The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

4 a levels at bristol?

(Sorry if i rabble on i'm just giving an intro to where i am if you cant be arsed reading it skip to the second paragraph)

soon we have to put in our applications for A level subjets. Currently I am doing Maths, chemistry physics and design. I was going to drop chemistry but its pretty easy so it would be pointless. Maths and physics I need as I would like to study mech eng but I enjoy design despite the mass of work and the teacher wants me to carry on with it. I understand that decent uni's really dont care if you have 3 or 4 a levels so long as you have good grades in them.

Just wondering where bristol stand on doing 4 a levels, does it increase the chance of an offer or will they see it as less effort in the other 3 subjects. I am also more than aware that unis aren't all about what grades you have now and I have a pretty good range of extra-curricular activities to go with the academic work.

Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
(Sorry if i rabble on i'm just giving an intro to where i am if you cant be arsed reading it skip to the second paragraph)

soon we have to put in our applications for A level subjets. Currently I am doing Maths, chemistry physics and design. I was going to drop chemistry but its pretty easy so it would be pointless. Maths and physics I need as I would like to study mech eng but I enjoy design despite the mass of work and the teacher wants me to carry on with it. I understand that decent uni's really dont care if you have 3 or 4 a levels so long as you have good grades in them.

Just wondering where bristol stand on doing 4 a levels, does it increase the chance of an offer or will they see it as less effort in the other 3 subjects. I am also more than aware that unis aren't all about what grades you have now and I have a pretty good range of extra-curricular activities to go with the academic work.

Cheers.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Walker
I understand that decent uni's really dont care if you have 3 or 4 a levels so long as you have good grades in them.

You seem to have answered your own question there.
Walker
I understand that decent uni's really dont care if you have 3 or 4 a levels so long as you have good grades in them.

You seem to have answered your own question there.
Reply 4
I was just checking; as i dont want to miss out on not having to drop design.

cheers all the same
Reply 5
I was just checking; as i dont want to miss out on not having to drop design.

cheers all the same
I have 4 A-levels.....if that helps???
I have 4 A-levels.....if that helps???
They definitely won't discriminate against you for having four A-Levels, that said I don't think it'll count much in your favour unless you're from a school were it's a really exceptional thing to do (imho). I have four A-Levels, but as far as I know the majority of people seem to have three.
They definitely won't discriminate against you for having four A-Levels, that said I don't think it'll count much in your favour unless you're from a school were it's a really exceptional thing to do (imho). I have four A-Levels, but as far as I know the majority of people seem to have three.
Reply 10
there's mixed views...
also on mixed universities...

if you're doing four, then it shows the university that you have an interest in a broad range of subjects...
however as you have a greater workload you may not perform as well as if you were focusing on three...
Reply 11
there's mixed views...
also on mixed universities...

if you're doing four, then it shows the university that you have an interest in a broad range of subjects...
however as you have a greater workload you may not perform as well as if you were focusing on three...
Reply 12
Well, I did more than three and got in, but no-one really knows the range of factors considered when your application is accepted, it can't hurt, if you don't think it will harm your perfomance in your other subjects.
Reply 13
Well, I did more than three and got in, but no-one really knows the range of factors considered when your application is accepted, it can't hurt, if you don't think it will harm your perfomance in your other subjects.
Reply 14
I got in with only 2 full A-levels, so 3 won't be a problem if you get decent grades unless the course is extremely over-subscribed. I wouldn't have thought mechanical engineering would be particularly over-subscribed.
Reply 15
I got in with only 2 full A-levels, so 3 won't be a problem if you get decent grades unless the course is extremely over-subscribed. I wouldn't have thought mechanical engineering would be particularly over-subscribed.
Reply 16
Thanks, and I'm surprised that you dopnt think it will be over subscribed the course looks amazing!

Thanks for all your help I think quite a few people do a general studies as a 4th A level but imho design is completely different to GS. Meh!

Cheers
Reply 17
GS isn't considered by Bristol IIRC, nor by most of what are often cosidered the 'top' universities, so GS may not be relevant to the question.
Reply 18
Walker
Thanks, and I'm surprised that you dopnt think it will be over subscribed the course looks amazing!

Thanks for all your help I think quite a few people do a general studies as a 4th A level but imho design is completely different to GS. Meh!

Cheers

1) GS doesn't really count as a fourth a-level.

2) I think 4 is allways better than 3, but only if your grades do not suffer.

For example AAA would be better for uni than AABB. Even though AABB may take more work.

I'm doing civil, so i'm guessing mechancial is similar in competitiveness. All i know is that Mech has been handing out CCC offers to good candidates and also the typical offer is ( i think) ABB.

I'm not sure how competitive it is, all i know is its alot less competitive than english or history (30 apps per place?).

I get the impression that if you apply to bristol with good grades for engineering and right an approriate ps you will get an offer. But i have no idea how many people they rejected.
Reply 19
I've always told people that they only offer for three a levels (and usually offer specific grades within the 3, so a fourth wouldnt help as a replacement) so theres little point in doing more than that. Do what you like. As long as you have 3 its fine.

--------------

100 apps per place for history :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending