The Student Room Group

Anyone else giving/given up an apprenticeship/good job to go to uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Maybe you could get some level 3 equivalent qualifications at night school alongside your job before moving to the uk to study at Uni?
Reply 61
Original post by tamimi
There's no reason why you can't go to uni, do a degree then go back and finish off your apprenticeship. If anything, it gives you twice the qualification of someone your age.

I got a friend of mine who did an apprenticeship level 3 in some sort of engineering. The business went bust and he had to work in a bakery for a year before he found a new employer to carry on with his apprenticeship so I'm inclined to think that apprenticeships are continuable.

Best of luck.

Hi,

I started this thread last year, I've now decided to finish my apprenticeship this year and go to uni September :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by mike101
Maybe you could get some level 3 equivalent qualifications at night school alongside your job before moving to the uk to study at Uni?

I could, but I really want to move to london asap
I'm giving up a £40k job to fulfil my ambition of becoming a doctor. Bit scary considering I have 5 kids and a ridiculously large mortgage to support! However, I actually won't be that much worse off cos I'll be working part time in my current job and be able to claim tax credits. I also get a decent student grant.
It took a lot of soul searching to make the decision to give up my relatively comfortable, secure job to head off to uni (again!) for the next four years. But as soon as I made the decision to leave, I felt relieved. Only 104 days til I leave work!
Original post by sarah1982
I'm not sure what I want to do to be honest... I just know I don't want to be in IT anymore. I've been struggling with the good salary vs. happiness dilemma for years now. :frown:

Should I just take A Level courses at a college?

Sounds like a tough decision, because that is a really good wage. Psychology is a REALLY competitive field, especially in the UK. If you've got your hearts set on becoming a Psychologist, you'd have to be at a top University (I'm assuming, since it's really competitive?) :frown: I'm sure for the Postgradute Docturate, you have to have had like 2 or 3 years experience working in Psychology (assistant, etc).

It's a tough decision! I'd never give up my job, I'm going to just study part-time, and keep my job as a safety net in case anything happens :biggrin:

Anyway, I wish you luck what ever you decide!
I could, but I really want to move to london asap

I think you do your pre uni qualifications whilst still working and then study your degree in the US, especially if you opt for psychology as there is a much greater demand for the profession over there.

As a tax payer I am interested to know how you plan to support yourself whilst doing the pre uni qualifications and also how you plan to fund the circa 50K sterling you will need to study the three year degree afterwards?
Original post by BigV
Open days are good for both getting a feel for the university and finding out more about the particular courses on offer. Open days usually include a lecture from a staff member and often you will get a chance to chat informally to current students.

Both Computer Science and Engineering courses often involve a significant amount of maths - they are mathematical sciences really... and Computer Science is usually more about software programming and theory than hardware.

It sounds to me like you are more interested in the hands on stuff (taking things apart and putting them back together?), and apprenticeship might be a good route to go down. Then again I'm sure there are plenty of Computing or even Networking/Communications type courses which would also suit you.

I also disagree with those who say you can't do a degree and then an apprenticeship or the other way around....... no reason why you can't imo.

Personally I think university is a bit over rated.... I worked incredibly hard to complete an Access course and get here but there is a definite sense of anti-climax. If I had the chance to do a proper apprenticeship (not a micky mouse thing were you go and work in morrisons and get trained in 'till management' or other such *******s) I would certainly take it over university.

Well, when I dropped out of University to do my Apprenticeship, one of the first things I was asked after stating that I dropped out was; "have you obtained any University Credits?". Luckily, I hadn't. They said if you did, then you aren't eligible for an Apprenticeship. :s-smilie: Which is why I said do the Apprenticeship, and then go to University. Might as-well get the working experience, and get your NVQ; It'll count towards for something, add it onto your application and CV. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Himynameskiefer
Sounds like a tough decision, because that is a really good wage. Psychology is a REALLY competitive field, especially in the UK. If you've got your hearts set on becoming a Psychologist, you'd have to be at a top University (I'm assuming, since it's really competitive?) :frown: I'm sure for the Postgradute Docturate, you have to have had like 2 or 3 years experience working in Psychology (assistant, etc).

It's a tough decision! I'd never give up my job, I'm going to just study part-time, and keep my job as a safety net in case anything happens :biggrin:

Anyway, I wish you luck what ever you decide!

Thanks. I haven't made up my mind yet about going the psychology route. Trying to sort myself out.
Reply 68
Original post by evening sunrise
I think you do your pre uni qualifications whilst still working and then study your degree in the US, especially if you opt for psychology as there is a much greater demand for the profession over there.

As a tax payer I am interested to know how you plan to support yourself whilst doing the pre uni qualifications and also how you plan to fund the circa 50K sterling you will need to study the three year degree afterwards?

Don't want to stay in the USA right now. I'm a dual national and have the option of living wherever I choose. I'm not set on psychology, I realize now I need to do my A Levels first to be prepared for uni.

I have some savings. I'll get a part time job if necessary, and I plan to take out a student loan and apply for financial aid when I'm eligible.

"As a tax payer", what exactly are you insinuating?
Reply 69
Original post by Himynameskiefer
Well, when I dropped out of University to do my Apprenticeship, one of the first things I was asked after stating that I dropped out was; "have you obtained any University Credits?". Luckily, I hadn't. They said if you did, then you aren't eligible for an Apprenticeship. :s-smilie: Which is why I said do the Apprenticeship, and then go to University. Might as-well get the working experience, and get your NVQ; It'll count towards for something, add it onto your application and CV. :smile:

A good company will still put you through an apprenticeship, but instead of some of it being government funded they would just stump up the all the cost themselves.
Original post by mike101
A good company will still put you through an apprenticeship, but instead of some of it being government funded they would just stump up the all the cost themselves.

Ah, I never knew! :colondollar:
Don't want to stay in the USA right now. I'm a dual national and have the option of living wherever I choose. I'm not set on psychology, I realize now I need to do my A Levels first to be prepared for uni.

I have some savings. I'll get a part time job if necessary, and I plan to take out a student loan and apply for financial aid when I'm eligible.

"As a tax payer", what exactly are you insinuating?

I think many of us parents would like to see you transfer your well paid career over here, rather than getting a bit of part-time work and as a result make some substantial fiscal contributions for a few years prior to availing yourself of our funding regime. There is a recession on you know. Many of our kids are being told they can get only minimal funding because of what their parents earn, a funding level at which they cannot actually exist at university, yet those same parents have been paying a lot of tax here rather than in the USA or whereever.
Reply 72
Original post by evening sunrise
I think many of us parents would like to see you transfer your well paid career over here, rather than getting a bit of part-time work and as a result make some substantial fiscal contributions for a few years prior to availing yourself of our funding regime. There is a recession on you know. Many of our kids are being told they can get only minimal funding because of what their parents earn, a funding level at which they cannot actually exist at university, yet those same parents have been paying a lot of tax here rather than in the USA or whereever.

It's no ones business but my own what I choose to do for work, or how I pay for school. It's not my responsibility to fix the economy either. I only owe it to myself to make me happy.

Oh, there's a recession? I had no idea. Maybe that's why I would have to take an 80% pay cut. :confused:
Reply 73
If your good with computers but dont like advanced maths then why dont you do a it degree that involves engineering . IT degrees dont have half the amount of maths that computer science degrees have. Also differnt universitys have differnt types degrees have a goodlook at differnt universtys computer science degree as not all unis computer science degrees contain a lot of advanced:smile: maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending