Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread (Mk1)

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 526540828)
    noooo.....offer is 40 in tital. for chemical engineering. Admission said they will reply this week, but I have not heard of them yet, Should I phone. It might be too late to call tomorrow.
    You can call but I think they might just ask you to call back tomorrow. Why would tomorrow be too late?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have two general questions.

1. I've read that Cambridge look at a UMS average across the three most relevant subjects. Do further maths and maths modules taken at AS count as one or two subjects?

2. I take a fifth "blacklisted" a-level. How much will it matter if i screw it up, if I have four other relevant subjects?

Computer science applicant, by the way.

EDIT: Sorry, should have read back through the thread because my first question has already been asked (they count as one right?).
    Still can't find an answer for the second one though .
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallMeASafeBet)
    2. I take a fifth "blacklisted" a-level. How much will it matter if i screw it up, if I have four other relevant subjects?
    No effect. Rule of thumb is to think of the "blacklisted" A-levels as voids. If you have two A-levels + one "blacklisted" A-level then this would be seen as just two A-levels, evidently rather bad as everyone else has at least three. If you have four relevant A-levels then the fifth (least relevant) one isn't going to be important anyway.

And :five: from a CompSci Feel free to ask anything about the course.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    No effect. Rule of thumb is to think of the "blacklisted" A-levels as voids. If you have two A-levels + one "blacklisted" A-level then this would be seen as just two A-levels, evidently rather bad as everyone else has at least three. If you have four relevant A-levels then the fifth (least relevant) one isn't going to be important anyway.

And :five: from a CompSci Feel free to ask anything about the course.
    Ah thanks, that's reassuring .
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Just looking to see whether it would be worth applying to Cambridge:

I got 6.5A*'s and 3 A's. This was much higher than the average at my school, in fact i got the most A*'s and A's out of all students there. I also got a B in the FSMQ

AS levels: all A's

Maths: 284/200 s1:94/100, c1, 95/100 , c2, 95/100

History: 182/200 A; 82/100, B: 100/100

Economics: 185/200 A;85/100, B: 100/100

I'm worried the 82/100 will hold me back?

Thanks!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHaylio)
    Hi everyone!

Just looking to see whether it would be worth applying to Cambridge:

I got 6.5A*'s and 3 A's. This was much higher than the average at my school, in fact i got the most A*'s and A's out of all students there. I also got a B in the FSMQ

AS levels: all A's

Maths: 284/200 s1:94/100, c1, 95/100 , c2, 95/100

History: 182/200 A; 82/100, B: 100/100

Economics: 185/200 A;85/100, B: 100/100

I'm worried the 82/100 will hold me back?

Thanks!
    Go for it, the 82 shouldn't be a problem, you've got a good set of grades there
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you get the 3 grades required for entry/exceed the requirements, but have extra A levels that aren't as good or are unrelated to the course, will I still have a chance?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ok so just got back my AS results- AAAA and honestly im over the moon, never expected anything like that considering i was predicted straight B's.

Cambridge was never really an option for me due to my gcse's A*AAAABBBBB and i realise that most candidates will be applying with straight A*s.

So, how lenient are they on GCSE's? you hear all the stories about how they're not as strict as oxford, but is there really any truth in that?

thanks
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    All you can do is apply. If you've shown improvement from GCSEs to AS levels that's a good sign and will reflect well on you, so it's a good start. Then there are all the other parts of the application - your personal statement, reference, supplementary application questionnaire - which will go together and be considered as a whole. So they may decide that these are more important than your GCSEs, or they may not - but you won't know until you apply, and as long as you choose 4 other sensible choices I'd say you might as well have a go You'll need to make sure at least 1 of your AS levels has marks high enough that it can be turned into an A* next year.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So do they look at the required 3 A levels, or all 4/5? Anyone?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Need some reassesment on my situation! Applying for Maths possibly, and need some opinions.

GCSEs: 5A*s 4As
    AS: Maths 300/300, Further Maths 295/300, Physics 289/300, Econ 189/200
    Predicted 4A*s.

With a half decent personal statement and a good reference, where do I stand? My greatest worry is my GCSEs, as well as the interview I guess.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    95% of these questions are answered by the Cambridge website here:-
    http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad.../thefacts.html
    'UMS performance
    We ask applicants to tell us the details of their uniform mark scheme (UMS) performance in every AS/A2 Level unit taken to date on our Supplementary Application Questionnaire. Our research shows that performance at AS/A Level as measured by average UMS percentages is a much better predictor of degree potential than GCSE results.

Our main measure of UMS performance is the average across three subjects: for Arts and Social Science applicants across the three best subjects (excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking); for Science applicants across the three most relevant subjects.

In the last admissions round the average Cambridge applicant scored about 90% on this measure, while the average successful Cambridge applicant scored nearer 95%. Note that both these figures are averages. There were successful Cambridge applicants who had UMS averages in their best/most relevant three subjects below 90%.'

So now you have your AS results, selection of the relevant 3 subjects and a quick bit of maths to calculate the relevant average should indicate where you sit in relation to average applicants and average successful applicants.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK, I got my AS Results back today:

Maths/Further Maths (Edexcel):
    C1 - 99/100
    C2 - 100/100
    FP1 - 100/100
    S1 - 95/100
    D1 - 96/100
    D2 - 94/100

Physics (OCR B):
    G491 - 79/90
    G492 - 150/150
    G493 - 58/60

Applied Business (Edexcel):
    Unit 1 - 59/100
    Unit 2 - 96/100
    Unit 3 - 100/100

As a Maths applicant, this gives me a UMS percentage of over 95% across the three most relevant subjects. However, would the D in Unit 1 of Applied Business be liable to hinder my application in any way? I'm not sure whether to go for a remark, even though the Applied Business AS is still an A thanks to the 2 units of coursework.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I'm applying for chemical engineering via natural sciences and I'm doing Maths f.Maths physics and chemistry. Which are the three most relevant subjects?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    They'll count all the Maths as one, so you really only have three subjects. :yes:
    Thank god for that. I got 85% in the final two modules of chemistry and physics. Will that have a big impact? I averaged 95% overall. Stress levels at maximum.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    95% overall? That puts you in a great position. :yes:
    Across the four subjects.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I have 9 A*s at GCSE and I got my AS results today:

Maths+Further Maths: (overall 99%)
    C1- 100/100
    C2- 98/100
    C3- 100/100
    C4-98/100
    M1-99/100
    S1-98/100

Chemistry: (overall 99%)
    CH1- 120/120
    CH2- 120/120
    CH3- 56/60

Biology: (overall 97%)
    Bio Unit 1: 94/100
    Bio Unit 2: 138/140
    Bio Unit 3: 60/60

Critical Thinking (Just one module, other one I do next year to get my AS qualification):
    73/100

As you can see, the critical thinking is a low point and I'm a little bit worried about it, but I can still get an A overall next year. Will my other %s cover up for the critical thinking?

Edit: Im thinking of applying for Medicine
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm not sure whether it's worth applying to Cambridge as I know there's a lot of emphasis on your UMS marks at AS, and I don't have 90% in all my units—could someone tell me if my grades are good enough? I'm probably going for Geography, or alternatively Human, Social and Political Sciences.

IGCSE: 9A* (Maths, Biology, Chemistry, History, Geography, Spanish, Modern Greek, English Language, English Literature)

AS:
    Maths — A (90%)
    C1: 100/100
    C2: 88/100
    S1: 81/100

English Literature — A (88%)
    Unit 1: 96/120
    Unit 2: 80/80

History — A (91%)
    Unit 1: 96/100
    Unit 2: 86/100

Geography — A (96%)
    Unit 1: 140/140
    Unit 2: 51/60

Modern Greek — A (96%)

Please quote me if you reply. Thank you!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elenii)
    Hi I'm not sure whether it's worth applying to Cambridge as I know there's a lot of emphasis on your UMS marks at AS, and I don't have 90% in all my units—could someone tell me if my grades are good enough? I'm probably going for Geography, or alternatively Human, Social and Political Sciences.

IGCSE: 9A* (Maths, Biology, Chemistry, History, Geography, Spanish, Modern Greek, English Language, English Literature)

AS:
    Maths — A (90%)
    C1: 100/100
    C2: 88/100
    S1: 81/100

English Literature — A (88%)
    Unit 1: 96/120
    Unit 2: 80/80

History — A (91%)
    Unit 2: 86/100

Geography — A (96%)
    Unit 1: 140/140
    Unit 2: 51/60

Modern Greek — A (96%)

Please quote me if you reply. Thank you!!
    Looks fine to me - they aren't expecting perfection but an overall picture of high ability, and they only average the three best for arts students, so 88% in English won't be too much of a barrier (and even then it's still a good A!) Your grades are excellent and if you want to apply, you should do so. Congratulations on the AS results!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDude)
    Hey guys,

I have 9 A*s at GCSE and I got my AS results today:

Maths+Further Maths: (overall 99%)
    C1- 100/100
    C2- 98/100
    C3- 100/100
    C4-98/100
    M1-99/100
    S1-98/100

Chemistry: (overall 99%)
    CH1- 120/120
    CH2- 120/120
    CH3- 56/60

Biology: (overall 97%)
    Bio Unit 1: 94/100
    Bio Unit 2: 138/140
    Bio Unit 3: 60/60

Critical Thinking (Just one module, other one I do next year to get my AS qualification):
    73/100

As you can see, the critical thinking is a low point and I'm a little bit worried about it, but I can still get an A overall next year. Will my other %s cover up for the critical thinking?

Edit: Im thinking of applying for Medicine
    Critical Thinking will almost certainly be ignored completely as they don't really consider it as a good predictor of degree performance - you've done really well and you should be able to make a strong application.
Updated: August 16, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.