The Student Room Group

Is A-Level Maths hard?

I'm predicted to get an A for my GCSE's, Also how many hours do you spend studying/ revising maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NickV
I'm predicted to get an A for my GCSE's, Also how many hours do you spend studying/ revising maths?

This is my first year and I'll finish A-level maths by june (doing A-level f.maths and additional f.maths) Some say that it is hard but I don't think it is that hard. I got an A* (200/200) at GCSE. I don't spend much time revising maths tbh. Quite a few people in my class will tell you that it is hard, including one of my friends who got an A at GCSE.
(edited 13 years ago)
get an A* cuz an A isnt good enough. I spend zero hours revising i just do some past papers occasianally.

as predz :
matz A*
chem A*
physics A
bio B
Reply 3
It's not very hard, frankly. You just need a good teacher and keep up with your workload.
Reply 4
Depends on your brain.

I found it hard work, but not like maths at university where I really felt that however much effort I put in, it just didn't click.

This happened at A-level to a lot of people in my school though, depends on when your brain will just stop getting it
Reply 5
It is a massive step up from GCSE Maths, but as long as you keep up with the work and make sure you know everything as you go along it's not too hard.
Original post by NickV

A-level Maths is not hard if you pay attention and get the work done :smile:

As for hours spent revising, it varies weekly depending on my mood as I self-teach: sometimes little, sometimes several hours.
Reply 7
Well there are some difficult concepts to cover espicially when you get to A2, but maths is a nice subject in that you can't really go wrong if you have a decent teacher and you put in the effort to do the work. Out of all subjects, I think maths is arguably the most repetitive - hence why I said you shouldn't really go wrong. Once you've got your head round new topics and ideas, at least 70% of your time doing excercises would involve using the same methods from the textbook or lesson over and over again.
Reply 8
I got A at GCSE, and now I'm getting U's. Don't even think about taking it unless you have a passion for the subject.

It's basically the hardest parts of GCSE in much, much more detail, and some few new concepts. If you still want to take it I would recommend S1 as your applied module. It's the easiest to grasp, and based more on logic than mathematical formulae.
if you're good at maths you will find it extremely easy, and have to literally do no work
if you're not good at maths you will find it extremely hard, and will have to literally do loads of work

are you good at maths?
Reply 10
If you keep up with the work then it's fine; I missed a few lessons on trig, basically the intro lessons and tutorials, now I am weak in this area.
Reply 11
Like ziedj said:
"" if you're good at maths you will find it extremely easy, and have to literally do no work
if you're not good at maths you will find it extremely hard, and will have to literally do loads of work

are you good at maths? ""

So if you enjoy math and find it easy/logical then no it won't be hard.
Reply 12
As said before, if your just good at maths you wont have to work at all really. Like I personally dont think its a huge jump from GCSE, it felt like a natural transition,or I just didnt notice... Thats just me tho.
Does it include stereometry?
Reply 14
Original post by MostCompetitive
This is my first year and I'll finish A-level maths by june (doing A-level f.maths and additional f.maths) Some say that it is hard but I don't think it is that hard. I got an A* (200/200) at GCSE. I don't spend much time revising maths tbh. Quite a few people in my class will tell you that it is hard, including one of my friends who got an A at GCSE.

wow at Add f.maths.

Don't universities disregard it and do not count it in the offers? I read this happens even if the person applied for a maths degree, I think unis want an all-rounder as well as just maths + f.maths for degree in mathematics

Sorry for going off topic OP :smile:

to answer your question, No. maths a level is very easy provided you understand. I know some people who are dying and others who barely revise and get above 90% in a test.
some of these people are saying it's easy but there are some people who find it really hard. I am one of them. My teacher tells us all to work really hard at it all the time, but it is actually really hard! I missed an A* at GCSE by a few marks, but believe me, A level maths and GCSE maths are worlds apart! They are so different, I don't really think that GCSE grades can really indicate the kind of grade you would get at A level.
Reply 16
Original post by ilyking
wow at Add f.maths.

Don't universities disregard it and do not count it in the offers? I read this happens even if the person applied for a maths degree, I think unis want an all-rounder as well as just maths + f.maths for degree in mathematics

Sorry for going off topic OP :smile:

to answer your question, No. maths a level is very easy provided you understand. I know some people who are dying and others who barely revise and get above 90% in a test.

No no, not at all. Infact many Universities require you to have further maths if you're studying Maths at uni, even some for engineering and other similar courses you must to have further maths.

Also I don't think there is much truth in the "all roundness" either. A friend of mine takes maths & further maths, as well as english, and he has 4/4 offers for law (so far), and many people in my school take just physics & double maths, and all of them have offers for maths :smile: Of course it depends on the university, and the course too, but further maths is generally quite a respected A level, I'm sure quite a few universities would prefer it over some of the "less respected" A levels, even if it's not directly related to your course at all :smile:

I agree with what you said though about A level maths, like many have mentioned, some can breeze through it fairly easily, while some are struggling to keep on top of it. But if you found GCSE pretty easy, you shouldn't have a problem :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Andy Ftw
No no, not at all. Infact many Universities require you to have further maths if you're studying Maths at uni, even some for engineering and other similar courses you must to have further maths.

Also I don't think there is much truth in the "all roundness" either. A friend of mine takes maths & further maths, as well as english, and he has 4/4 offers for law (so far), and many people in my school take just physics & double maths, and all of them have offers for maths :smile: Of course it depends on the university, and the course too, but further maths is generally quite a respected A level, I'm sure quite a few universities would prefer it over some of the "less respected" A levels, even if it's not directly related to your course at all :smile:

I agree with what you said though about A level maths, like many have mentioned, some can breeze through it fairly easily, while some are struggling to keep on top of it. But if you found GCSE pretty easy, you shouldn't have a problem :smile:

yes I know Further maths is great, but Im talking about Additional Further Maths :smile:

Additional f.maths is basically 18 modules
Reply 18
Original post by ilyking
yes I know Further maths is great, but Im talking about Additional Further Maths :smile:

Additional f.maths is basically 18 modules

*facepalm* My mistake >_>
Original post by ilyking
wow at Add f.maths.

Not true. The more maths, the better it is if you're applying for maths. They don't seem to be interested in all rounders either (I'm most certainly not one, although I don't count the ability to do other A-Levels well to be indicative of an all-rounder, IMO)... Not too sure where you're getting this misinformation from? A lot of tutors in senior positions at their respective Universities have come out and said that they are only interested in your mathematical ability and nothing else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending