The Student Room Group

If you could go back to sixth form; would you do IB or A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ohdeer
That doesn't mean 1 in 13 A level students got 4 A*s though, and that's probably more similar to 45 points than 1 good A level

This is true, but if UCAS points are anything to go by, it would be more like 5-6A*s at A level.
Original post by Madrigal
True and if it matters, I suppose the scholastic year could be better adapted to university applications, in that, one could apply to university upon reception of final secondary school grades (be it IB or A-Levels) and still go to university in that same year, where if the person did not repeat or skip any grades, they would be eighteen years of age, in that year. Just a thought.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I agree with you to a certain extent. It does however, raise some quite significant logistical issues for universities. If they waited for students' exam results, they would have to process tens of thousands of applications in a few months. This would be incredibly difficult, especially for those conducting interviews etc. Having said this, I do think it would be worth further investigation. The current system of relying on teachers', often inflated predictions, is not at all fair.
A levels. For the effort I put into IB (not that much, but enough) I could have got 24 As or something.
Reply 23
Original post by Chucklefiend
I'm afraid you'll have to stick to jelqing for that. It is however, beneficial interlectually. In my opinion, the IB is much more rigorous and produces more rounded students. Further, 1 in 13 A levels is awarded an A* just 1 in over 500 IBs are awarded a score of 45 (in fact, less than 50 were awarded worldwide) It is therefore much easier to stand out to universities by taking the IB, if that is, you're intelligent and hard working enough to achieve such a feat.

You sure that is correct?? 12 people achieved 45 at my school. Interestingly enough, 11 girls and 1 boy; and the boy only after a remark!
Reply 24
I'll probably get negged by all the IB haters, but here goes:

Surprising as it is, I'd do IB again. Yes, it's **** loads of work and universities don't recognise it, but I've learnt a helluva lot over the last two years and I wouldn't go back on that.

Also, the EE wasn't that hard really, took some effort but was very satisfying in the end. And it made me better at the subject (philosophy).

So yeah, IB ftw.
Hey guys!
Im finishing year 11 this June

I was so focused on doing the A levels but I am now considering the Diploma Program
I know it is a lot of hard work and might make you go mad (kidding)
My sister did it and I saw the way she struggled, and she warns me not to make the mistake again. However, I feel IB would be better as it has a variety of options..
I know I have a few more months to make the decision but would really appreciate the opinion of those people who did IB or A levels, If you could do it again, would you and why?

thanks for the help guys! :smile: much appreciated
Original post by Shmeiks
You sure that is correct?? 12 people achieved 45 at my school. Interestingly enough, 11 girls and 1 boy; and the boy only after a remark!

Dammmn! 45? My goodness, they must have worked so hard! That is a dream for me :biggrin:
Reply 27
Original post by WhisperOfLove
Hey guys!
Im finishing year 11 this June

I was so focused on doing the A levels but I am now considering the Diploma Program
I know it is a lot of hard work and might make you go mad (kidding)
My sister did it and I saw the way she struggled, and she warns me not to make the mistake again. However, I feel IB would be better as it has a variety of options..
I know I have a few more months to make the decision but would really appreciate the opinion of those people who did IB or A levels, If you could do it again, would you and why?

thanks for the help guys! :smile: much appreciated

Personally I don't think it's really worth it. Although it really depends on what you want to do, see I didn't know what I wanted to do at uni and I was sucked in by the whole 'it gives you more options' bull. I mean, you can only go on at uni with the subjects you did at higher, but people don't consider the standard subjects as important. So really, you're only doing 3 subjects you can progress with (just like doing 3 A-levels!). Also it's a real risk, it was the first time they ran it at my school and was a total disaster, the teachers overestimated the predicted grades massively and only like 3/19 of us got into our first/ second choice uni. Everyone else had to go through clearing. And it's not like these people didn't work hard or weren't intelligent.
Reply 28
IB purely for the reason that my friends who did IB think they are the s***. Even the one's who get 37/38. I would like to show them.
Reply 29
I would still do A levels. Just because everyone else does and I like being all british with my A levels hehe :smile:
Reply 30
Although it was painful I was lucky to get into a good uni with my comparatively poor IB grades.

I would, however, do IB again (different subjects though) because it gave me a brilliant, broad background, CAS and EE were mega helpful and amazing friends. I think it helped me be better prepared for uni.
Reply 31
I don't believe I claimed it did. What I said was achieving 45 in the IB allows a student to stand out more than a student achieving 3 A*s at A level. The issue you raise regarding predicted grades is applicable to A levels as much as it is the IB.

Most students will not have achieved 45 points (or taken any exams) by the time they apply for university. How will they stand out? Are admissions tutors meant to see into the future?
Original post by bzzz
Most students will not have achieved 45 points (or taken any exams) by the time they apply for university. How will they stand out? Are admissions tutors meant to see into the future?

Unless you have some kind of evidence to suggest that IB predictions are less reliable/more susceptable to grade inflation than A level predictions, I really can't see your point. University tutors must rely upon predicted grades, whether assessing A level or IB applicants, this is just the nature of the UK admissions process. The fact that an IB score of 45 is more elusive than 3 A*s at A Level(based on the number of students achieving this) remains, predicted or not.
Reply 33
Unless you have some kind of evidence to suggest that IB predictions are less reliable/more susceptable to grade inflation than A level predictions, I really can't see your point. University tutors must rely upon predicted grades, whether assessing A level or IB applicants, this is just the nature of the UK admissions process. The fact that an IB score of 45 is more elusive than 3 A*s at A Level(based on the number of students achieving this) remains, predicted or not.

I don't, but from

It is therefore much easier to stand out to universities by taking the IB, if that is, you're intelligent and hard working enough to achieve such a feat.

and

It may be easier to achieve offers for A level students, but a top score in the IB would be more likely to get you an offer in the first place.

you seem to be asserting that being predicted 45 points is the same as actually achieving 45 points, and that universities will see it this way.
Original post by bzzz
you seem to be asserting that being predicted 45 points is the same as actually achieving 45 points, and that universities will see it this way.

:confused: I'm not sure how you've come to this conclusion. To my knowledge I never made any reference to predicted/actual grades. I simply made the assumption that everybody would presume that I was talking about predicted grades, as the vast majority applying for university are in the same boat, in that they relying upon them. Regardless, my concern in this thread was the comparison between A levels and the IB, not the reliability of predicted grades.
I would certainly do A levels (though I would have picked Philosophy instead of Biology in the first year).

However, I think I would really have enjoyed the IB. I probably would have chosen:
HL: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Economics
SL: Further Maths, English

Even though it's highly likely anywhere I went would not have offered SL Further Maths, I probably would have raged at how full my timetable was (I have for each year of college, and subsequently missed many lectures because of it!) and decided it would be better to self teach the topics.
Reply 36
Opinions bitches, I want 'em.
Reply 37
Original post by WhisperOfLove
Dammmn! 45? My goodness, they must have worked so hard! That is a dream for me :biggrin:

Yeah, they weren't necessarily the most intelligent, but just had a very strict work ethic. Unfortunately for me - COD 7 was released before the end of exams lol. Surprisingly not all went to Oxbridge, one went to Edinburgh, another to UCL - the rest to Oxbridge. Good luck with that 45.
Reply 38
A levels.

Why would I want to study subjects I have no interest in whatsoever?
Original post by Shmeiks

Original post by Shmeiks
Yeah, they weren't necessarily the most intelligent, but just had a very strict work ethic. Unfortunately for me - COD 7 was released before the end of exams lol. Surprisingly not all went to Oxbridge, one went to Edinburgh, another to UCL - the rest to Oxbridge. Good luck with that 45.

ahahaha thank you!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending