The Student Room Group

How long after your first sign on day, do you get paid Job seekers allowance....?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
From the the start of a new application it can take any where from 3-4 weeks, maybe longer if you are unlucky. Once you are signing on you usually get paid a few days after your fortnightly sign on.
Out of interest, do you have to wait a certain period after losing work before you sign on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Out of interest, do you have to wait a certain period after losing work before you sign on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends if made redundant then no but if you quit then you would be sanctioned 3 to 6 months from my understanding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
I got it after a week but I still haven't received any housing benefits. It's been nearly a month now :frown:
Reply 24
it all depends on if you get ur payment in arrears or on time if u get it in arrears then u wont get paid for the first 2 weeks and when u sign off the payment for the first 2 weeks get paid after !! so it all depends
Reply 25
When a person resigns from the position of their job, they can still apply for JobSeekers Allowance, however there is an immediate mark of doubt on the claim and the person must then complete a statement of why they resigned from the position they were in, this is then sent to a decision maker who will weigh up whether the person had good reason to resign from their position. If they accept the reason given by the claimant then JobSeekers Allowance will be paid out as normal, if they reason is deemed unreasonable then JobSeekers Allowance will be declined and for a period discussed with the claimant.
Reply 26
Hi I Signed On Thursday 16th January And Still Have Not Recieved Money Can Someone Tell Me Why And I Have To Sign On This Thursday But I Have No Money To Get There So What Should I Do
Original post by Barrie007
Hi I Signed On Thursday 16th January And Still Have Not Recieved Money Can Someone Tell Me Why And I Have To Sign On This Thursday But I Have No Money To Get There So What Should I Do

This is the sort of disgusting thing the benefits office engages in to get people off the books - from there it's die or turn to crime. Can you make it there walking? Thumb a lift? Pawn an item for the day?
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the usual policy is as follows:
- If you quit your job, you're practically a criminal
- If you got sacked, you're practically a criminal

So I believe these days you are expected to wait a few months. Emergency payments of about £25 a week are available as you get deep into debt with your landlord and Wonga.
You can be entitled for a number of reasons including estranged from parents, which was how i got mine before 18, but it is not full JSA it is Hardship Allowance which is JSA for the under 18's
Reply 30
Hello my names kelvin I signed on last week um Thursday and was wondering when am I going to get paid
The job centre will tell you that it's not their department it's best to call the benefits line and save yourself a journey
Reply 32
I look forward to the day you're out of work.. it ain't a nice place to be, on benefits. I can't stand it, and it's only been a week...
Reply 33
Im a dad of 2. My youngest son is now 5 so income has stopped, i had been advice that i would not need to do any paperwork as jsa automatically applys. I have been to job center twice now with still no money even though they accepted my claim. It has been 4 weeks now. Living of bare min. It is sick that I've waited this long with 2 kids to support. Me think it's discrimination. As i am male and trust me from experience it's. A lot harder for you to claim with no advice and a lot of maladministration. If i were a woman, every door and advice is open to them??
When I worked at the local MPs office I dealt with people who were complaining that they hadn't received a penny in 6 months. At that time it was particularly chaotic though.
That's not true. I'm a woman, my advisor is useless and money not come through yet! I have 6 years experience from a previous role, another year from a job I took alongside it and still not enough experience for a new job!
Original post by gb85
I look forward to the day you're out of work.. it ain't a nice place to be, on benefits. I can't stand it, and it's only been a week...

People don't understand. I didn't understand until I experienced the humiliation first hand.

Just remember they are not there to help you. You are merely an opportunity for them to hit their sanction targets. Get in and out of the place as quickly as you can and try and rise above it.
Reply 37
some people are trying to get a job...it's not that easy right now. I have a degree but I can't get a job. I have NO money, trust me I'd rather have a job. No need to be a dickhead
i made my claim on Wednesday 6th of August and my sign on day was Thursdays due to my NI so i signed on for the first time on the 7th of August and now I've signed on the 21st of August for the second time yet i haven't had any payment i was wondering if you knew why so i haven't had my first two payment of £114.70p does this mean i will get all this back in one payment?????
Reply 39
I think that the Sign-On is the kick start of the process. However it takes 5 days to process, i.e. Mondays.
We sign-on on Wednesdays, but we'll wait until monday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending