The Student Room Group

Declining KCL to apply to Warwick through UCAS extra? thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by kevin6767
I just took a second glance at the Times High Fliers: London South Bank is in 6th place and Thames Valley are at 21st place. London South Bank are beating Warwick in this table, why not aim to go there through extra? :rolleyes:

Haha good point

I'm just anxious at whether or not all this 'university name matters for IB' hoo haa is really true or not

When I tell peeps that im going to King's the first response I get is 'Oh really? Wow, well done', but when I tell them that i'm tempted to decline it for Warwick, the response I get it 'where's Warwick?'

So it seems that King's is better from a personal, everyday point of view, but all these tables and mags who forever go on about Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/ICL/Warwick being the top 6 and KCL being unheard of to employers makes me think about whether i'm selling myself short by settling for King's :s-smilie:
Reply 41
Original post by viksta1000
Haha good point

I'm just anxious at whether or not all this 'university name matters for IB' hoo haa is really true or not

When I tell peeps that im going to King's the first response I get is 'Oh really? Wow, well done', but when I tell them that i'm tempted to decline it for Warwick, the response I get it 'where's Warwick?'

So it seems that King's is better from a personal, everyday point of view, but all these tables and mags who forever go on about Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/ICL/Warwick being the top 6 and KCL being unheard of to employers makes me think about whether i'm selling myself short by settling for King's :s-smilie:

You sold yourself short when you didn't apply for Warwick. (That's assuming you're Warwick worthy :tongue:)
Reply 42
Original post by therealOG
You sold yourself short when you didn't apply for Warwick. (That's assuming you're Warwick worthy :tongue:)

Yeah I agree, I sacrificed a place at Warwick for two offers at Cass...and it wasn't worth it

I wish I had the balls back then to apply to Warwick, I thought getting into University was going to be tougher than what it turned out to be...atleast if I got rejected from Warwick after applying I wouldn't have the 'what if' thoughts going through my head :frown:
Reply 43
Original post by mrdoovde1
If you have firmed an offer, you CAN go into ucas extra. You just have to ask the uni to release you

Does this work? I've emailed Warwick to see if they would accept me for a different course through clearing if I asked to be released on results day, but if they say I can have a place now do you think I could asked to be relased now?
Reply 44
Haha good point

Well they do kindaish, but most people have links and u shud look at the warwick is a big player in IB thread, its useful and it really is... maybe we dont know it, but they are.
Original post by honoris
Does this work? I've emailed Warwick to see if they would accept me for a different course through clearing if I asked to be released on results day, but if they say I can have a place now do you think I could asked to be relased now?

You can be released whenever you want. It's best to do it early so when it comes to results day you will be ready to contact you uni's.

If they say you can have a place know, tell your uni's to release you asap so you apply through ucas extra.
Original post by FinalMH
Do you know where the full report is for that page?

No sorry! Just a random link I found on tsr :h:
Original post by FinalMH
London (including Imperial College,
University College and the London School of Economics

I know thats what i thought, but you sure that doesn't mean UCL on its own?

Like it said on page 6? i was quite shocked that it wasn't in Top 20 tbh and wasn't mention throughout the whole pdf :/ hmm weired

The top five universities targeted by the largest number of leading employers during the
2010-2011 recruitment round are Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester, London (which for this
analysis refers to Imperial College, the London School of Economics and the University of London)
Reply 48
Original post by Cherryblossom4you
The top five universities targeted by the largest number of leading employers during the
2010-2011 recruitment round are Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester, London (which for this
analysis refers to Imperial College, the London School of Economics and the University of London)

and UoL includes KCL...:biggrin:
Reply 49
Original post by Cherryblossom4you

Original post by Mr. Roxas
x

Any chances you can put them right? :confused:

exactly!:smile:
Original post by FinalMH
Any chances you can put them right? :confused:

put what right?
Reply 51

Yeah, I'd rather go to South Bank than Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol :rolleyes:

lol at the strand poly, someone needs to audit their books, surprised they're not bankrupt by now
Original post by Focus08
Yeah, I'd rather go to South Bank than Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol :rolleyes:

lol at the strand poly, someone needs to audit their books, surprised they're not bankrupt by now

YEAH! why not if it earns you more money - that's what it's all about :wink:

What's with the hate towards KCL? why anyone would hate a university is beyond me
Reply 53
Original post by Focus08

Original post by mooniibuggy
What's with the hate towards KCL? why anyone would hate a university is beyond me

In one sentence

he went there, didn't like it, moved, now makes a living dissing KCL :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
In one sentence

he went there, didn't like it, moved, now makes a living dissing KCL :biggrin:

Because his experience can be generalised to everyone ... :rolleyes:

I know people at KCL now and they're having the time of their lives.

Oh btw, what have you decided on doing? Still going to KCL?
:smile:
Reply 55
Original post by mooniibuggy
Because his experience can be generalised to everyone ... :rolleyes:

I know people at KCL now and they're having the time of their lives.

Oh btw, what have you decided on doing? Still going to KCL?
:smile:

I'm going to give KCL a try, may try and get into Warwick through adjustment, if not then i'll head to King's and depending on what grades I get in the Summer, I'll reapply once I'm there for a more quantitative subject at somewhere like LSE or Warwick, if I only get AAB then I'll stick at King's.....it can't be that bad, i mean, its effin London :biggrin:
Reply 56
I'm going to give KCL a try, may try and get into Warwick through adjustment, if not then i'll head to King's and depending on what grades I get in the Summer, I'll reapply once I'm there for a more quantitative subject at somewhere like LSE or Warwick, if I only get AAB then I'll stick at King's.....it can't be that bad, i mean, its effin London :biggrin:

So is London Met, Uni East London... you wouldn't go there. That sounds like a good plan, though, but you will be facing higher fees which may not be worth it...
Reply 57
Original post by Focus08
So is London Met, Uni East London... you wouldn't go there. That sounds like a good plan, though, but you will be facing higher fees which may not be worth it...

yes but that's being silly now isn't it?

everyone whos being serious knows that the top universities in London and if not the UK are LSE, UCL, Imperial and King's....yes you saw right, King's

Its consistently rated in the top 25 universities in the world and in the top 10 in the UK, yes I know that there are better universities, but comparing KCL to London Met is abit far feched :wink:

You may have had a bad experience at KCL, but in all fairness that was a few years ago and from what I've heard, their Management course isn't as low caliber as you make out (especially with an entry requirement of AAA :eek:)

Yeah the fees will be the decider, but for a place at LSE it may be worth the extra? as for Warwick...not sure, may stick with King's? After all, Tuition fees are an investment and if going to uni at LSE/Warwick is going to bring me more rewards, then I don't mind paying the extra fees

We'll see how it goes I suppose, may be lucky enough to get a place through adjustment
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
yes but that's being silly now isn't it?

everyone whos being serious knows that the top universities in London and if not the UK are LSE, UCL, Imperial and King's....yes you saw right, King's

Its consistently rated in the top 25 universities in the world and in the top 10 in the UK, yes I know that there are better universities, but comparing KCL to London Met is abit far feched :wink:

You may have had a bad experience at KCL, but in all fairness that was a few years ago and from what I've heard, their Management course isn't as low caliber as you make out (especially with an entry requirement of AAA :eek:)

Yeah the fees will be the decider, but for a place at LSE it may be worth the extra? as for Warwick...not sure, may stick with King's? After all, Tuition fees are an investment and if going to uni at LSE/Warwick is going to bring me more rewards, then I don't mind paying the extra fees

We'll see how it goes I suppose, may be lucky enough to get a place through adjustment

Entry requirements are dictated by the supply and demand of the course (albeit in a very "sticky", lagging manner), not the calibre of the course.
Reply 59
Original post by therealOG
Entry requirements are dictated by the supply and demand of the course (albeit in a very "sticky", lagging manner), not the calibre of the course.

ok well looking at the following stats I beg to differ

LSE:
Economics (A*AA) - 3326 applicants for 210 places = 16 applicants per place
Law (A*AA)- 2801 applicants for 188 places = 14 applicants per place
International relations (AAB) - 1220 applicants for 57 places = 21 applicants per place
Management (AAB) - 1354 applicants for 58 places = 23 applicants per place
History (AAB) - 590 applicants for 31 places = 19 applicants per place

The latter 3 being more competitive and yet having lower entry requirements:hmmm:

But that's just my take on it, may be wrong :s-smilie:...probabaly am, but hey ho, life goes on :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending