The Student Room Group

choosing when offers come in? st martins, goldsmiths, wimbledon, chelsea, camberwell?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Wimbledon is miles away and most of the students are from the area and so the 'vibe' isn't very studenty... also the halls look horrible and theres no nightlife.

Chelsea is known for being very pretentious. Although their fine art course is highly regarded I thought the graduate show was'nt very innovative. I have a few friends at Chelsea and one on the fine art course who hated it. She wasn't too keen on her tutors and I've seen the campus and although its very beautiful, the studio space was pretty small.

I used to go to Camberwell and the students are amazing. They're very down to earth and they like to have fun. If you want to go to an art school with art student who like to party, Camberwell is full of them. My friends are doing Drawing, Photography and Sculpture and they all seem to be loving it. On the other hand the art school isn't as prestigious or widely recognised as Goldsmiths, Chelsea or CSM.

I know a couple of people who are at Goldsmtihs and they love it. The studios are very nice (modern, airy, large, light) and the course is know for producing very innovative, independent students. The people I know who go there are amazing and a bit like people from Cambers- they like to party. So if you want to have a good social life Goldsmiths is a great place.

CSM also is very prestigious and the people i know who go there really enjoy the course. They seem to do a few team projects in the first year and have been known to do collaborations with organisations outside UAL. The course is highly regarded and is known as one of the best. Also you have the option of doing a sandwich 4 year course in a different country which would be amaazzzinnggg.

Also everyone at UAL knows they're not in the best financial state. Tutor times are being cut and its rumoured the move to Kings Cross is for financial benefits more than anything.

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by ThisCantBeChanged
hi you applied to same unis as me sort of, chelsea and camberwell except i applied for BA graphic design. I was wondering if you had any replys from them about interviews, digital portfolio etc. I sent of a portfolio to chelsea by post still waiting for a reply and still waiting for camberwell to even invite me to send a digital portfolio/have an interview

i just got rejected from chelsea after sending mini portfolio (oh well still doing well and it obviously wasn't right for me) and have a portfolio reveiw to do camberwell scuplture course on the 31st of march, didnt send in any mini portfolio as they dont request you to for the sculpture course...hope that helps abit...good luck x
Reply 22
Original post by Bambiee
Wimbledon is miles away and most of the students are from the area and so the 'vibe' isn't very studenty... also the halls look horrible and theres no nightlife.

Chelsea is known for being very pretentious. Although their fine art course is highly regarded I thought the graduate show was'nt very innovative. I have a few friends at Chelsea and one on the fine art course who hated it. She wasn't too keen on her tutors and I've seen the campus and although its very beautiful, the studio space was pretty small.

I used to go to Camberwell and the students are amazing. They're very down to earth and they like to have fun. If you want to go to an art school with art student who like to party, Camberwell is full of them. My friends are doing Drawing, Photography and Sculpture and they all seem to be loving it. On the other hand the art school isn't as prestigious or widely recognised as Goldsmiths, Chelsea or CSM.

I know a couple of people who are at Goldsmtihs and they love it. The studios are very nice (modern, airy, large, light) and the course is know for producing very innovative, independent students. The people I know who go there are amazing and a bit like people from Cambers- they like to party. So if you want to have a good social life Goldsmiths is a great place.

CSM also is very prestigious and the people i know who go there really enjoy the course. They seem to do a few team projects in the first year and have been known to do collaborations with organisations outside UAL. The course is highly regarded and is known as one of the best. Also you have the option of doing a sandwich 4 year course in a different country which would be amaazzzinnggg.

Also everyone at UAL knows they're not in the best financial state. Tutor times are being cut and its rumoured the move to Kings Cross is for financial benefits more than anything.

I hope this helps :smile:

it does alot thankyou, i got rejected from chelsea so now its just a choice between goldsmiths and Csm really i think. it may sound snooty but the prestige is abit important to me , and camberwell seem to have their expertise rooted more in drawing painting than sculpture plus tbh i want to be doing a fine art course rather than a sculpture course , im ruling out wimbledon because of this and its too far out i wanna be in london proper. do you think csm's new site could compete with goldsmiths? space and facilities wise?
Reply 23
Original post by Bambiee

)

Hi, when you talk about CSM are you referring to the fine art course? I had my interview yest and got an offer today (?!) but I just don't know whether I should do a fine art degree elsewhere, seeing as CSM is known really for their fashion.
Thanks
Reply 24
Reply 25
Original post by akw
Hi, when you talk about CSM are you referring to the fine art course? I had my interview yest and got an offer today (?!) but I just don't know whether I should do a fine art degree elsewhere, seeing as CSM is known really for their fashion.
Thanks

yes we are. and csm are not just fashion its one of the best fine art courses in the uk.... i mean csm chelsea slade and goldsmiths are imo the most highly regarded...
Reply 26
Original post by ThisCantBeChanged
hi you applied to same unis as me sort of, chelsea and camberwell except i applied for BA graphic design. I was wondering if you had any replys from them about interviews, digital portfolio etc. I sent of a portfolio to chelsea by post still waiting for a reply and still waiting for camberwell to even invite me to send a digital portfolio/have an interview

I'm still waiting too, think alot of people are in the same boat. I sent my flickr portfolio to camberwell at the start of feb and still haven't heard from them about an interveiw yet. A few people on here were talking about getting rejections from camberwell :/ so the i geuss the process must have started
Original post by luke$
I'm still waiting too, think alot of people are in the same boat. I sent my flickr portfolio to camberwell at the start of feb and still haven't heard from them about an interveiw yet. A few people on here were talking about getting rejections from camberwell :/ so the i geuss the process must have started

i got a reply from camberwell a few days ago asking me for a portfolio by flickr, there was a problem with my application apparently, but im so annoyed that this has delayed the process. still waiting for my last uni to reply, ravensbourne, taking so long :frown:
Go Goldsmiths...because that's where I be at! :P
Reply 29
Original post by Novis
Go Goldsmiths...because that's where I be at! :P

What made you decide to go there?
Original post by unbornvoices
What made you decide to go there?

I want to study History there and thier course really appealed to me, I also heard that it was a very vibrant place to be.
Reply 31
yes we are. and csm are not just fashion its one of the best fine art courses in the uk.... i mean csm chelsea slade and goldsmiths are imo the most highly regarded...

CSM is brilliant, but the fashion department do get 'special treatment'. I recommend goldsmiths.
Original post by Bambiee
Tutor times are being cut and its rumoured the move to Kings Cross is for financial benefits more than anything.

hey, how comes?
I'm curiuos
Reply 33
Original post by gotart
CSM is brilliant, but the fashion department do get 'special treatment'. I recommend goldsmiths.

is this from personal experiance?
Reply 34
which place have you decided on attending for next year?
Reply 35
Original post by Bambiee
which place have you decided on attending for next year?

CSM
Reply 36
CSM

same here :smile:
luckkyy go to goldsmiths
Reply 38
Hey i've got a conditional place at csm and camberwell. Although i had an interview at chelsea that i feel went well. I would pick csm over camberwell but if i got into chelsea wouldn't be sure between there and csm!

Any advice?
Reply 39
In the end they're all excellent universities for art, just go with the one that gives you a good feeling and you personally like. I'm going to Goldsmiths and I couldn't be happier! It was my first choice. Facilities are great, people seem really friendly, and it's the closest to me.

CSM is great, but I didn't like the atmosphere. I did the summer school there, and even the current BA students I worked with said they were riding upon their name. Though of course, since there's such competition, the standard of work will be excellent anyway.

Camberwell is great too, though the undergraduate building seems a bit nasty... and everyone dresses the same... seems to me that it's full of people who do art because they'll look cool doing it, although that's just an assumption and I may indeed be wrong. Never visited Wimbledon so I can't say anything about it, and I liked Chelsea but the people are rather pompous and, knowing myself, I would probably feel inadequate the whole time.

Quick Reply

Latest