The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think you probably need experience as a classroom teacher and then possibly study for a professional MA in the meantime. All headteachers I ever worked for (volunteered for) had at least one M.A.

Then there is this:
http://www.tes.co.uk/2028311

Becoming a headteacher

Published: 04 August 2004

What qualifications do I need?
Heads are now expected to be graduates. Secondary heads usually have an honours degree plus a PGCE, although a BEd is not unknown. A good honours degree is useful, because you gain an extra salary point before you've even started. Masters degrees sometimes impress selection panels.

The Government's National Professional Qualification is mandatory for all first-time head teachers in the maintained sector.

The NPQH takes between six months and two years to complete and emphasises "real-life leadership issues" in the teacher's own school.

The National College for School Leadership has details of the programme and application packs.

What management training will I need?
The demands for new heads to have professional management training are growing rapidly. New heads are now expected to take part in a leadership programme for serving heads run by the National College for School Leadership. You'll find a guide to the training programmes at the DfES site.

What is the usual career path?
Primary heads will be deputies first, or become head of a small school. Anyone who survives that will probably go on to a headship at a larger school.

For secondary heads, the usual route to the top job is to become a head of department or head of year, or to take on a strategic role, like head of pastoral care.

How long does it take?
The brightest and the best will gain their first headship in their mid-thirties; the Secondary Heads Association says 27 is the record for the youngest-ever secondary head. The average age for a first headship is somewhere around the mid-forties.

What qualities and experience are necessary?
Governors play a crucial role in selecting heads; they decide what experience is particularly relevant to their school. Hay management consultants have carried out extensive research into the qualities of outstanding heads, they say that characteristics like analytical thinking and the ability to understand others are important, but there is no "ideal" model.

The Secondary Heads' Association says leadership is the most crucial quality, closely followed by dynamism. A good head must be inspirational and gain the respect of colleagues by their energy, good academic standing and sheer force of personality.

What is the salary?
The head of a very small primary school will earn at least £36,000 a year, while heads of large secondary schools can earn over £90,000.
Reply 2
My dad is a headteacher so here is how he did it.........

1st job PE techer in a secondary school
2nd job Head of PE in same school
---school change---
3rd job Head of lower school
4th job Head of middle and upper school
---school change---
5th job Deputy head teacher
---school change---
6th job Headteacher
---school change---
7th job Headteacher in a bigger school so more cash.

With the following qualifications......
BEd (Hons), MSc, Dip.Man.Ed, NPQH

Latest

Trending

Trending