The Student Room Group

PGCE Psychology at Manchester Met Uni

Hi all

Background - I'm 27 years old, with an undergrad degree in Psychology. I spent a year teaching first year undergrads in my old uni immediately following graduation, and have spent a couple of months doing voluntary tutoring in English and Maths with KS3/4 kids in a deprived part of Leeds. I'm currently working for the local authority in a team which supports governing bodies in Leeds schools. I spend a lot of my time out at various schools clerking governing body meetings. I intend to arrange some observation days with post-16 Psychology classes in Leeds schools/colleges.

I know I want to teach Psychology at post-16 level/FE. I have been looking at courses offered in the UK and, mostly due to location, I thought MMU's Social Sciences with Citizenship PGCE would be the best one to do, as it allows you to train in teaching KS3/4 as well as post-16. However a bit more hunting allowed me to discover the Psychology PGCE. First of all, I wasn't even aware that a Psychology PGCE existed and wasn't aware that there would be much need for this. Is Psychology becoming increasingly more common in KS3/4? Do many other universities offer the Psychology PGCE?

Secondly I'm wondering what the key differences would be between the Psychology PGCE and Social Sciences with Citizenship. Both say they offer you the chance to train in PHSCE and Citizenship. The Social Sciences course offers you the chance to also follow your speciality (eg. Psych for me) and the Psychology course, obviously, allows you to train in Psych too. So not much difference as far as I can tell? Unless i've missed something...

Finally, I've noticed PGCE students from Manchester University talking on this forum about how they live in Leeds and have placements locally...and just travel into university when they have lectures etc. Is this true of most universities? It would be helpful if I knew I could live at home for the year and just commute into uni when I need to. Obviously I will contact the university and ask them too. Just wondered if anybody on here has insight?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Hi,

I'm currently working in a school as a cover teacher after graduating with a first-class Psychology Degree last summer, and have been accepted on to the Psychology PGCE course at Manchester Met starting in September.

In my experience, Psychology is becoming increasingly popular at KS5 and a few Secondary schools are starting to do it at GCSE level, which is hopefully going to become more widespread over the next few years. When I was searching for a University to study my PGCE, I found only 7 offer Psychology as a stand-alone subject, however more universities offer Social Science PGCEs.

When I was applying for my PGCE I asked the Head of Social Sciences at my school which would be better to do: the Psychology or Social Sciences PGCE? She advised me that there was hardy any difference and that both courses will allow you to teach Psychology and other Social Sciences once you qualify (e.g. Health and Social, PSHE, Citizenship). However, if you definately want to teach Psychology then I would suggest taking the Psychology PGCE and apply for the Social Sciences PGCE as a back-up; this is what I did.
I think (if anything) you may end up teaching all social sciences on the Social Sciences course and will have to learn the subject knowledge applicable to all Social Sciences (you will have seminars at uni which teach you how to apply your knowledge of the subjects at degree level to fit the KS4/5 curriculum). On the other hand, the Psychology course will be more biased towards Psychology.

Finally, I was told at my interview that I would be able to do my placements in South Yorkshire and travel in to uni one day a week to attend lectures etc. This really helped me as Manchester was the closest uni that offers a Psychology PGCE and being able to commute from home will save me some money now the bursary has been withdrawn.

Hope that helps and feel free to ask if you have any more questions :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by GoGo_Girl
Hi,

I'm currently working in a school as a cover teacher after graduating with a first-class Psychology Degree last summer, and have been accepted on to the Psychology PGCE course at Manchester Met starting in September.

In my experience, Psychology is becoming increasingly popular at KS5 and a few Secondary schools are starting to do it at GCSE level, which is hopefully going to become more widespread over the next few years. When I was searching for a University to study my PGCE, I found only 7 offer Psychology as a stand-alone subject, however more universities offer Social Science PGCEs.

When I was applying for my PGCE I asked the Head of Social Sciences at my school which would be better to do: the Psychology or Social Sciences PGCE? She advised me that there was hardy any difference and that both courses will allow you to teach Psychology and other Social Sciences once you qualify (e.g. Health and Social, PSHE, Citizenship). However, if you definately want to teach Psychology then I would suggest taking the Psychology PGCE and apply for the Social Sciences PGCE as a back-up; this is what I did.
I think (if anything) you may end up teaching all social sciences on the Social Sciences course and will have to learn the subject knowledge applicable to all Social Sciences (you will have seminars at uni which teach you how to apply your knowledge of the subjects at degree level to fit the KS4/5 curriculum). On the other hand, the Psychology course will be more biased towards Psychology.

Finally, I was told at my interview that I would be able to do my placements in South Yorkshire and travel in to uni one day a week to attend lectures etc. This really helped me as Manchester was the closest uni that offers a Psychology PGCE and being able to commute from home will save me some money now the bursary has been withdrawn.

Hope that helps and feel free to ask if you have any more questions :smile:

Hello! I'm also thinking of either doing a social science pgce or psychology. I'm currently studying a degree in psychology. I was wondering which pgce you ended up doing and whether you are now a teacher. If so, are you a secondary or sixth form teacher? Thank you
Reply 3
Hi, I am looking to teach Psychology and do the PGCE at MMU, but i wanted to know is finding a job difficult as Psychology is not taught in allot of school.
Original post by Zayamir2
Hi, I am looking to teach Psychology and do the PGCE at MMU, but i wanted to know is finding a job difficult as Psychology is not taught in allot of school.

Hello there :hello:,

If you decide to pursue a career as a Psychology teacher and qualify through the completion of PGCE Secondary Psychology with QTS, you will be able to apply to jobs for various humanities subjects such as Social Sciences, Psychology, PSCHE, Health and Social Care, History, Geography and Religious Education.

I hope this helps:h: . If you have any other PGCE-related question, just let us know! :biggrin:

Luca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending