The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Prose Before Hoes
Oh f***.

I thought, y'know, coming home from a ten hour shift, after slipping into my Pj's and munching on my dinner with a Rolo yoghurt as a dessert, that I could then log into TSR and see that my favourite choice for accom could be backed up by everyone on the accom thread.

My night is ruined.

Now I am even more confused and unsure than I was before....

...maybe I need another Rolo yoghurt...yeah.

it did the trick for me overall
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by ohhelloruth
yeah thats the only thing puutting me off about HP. the bathroom,. the rest of it was great, like 9 people in a flat etccc.
i think im inclined to go for James Baillie, but im scared im gonna get shoved in bodington if i dondt get it! arghh decisions.

Yeah, i loved it, its like an en suite but just with one more person which will more than likely feel like an en suite as the other person wont ALWAYS be in the bathroom, i think it gives you a chance to become really close to the person your sharing with as you will have to talk to them to figure out some sort of cleaning rota ect. The fact that you share with 9 other people is a bonus and its close to the city center so i think more people will be inclined to go out since its not to far away which means it wont be expensive! :smile:

I didn't like James Baillie it was my favorite but then i found out it didn't have WiFi and i wasn't to keen on the common room haha :smile:
Original post by PhilosophyIsMyGame
Haha, i think its because i didn't actually have that in mind and i just went there cause i had time to waste and it really surprised me, i loved it and i know people said they would want to be off campus but i just keep thinking of when its raining and snowing and buses are delayed i would rather be near to everything just in case and i think it'll be really sociable since there's 3 other sites around us!

Yeah you can walk through the shower into the other persons bedroom but if you opened the door you cant see the other person unless you open the shower screen door and pop your head round and if you hear the shower you wont open the shower sliding door haha and I'm sure if you pick to share with boys and girls they will put you to share with a girl, plus you have a lock on your door so no one can actually get in your room when your out! :smile:

haha, thats good to kno, thanks for putting my mind at rest :tongue:
Original post by dmz
it did the trick for me overall

I've read through most of the reviews on here and most are concerned about CD's distance. Was it that bad? I'm a walker, I don't mind walking a good 15-20 mins to get to local shops and stuff...but how was the area? Quiet? Lively? Sociable?

I noticed you said something about the rooms as well? Cool structures? But the halls were narrow?

Just genuinely interested :biggrin:
Original post by ohhelloruth
i visited my friend at James Baillie and she was going on about how amazing it was and how good location near headingly etc etcc. and what i saw of it was great! the kitchen is decent, her room was hugeee, but i think some can be smaller. parking if you want to bring a car.. it seemed perfect!

it doesn't sound too bad at all, tho now I think I've narrowed it down to leodis or henry price :biggrin:
I made a decision and went for the tannery. It's very close to the dental school (i'm doing dentistry) and city centre i.e clubs etc etc
Reply 586
I've read through most of the reviews on here and most are concerned about CD's distance. Was it that bad? I'm a walker, I don't mind walking a good 15-20 mins to get to local shops and stuff...but how was the area? Quiet? Lively? Sociable?

I noticed you said something about the rooms as well? Cool structures? But the halls were narrow?

I'ma throw in my opinion :P

Halls narrow but not an issue IMO. The rooms are sweet.
I'd say it was sociable, what with the bar too, and I think it'll be lively because it's all undergrads and they have all the socials for different occasions.

15 mins walk will get you to Leeds city centre and then like 10 more mins to the uni itself - but there's a Tesco round the corner anyway.

Overall it's great, especially for the price. Only issue is the distance but if you're not bothered by it it's not much of an issue, eh? :P
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
:crossedf:

I wish. No, really, I do. I'm going to sound like im so academic if this carries on. :rofl2: I don't think it's like that although I can see why that impression's given off. Apparently it attracts 'rahs' - well, you do find rahs there but you'll find them in plenty of places. I'm sure you get normal people too. :tongue: A few of the students I met were at DH and they liked it - two of them were rugby fanatics, both of which mentioned partying and walking into lectures with a hangover aplenty. :tongue:

I know you don't really like DH but I tried? Right? Maybe? :puppyeyes:

One of my best mates goes to Oxford. Apparently its pretty much how you might expect. Like, they get told off for making too much noise in the uni bar after 12 n getting too drunk n stuff......

With regards to Leodis, I hear that the social scene there isn't that great, not such a good community feel?? To be fair I'm not too worried about the common room at JB, as in all the halls in all the uni's I've ever visited (there's been a few) the common room very rarely seems to get used that much anyways......
Reply 588
I'm back, I went to see Clarence Dock, Dev, James Ballie Park and Oxley. I didn't really like Clarence Dock, maybe I shouldn't have put my hopes up so high. I preferred Oxley out of the 4 places I went to visit. I couldn't see Henry Prince or North Hill because I ran out of time and from this thread, I hear they're great places to live.

