The Student Room Group

Msc in Petroleum Geoscience

Hi All, wondering if I can have some input and opinions here. I have applied and been offered places to do the following course.

MSc Petroleum Geoscience at Royal Holloway

MSc Petroleum Geoscience at Manchester University

MSc Reservoir Evaluation and Management at Heriot Watt.

Are any of these courses more advantageous than the others? At the end of the day I want the best in regards to future employment.

Thanks,

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

Has anybody got a reading list for a course like this- any university? I'd really like to have a look.

Thanks in advance!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by clareyfairy
Hi,

Has anybody got a reading list for a course like this- any university? I'd really like to have a look.

Thanks in advance!

Hey,
Where are you doing your MSc? I'm going to Imperial and I didn't get any list. Did you try asking your department?
Reply 3
Imperial for me too :smile: Was just hoping someone from another course might have one/an ex-imperial student might- long shot, but worth a go I thought! I imagine I'll get sent one in the registration pack when I send confirmation of my degree results. Nice to "meet" someone else doing the course!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
And what accommodation have you chosen?
Reply 5
I'm staying in private accommodation, a flat in Wimbledon, halls was too expensive.
Reply 6
I agree, halls are way too expensive. I'm still looking for accommodation so if you're looking for a flatmate or know anyone who is I'm interested!
Reply 7
Personally I would say Rolhol as I'm starting that course this September and the interview/open day was pretty good as well.

Holla back
Reply 8
Oh also, Manchester lost most of their key staff a couple of years ago and I was advised by a lot of people not accept manch
Heriot Watt probably has the biggest name in industry out of those.
Original post by Mscchoice
Hi All, wondering if I can have some input and opinions here. I have applied and been offered places to do the following course.

MSc Petroleum Geoscience at Royal Holloway

MSc Petroleum Geoscience at Manchester University

MSc Reservoir Evaluation and Management at Heriot Watt.

Are any of these courses more advantageous than the others? At the end of the day I want the best in regards to future employment.

Thanks,

Heriot-Watt University has a good reputation for petroleum related disciplines. However, I'm slightly perturbed that Reservoir E&M might be too narrow in terms of scope. I would have preferred petroleum geoscience in that respect.
Reply 11
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Don't know if people are still following this thread but did you get any luck tracking down a reading list? The last I heard was the email saying there was a "problem" sending it out.

Are either of you (or anyone else lurking) attending the presentations on Monday?
:smile:
Hey- no luck! I too am waiting for the elusive e-mail...
I'm almost 100% it will be way too late- in fact it already is, I am a slow reader.
Was thinking about going- but not sure I want to freak myself out about the presentations so early on in the game. I did something similar with our dissertation presentations for my undergrad...
Reply 13
Hey- no luck! I too am waiting for the elusive e-mail...
I'm almost 100% it will be way too late- in fact it already is, I am a slow reader.
Was thinking about going- but not sure I want to freak myself out about the presentations so early on in the game. I did something similar with our dissertation presentations for my undergrad...

Hi Clare, I got an email today saying the list is being "finalised", I'm quite enjoying not having reading to do to be honest - I’ve had a very relaxed summer to say the least! I also confirmed my attendance to the presentations I get what you’re saying about being freaked out but apparently there are name badges to be had. :smile:
Glad I'm not the only one who has just relaxed this summer... I have had no such e-mail, did you send one to Shashi?

I do love a name badge but I've just come back from London (after moving in to my flat- made everything very real) so I don't think it's realistic to get back for 8:50 tomorrow! Are you going to all of them- very impressed!
Reply 15
Glad I'm not the only one who has just relaxed this summer... I have had no such e-mail, did you send one to Shashi?

I do love a name badge but I've just come back from London (after moving in to my flat- made everything very real) so I don't think it's realistic to get back for 8:50 tomorrow! Are you going to all of them- very impressed!

The email I had was part reply to an email I had sent about attending the presentations so don't worry - you've not been dropped from a mailing list!
There were a a handful of next years students but myself and a couple of others slunk off after the two (2 hour!) morning sessions and the M&S lunch which was worth hanging around for.
The presentations were good, some very good, and looks like we'll be learning lots this coming year!
how is the course and how many students are on it? thanks!
what about the imperial courses?
Reply 18
Have you considered studying overseas? A Norwegian degree would put you in very good steads and you could probably get some awesome contacts in the industry there - and it would be free to study at any university there.
Original post by Einheri
Have you considered studying overseas? A Norwegian degree would put you in very good steads and you could probably get some awesome contacts in the industry there - and it would be free to study at any university there.

is the teaching in english and what's the duration

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending