, Law is a degree also offered by a number of lack-lustre institutions, in which case it is fair to say that an applicant to such institutions is unlikely to face much competition; but that applies to all subjects generally.

In comparison to most degrees, Law is extremely competitive.
Reply 10
SlyPie

HAHA im no good at english as you can see :p:
Reply 11
Lauren18
You'd be more accurate in saying that Law is easy than uncompetitive.

It received the most applications of any course in the UK for 2005 entry; and a large proportion of those applications came from straight-A students. However, Law is a degree also offered by a number of lack-lustre institutions, in which case it is fair to say that an applicant to such institutions is unlikely to face much competition; but that applies to all subjects generally.

In comparison to most degrees, Law is extremely competitive.

Depending on the standard of our hypothetical 'applicant', mind, relative to their academic peers: it suffices to say that, wherever Law is offered, it will almost invariably be formidably over-subscribed. That doesn't necessarily make it more 'competitive' than Medicine, where most such applications would not even exist in any tenable sense: in the vast majority of cases, it stands to reason that Law be comparatively much less so. However, presuming ambitions with regard to the 'top ten', no definite assurance can be given as to your prospects; and that much is, as they say, a certainty.
Reply 12
Ofcourse it's competitive, especially when looking for a Training Contract, it's like looking for a needle in haystack sadly.
Reply 13
Profesh
Depending on the standard of our hypothetical 'applicant', mind, relative to their academic peers: it suffices to say that, wherever Law is offered, it will almost invariably be formidably over-subscribed. That doesn't necessarily make it more 'competitive' than Medicine, where most such applications would not even exist in any tenable sense: in the vast majority of cases, it stands to reason that Law be comparatively much less so. However, presuming ambitions with regard to the 'top ten', no definite assurance can be given as to your prospects; and that much is, as they say, a certainty.

You know what Profesh... you should draft legislation when you're older. Perfect. Seems like you're reading a lot of complex information, but actually doesn't mean much past the first sentence.
Reply 14
Lauren18
You know what Profesh... you should draft legislation when you're older. Perfect. Seems like you're reading a lot of complex information, but actually doesn't mean much past the first sentence.

I love the Law; the Law loves me: it's reciprocal (or, if you prefer, quid pro quo).
Profesh

Law is less competetive than medicine, but it's still difficult to get into a good uni?
Reply 16
ayaan
Law is less competetive than medicine, but it's still difficult to get into a good uni?

Not necessarily so; more that Medicine, unlike Law, exhibits a definite 'cut-off point' [anything below 'AAB', or thereabouts, if memory serves]. Thus the 'competitive' nature of Law is relative, whereas Medicine's might be deemed normative; and this makes Medicine per se accordingly more 'competitive', outside certain limits.
Profesh
Not necessarily so; more that Medicine, unlike Law, exhibits a definite 'cut-off point' [anything below 'AAB', or thereabouts, if memory serves]. Thus the 'competitive' nature of Law is relative, whereas Medicine's might be deemed normative.

So medicine is more about grades than law?
Reply 18
ayaan
So medicine is more about grades than law?

By default, pretty much. There are 'Law' courses available to applicants who would be deemed insufficiently qualified to study 'Medicine' anywhere that offers it.
Profesh
By default, pretty much. There are 'Law' courses available to applicants who would be deemed insufficiently qualified to study 'Medicine' anywhere that offers it.

I dare you to post a sentance with no more than one thre syllable+ word in it.
I dare you.

Latest

Trending

Trending