So for those who viewed Oxley, North Hill and Henry Prince - Which out of the three did you prefer? Any pros/cons?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 589

The way we went on the bus it felt like a quiet area, but you go in the date and it sorts of feel/become a community, the rooms were bigger than most of the ones I went to (not bigga than dev) the kitchen was decent. I didn't see it, but tesco was seconds down the road, and the armoury which I think is a little shopping centre (could be wrong) restaurant in front of it. it was 20 mins walk into town max, 15-20 min bus to uni every 20 mind till 11.

Just like the shape cos it wasn't just straight like in james bailie, which made it easier to personalise. The halls were narrow but that's irrelevant, kitchen was spacious and bat was better than the one in the picture, especially upstairs. I think it had the best social feel on site.

It wasn't as modern as I expected which was a bummer for me but my unbiased friends went with CD then Leodis
Reply 590
Original post by T-Toe
I'm back, I went to see Clarence Dock, Dev, James Ballie Park and Oxley. I didn't really like Clarence Dock, maybe I shouldn't have put my hopes up so high. I preferred Oxley out of the 4 places I went to visit. I couldn't see Henry Prince or North Hill because I ran out of time and from this thread, I hear they're great places to live.

So for those who viewed Oxley, North Hill and Henry Prince - Which out of the three did you prefer? Any pros/cons?

I didn't get to see oxley, but tyre high hope kinda ruins it got you. still my first choice anyway, how was the journey?
Reply 591
Original post by dmz
I didn't get to see oxley, but tyre high hope kinda ruins it got you. still my first choice anyway, how was the journey?

Not bad actually, the time went by quite fast.
Reply 592
Original post by T-Toe
Not bad actually, the time went by quite fast.

sorry about the random words, using swype, so what's your first choice then? Feels like i have to settle with CD but i did put my hopes up high
Reply 593
Original post by dmz
sorry about the random words, using swype, so what's your first choice then? Feels like i have to settle with CD but i did put my hopes up high

That's alright haha. I have no idea but it's between Oxley, North Hill and Henry Price.

I might have seen you yesterday :eyeball:
Reply 594
Original post by T-Toe
That's alright haha. I have no idea but it's between Oxley, North Hill and Henry Price.

I might have seen you yesterday :eyeball:

Ha i missed out north hill and i didn't bother with Henry cos it was on campus

really? What was i wearing? Who was i with?

E : i had two girls sort of staring at me like they knew me :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 595
Original post by dmz
Ha i missed out north hill and i didn't bother with Henry cos it was on campus

really? What was i wearing? Who was i with?

That sucks...I wish we were all given a chance too see them all

I'm not saying I did, just that I might have bumped into you :tongue:

haha, I think I was one of a handful of black people that showed up to the open day.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 596
Original post by T-Toe
That sucks...I wish we were all given a chance too see them all

I'm not saying I did, just that I might have bumped into you :tongue:

haha, I think I was one of a handful of black people that showed up to the open day.

lol were you getting off the CD bus while i was getting on? I saw the thread starter too. If i was with 2 other friends then it's probably me
Reply 597
Original post by dmz
lol were you getting off the CD bus while i was getting on? I saw the thread starter too. If i was with 2 other friends then it's probably me

:dontknow:

I don't know how you look like :tongue: I'm just saying that there might have a chance we couldn't seen bumped into each other without realising it.

Oh are your friends going to Leeds too? I think I did stand out a little bit. My hair is quite striking, the the top half of my hair is black and the bottom half is gold

I went alone, however I did manage to talk to a few people during the open day/journey to Leeds.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 598
Original post by T-Toe
:dontknow:

I don't know how you look like :tongue: I'm just saying that there might have a chance we couldn't seen bumped into each other without realising it.

Oh are your friends going to Leeds too? I think I did stand out a little bit. My hair is quite striking, the the top half of my hair is black and the bottom half is gold

I went alone, however I did manage to talk to a few people during the open day/journey to Leeds.

think I'd remember a black girl with golden hair :tongue: only saw ope and i don't remember being drawn to her hair. Well that's....:colonhash:
you'd have noticed if you bumped into me, lol cos i didn't see any other black guys in a group of 3 :tongue:
Nah one's in first yr uni, other's in first yr college. All roughly same age, :lol:

Oh right cool. Well a girl in Clarence dock bar got a £1 out of me. I got a chocolate cake tho so it was alright and 8/10 of the girls there were pretty decent lookin :tongue:
Reply 599
Original post by dmz
think I'd remember a black girl with golden hair :tongue: only saw ope and i don't remember being drawn to her hair. Well that's....:colonhash:
you'd have noticed if you bumped into me, lol cos i didn't see any other black guys in a group of 3 :tongue:
Nah one's in first yr uni, other's in first yr college. All roughly same age, :lol:

Oh right cool. Well a girl in Clarence dock bar got a £1 out of me. I got a chocolate cake tho so it was alright and 8/10 of the girls there were pretty decent lookin :tongue:

I see you're becoming a certified pimp :cool:

Latest