The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1
I haven't had any problems so far. Just be sensible, don't drink more than you can out without being able to defend yourself. Just don't walk around the student housing areas late at night by yourself and you should be ok. Every place is going to have it's bad areas and in terms of street crime Leeds is not especially bad. House crime is very high in student areas though.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
actually i've only been here few months and the amount of people i've seen killed in the street is unbelievable. the police ar ethere sometimes but usually they just laugh or join in the fun. at first i thought it was a bit of a laugh but you can't even walk down the street without being poisoned or baked in a pie or something. just don't leave house without your morning star and i don't mean the newspaper.
Reply 3
Two guns crimes in Hyde Park, two stabbings in Harehills, two muggings at Leodis residences. All in the last couple of weeks.
its the same in any city, if your sensible and avoid the dodgy areas then you should be fine.
Reply 5
Soapysudds1
its the same in any city, if your sensible and avoid the dodgy areas then you should be fine.

hey i notice your from sheffield. I'm also thinking of going hallam, you know anything good about the uni/area?
Reply 6
Northumbrian
Two guns crimes in Hyde Park, two stabbings in Harehills, two muggings at Leodis residences. All in the last couple of weeks.

Muggings don't really count as they can happen almost anywhere. Have you got a link for any of the gun crimes or stabbings - i haven't heard about them.
Reply 7
nevermind the bloody muggings what about the pie cookings. one time i saw a guy clubbed unconscious in the street and bundled into the back of a bakery truck by some very suspicious customers, but they gave me a pasty so i let them go on their way.
solo
nevermind the bloody muggings what about the pie cookings. one time i saw a guy clubbed unconscious in the street and bundled into the back of a bakery truck by some very suspicious customers, but they gave me a pasty so i let them go on their way.

Was it cheese and onion?
Reply 9
People in Leeds don't feel any more negatively towards students than people in other cities in my opinion.
There is crime, but if you use your common sense, you should be fine - I lived there for two years and never had any problems. (although someone did try and climb through our window, but they set our alarm off and the boys upstairs chased them off - however it was my flatmate's fault for leaving the window open in the first place the dizzy mare!!!! once we established windows should be closed upon leaving the flat, all was well :wink: )
Leeds is a great city to study and be a student in, although I have personally had issues with the standards on my course (law) so make sure you research the quality of the course, its reputation, official standards reports etc., before you make a decision.
Have fun!! :smile:
ffaf
hey i notice your from sheffield. I'm also thinking of going hallam, you know anything good about the uni/area?

the unis a bit crap, but that depends on what your looking to study. sheffield is the safest city in england apparently. its great to go out at night, lots of clubs and bars, and the shopping is good, theres no harvey nicks like in leeds but it has all of your highstreet shops plus nice boutiques. and to top it all off it has meadowhall cos everyone needs a bit of indoor late night shopping, which is where i'm off now. hope iv been some help
solo

I've heard stories about some very seedy looking bakeries around here. People say the delivery men never come out again.
leeds is well good... lived here all my life... because its soooo good i didnt move out of leeds for uni... but i still have a good uni life :tongue:
Reply 13
i think we need batman...

Latest