The Student Room Group

A levels resits advice

Hey guys. I got the following results yesterday

Biology 135/150 A(+15)(fine with this)
Chemistry 72/90 A(1 ,mark in)
Physics 90/120 B(fine with this)
Maths 79/100 B(1 mark below an A)

I would like to become a vet when I'm older but it only just occured to me that my UCAS app needs to be in my october so january resists next year are probably not an option for me so if i chose to resit at this moment before I apply i have to do it in the summer.

I am more than happy with my results. Biology and physics are nothing to worry about. Chemistry and maths i find the easiest, and I enjoy them most. I was shocked to get an A in chemistry based on how it went but maths I am shocked about how I could possibly have dropped 21 marks?! I feel I can do so much better in my chemistry and maths and even perhaps going on to get an A* in chemistry at A2 i feel that confident.

In the summer I will have these exams:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Statistics
Physics
(And if chemistry and maths resit)

I don't know what to do because I can only afford to lose one mark in my next chemistry exam to retain an A (and i feel i can get an A* in A2 which i don't feel i could achieve if i stick with this score) and I am one below an A in maths and I want an A so i need to get 2 more marks in my next maths exam and that way i have basically scrapped an A for both of these subjects. I'm just worried I'm not going to get my AAAB for when I apply in october but on the other hand will I do worse in my summer exams because I have resits and again risk not getting As that way.

It would be different if it was 5 marks ether side but the fact it is 1 makes it so much more difficult. I wouldn't revise too much for the resits so I don't feel it will reflect my summer exams; what i feel would though is my stress levels. Also the module would be in my mind more than if i waited till next january. But that would mean I would have to have a gap year if I completely mess up my summer exams.

Hopefully you get what i mean and could give me some advice. thanks:smile:

Also i feel that you will give me the best advice as you have gone through A levels and you may have been in a similar situation to me. And obviously also we are aiming for the same thing:smile:
Reply 1
I don't know if this will help you at all but I got the following

Physics A 86/90 (+14)
Biology B 70/90 (-2 from A)
Chemistry A 74/90 (+2 from A)

I would prefer both Chem and Bio to be higher but when thinking about it (not sure if same for you) first mod that we've just done in each is only 30% whereas next mod is 50% of AS. So I have decided to not do retakes and instead focus on the next mod and get better in that rather than waste revision time on retakes.

I hope that actually makes sense (am half watching gavin and stacey while writing lol sorry)
Resit. It doesn't hurt you and its not hard to balance revising for the resit with your other exams if you start revision for the resit now. :smile:
Chemistry is more important than maths, but I'd resit both, the maths modules aren't hard to revise for.
Original post by Robpattinsonxxx
Hey guys. I got the following results yesterday

Biology 135/150 A(+15)(fine with this)
Chemistry 72/90 A(1 ,mark in)
Physics 90/120 B(fine with this)
Maths 79/100 B(1 mark below an A)

Ask for your exams and coursework to be remarked - with someone else marking your paper and perhaps viewing it in a different light you may find that 1 mark you need.

I would like to become a vet when I'm older but it only just occured to me that my UCAS app needs to be in my october so january resists next year are probably not an option for me so if i chose to resit at this moment before I apply i have to do it in the summer.

That is an option but you certainly don't have to apply this year, you could always leave it to next year and in the meantime strengthen your application (ie; resit, get some more work experience, etc).
I am curious about my maths mark . I do not no how I dropped 21 marks?! But if it means that i gain 1 mark by remarking its still only one mark in like chemistry and there is always a risk i won't retain the As in the summer. Its so difficult there are pros and cons ether way.
Reply 6
hey guys i need some advice too, i got my results on thursday which were:
Biology 83/90 (A)
Economics 82/100 (A)
Im pretty happy about bio but i want to do economics at university, im pretty sure i can get the A in the next module and hopefully the A* next year, but do you think that I should resit the economics to get a better ums since it was close to the boundary. Also do top unis mind if you resit in june?
Also I'm doing 5 as levels (maths, further maths, economics, chemistry, biology) this years and hoping to do only 3 alevels (maths, biology, economics) next year, is this a good choice?
Do vet uni's like resits?

How does the ucas thing work? Do you put down the grade for individual modules or your overall A level grade? Because Id have to put the B down for this exam even though it is one mark off an A. But I want to be putting the A grade down.

Do you think the maths remark is worth it? I have nothing particularly to lose as i'm one below an A. Again i don't know how i dropped 21 marks so perhaps its a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending