The Student Room Group

Durham or Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by River85

Don't know if it really is actually. Newcastle has a reputation for having a reasonable cost of living and, generally speaking, that's true. But in a number of surveys over the past couple of years it has been rated as one of the most expensive in the country in terms of housing costs. Some halls are ridiculously expensive, it's starting to rival Durham's colleges and Birmingham, and this has partly caused the rents in the private sector to inflate.

Newcastle is probably in the top ten to fifteen universities in terms of independent school intake with a significant number of affluent students from the state sector also. They have the money to spend and this can put up rents.

Which isn't to say good deals still can't be had, just need to be mindful of areas like Jesmond or the city centre. Maybe even Heaton these days. I don't know why I said even Heaton. Historically I think it was more affluent than Jesmond. Certainly as affluent.

I did come across one of the Yuppie apartments on the Quayside for about £120 a week though. That was surprising. Considered taking it myself and commute to Durham. Have proper city living...

Im not sure I agree.
I have lived in other cities and Newcastle is the cheapest I have found.
I lived in a very nice house in Heaton last year for £50 a week. I now live in a huge house in Jesmond on Osborne road and it costs me £65 a week including all bills. Im not sure where you living but £200-£260 a month is very cheap. All of my friends live in similarly priced houses too.
Student halls is more expensive at all unis, but you dont have to live in halls. I started my first year of uni living in a house full of students.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by River85
Don't know if it really is actually. Newcastle has a reputation for having a reasonable cost of living and, generally speaking, that's true. But in a number of surveys over the past couple of years it has been rated as one of the most expensive in the country in terms of housing costs. Some halls are ridiculously expensive, it's starting to rival Durham's colleges and Birmingham, and this has partly caused the rents in the private sector to inflate.

But the halls here are **** for the most part. The best ones are anyway, but the atmospheremakes up for it.

Newcastle is probably in the top ten to fifteen universities in terms of independent school intake with a significant number of affluent students from the state sector also. They have the money to spend and this can put up rents.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article7041470.ece

:smile:

Which isn't to say good deals still can't be had, just need to be mindful of areas like Jesmond or the city centre. Maybe even Heaton these days. I don't know why I said even Heaton. Historically I think it was more affluent than Jesmond. Certainly as affluent.

Definitely get a good deal in Heaton. Got some friends who are paying like £50-55 a week for a really nice house... living next door to a bunch of people who have had their doors smashed in by the police on numerous occasions (not to say all of Heaton is like that, plus Chilli road is pretty good).

Couldn't imagine myself being anywhere but Jesmond though :redface:
Reply 22
Original post by anon2010
Im not sure I agree.
I have lived in other cities and Newcastle is the cheapest I have found.
I lived in a very nice house in Heaton last year for £50 a week. I now live in a huge house in Jesmond on Osborne road and it costs me £65 a week including all bills. Im not sure where you living but £200-£260 a month is very cheap. All of my friends live in similarly priced houses too.
Student halls is more expensive at all unis, but you dont have to live in halls. I started my first year of uni living in a house full of students.

I'm not actually studying in Newcastle (I'm in Durham - £170 a month house :p: ) but I'm from a village about eight miles from Newcastle and have friends renting there. Know it well and how it's changed in recent years.

I'm not saying it's particularly expensive, not at all. I also made the point that good deals can still be found. So it's not surpising to find £50 rooms (the quayside apartment I mentioned was £120 but it was two bedroom - so very cheap). I'm just making the point that I really don't think rent in Newcastle is significantly cheaper than Sheffield. People hear "Newcastle" and they think dirty cheap rent. This isn't the case now. Not as much as it was.

When my brother was at Sheffield there was no shortage of £50 - £70 houses in fairly popular student areas. So unless things have changed drastically in the last four years then this is no different to Newcastle.

Yes there are no cheap university halls but some are more expensive than others. Last time I looked self-catered rooms in Durham's colleges were 1k more expensive than some of Cardiff's self catered rooms (and would consume all of my student loan and then some) and Newcastle does seem to be amongst the most expensive. Getting towards those prices. But as the OP is a medical student, and won't move to Newcastle until after two years (if he/she moves there at all) then I suppose this is irrelevant.

Elsewhere costs are reasonable. Compact city, meaning it's easy to get around on foot and public transport is not too expensive. Food prices have risen everywhere in recent years but it still remains cheaper than ever.

I'll try and find the surveys which do show that, whilst it remains a cost effective city, it does rank about fifth in the country in terms of housing (private and university). Mind, I'm not too sure what their sample sizes were.

In short, you can get by fairly well
Reply 23
Accomodation prices in futures years isn't a worry for me as it will be cheaper than halls no matter what.
Reply 24
Anymore for anymore?
Reply 25
I don't think there is anything much between them. Stockton is not a great location to be based in for 2 years but the teaching is supposed to be top notch and you'd have more variety in the course with the move to Tyne and Tees for clinical years. If you get fed up with Sheffield after a couple of years you'd just have to put up with it ;-)
Reply 26
Urgh still confused. Gotta think hard.
Reply 27
Just a fleeting thought that's relevant to this thread - why is Durham listed separately to Newcastle in medicine rankings?
Reply 28
Original post by Beska
Just a fleeting thought that's relevant to this thread - why is Durham listed separately to Newcastle in medicine rankings?

As far as I'm aware it still has some independence in research, it still appoints its own staff, its students still have entry standards.

The only thing it's lacking is student satisfaction and grad prospects, of course.

That it doesn't award its own medical degree is neither here nor there, as far as league tables are concerned, students still go there and study.

Perhaps I'm wrong.
Reply 29
Original post by River85
As far as I'm aware it still has some independence in research, it still appoints its own staff, its students still have entry standards.

The only thing it's lacking is student satisfaction and grad prospects, of course.

That it doesn't award its own medical degree is neither here nor there, as far as league tables are concerned, students still go there and study.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

Arguably it shouldn't show up in the 'medicine' section because it doesn't actually award a medical degree.

I don't really care. :p: Just being a massive pedant for pedants sake.
Reply 30
Original post by Beska
Arguably it shouldn't show up in the 'medicine' section because it doesn't actually award a medical degree.

I don't really care. :p: Just being a massive pedant for pedants sake.

Yeah, but I don't think it really matters if they award thir own medical degree or not. Students can still apply there and study pre-clinical years there, so it gets included.

There are also a few universities including in the league tables for subjects they don't offer a single honours degree in.
Reply 31
Original post by River85
Yeah, but I don't think it really matters if they award thir own medical degree or not. Students can still apply there and study pre-clinical years there, so it gets included.

There are also a few universities including in the league tables for subjects they don't offer a single honours degree in.

That's fair enough - I assume St. Andrews also pops up on the league tables too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending