The Student Room Group

anyone tried slim fast?

i'm thinking of doing a week long slim fast diet as a kick start to a more sustainable diet. ive heard from reviews that its hard to keep up, hence why i am only doing it for a week.
has anyone else done slim fast before? if so, how much weight did you lose and how easy did you find it to follow?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've tried it a few times on seperate occassions, and I managed to lose about 10lbs, maybe more? each time. That was until I read 'and a <600 kcal meal and snacks between meals' and thought 'ooh so I can have 2 milkshakes and 900 calories a day, wow! I'll not snack and have a chocolate cake tonight then'...don't do that, it defeats the point of it :P
It is good, I think, though I know lots of people will no doubt say its stupid, unhealthy, etc. I think though its lacking in fibre a bit so you might feel the consequences of that...its also quite hard to get your 5 a day when you're not actually eating 2/3 of a days main meals, so you could get around that and the fibre issue by making sure your snacks are fruit or veg, and your 3rd meal contains lots.
My favourite milkshake was the chocolate one, but the meal bars are disgusting, I thought. Reeeaaally manky tasting.
I generally found it easy to follow, kept it up for a month, I think, each time, but as I said, when I saw the calorie restriction more like a goal, thats when the weight loss plateaued and I just gave up, and then of course the weight came back on (maybe a reflection on slimfast but this always happens with me anyway)
You might not see an awful lot of weight loss in just a week, probably just water weight, but I think its probably a good idea using it to kick start a diet.
Good luck, anyway
Feel free to ask me any more questions x
2 shakes and 900 cals? how many cals in each shake? why use slim fast at all?

Just cut your cal intake by 300 per day, eat healthy regular meals, dont skip brekkie, get running. If no weight loss in a week cut by another 300. slim fast is to fat people what protein shakes are to skinny people. Unnecessary! you are a marketing directors wet dream. Hope i helped.

F*** slim fast
Reply 3
Original post by KnockoffNeil
2 shakes and 900 cals? how many cals in each shake? why use slim fast at all?

Just cut your cal intake by 300 per day, eat healthy regular meals, dont skip brekkie, get running. If no weight loss in a week cut by another 300. slim fast is to fat people what protein shakes are to skinny people. Unnecessary! you are a marketing directors wet dream. Hope i helped.

F*** slim fast

theres like 200 calories in them if you use skimmed milk. and there are literally just milkshakes so you don't feel like you've eaten and will still want food. buying them is paying for a 200 calorie milkshake with the hope of loosing weight :s-smilie:
they do have vitamins and things added I think but thats about as good as they get
and shes only doing it for a week. What is the effing point in that? women do stupid S*** sometimes it has to be said. and just to make it fair i will finish by saying sometimes men have no common sense.
Reply 5
okay.. is there any need to be so aggressive?

i should point out that I usually eat around 1200 calories a day anyway so really im doing this to get myself in the habit of eating less. I don't expect to lose a lot, but Im hoping it will set me up mentally for a long term diet.
lose weight the proper way and hit the gym.

i sound cynical there, and i'm sorry for that. but i don't understand people who pump themselves up with medicines to try to fix their weight or height. :/
my aunt is feeding her 14 year old and 5 year old daughters tons of medicine just to get them growing. is that normal?
Original post by dreamer_x

i'm thinking of doing a week long slim fast diet as a kick start to a more sustainable diet. ive heard from reviews that its hard to keep up, hence why i am only doing it for a week.
has anyone else done slim fast before? if so, how much weight did you lose and how easy did you find it to follow?

Yeah i tried slimfast but it made me fatter.
Reply 8
Lol slim fast is just an exspensive scam.
Reply 9
Original post by U.S Lecce
Lol slim fast is just an exspensive scam.

so is the gym.
Reply 10
so is the gym.

To a certain extent yes. But a gym has facilities such as weights and resistance training machines that you wouldn't be able to use without actually going to the gym or buying them.

Slimfast on the other hand is exspensive ready made food (that probably tastes horrible) with a low amount of calories (or so they claim). Essentially instead of buying slimfast you can just cut some calories out of your diet, instead of changing your diet. Which in anycase if you ever come off slimfast you'll have to cut the calories off your normal diet anyway otherwise you'll put the weight back on. Either that or stay on the slimfast. Then again you could just increase the amount of exercise you do.
Reply 11
so is the gym.

LOL what?
Reply 12
Original post by U.S Lecce
To a certain extent yes. But a gym has facilities such as weights and resistance training machines that you wouldn't be able to use without actually going to the gym or buying them.

Slimfast on the other hand is exspensive ready made food (that probably tastes horrible) with a low amount of calories (or so they claim). Essentially instead of buying slimfast you can just cut some calories out of your diet, instead of changing your diet. Which in anycase if you ever come off slimfast you'll have to cut the calories off your normal diet anyway otherwise you'll put the weight back on. Either that or stay on the slimfast. Then again you could just increase the amount of exercise you do.

slim fast does not have a small amount of calories! it has less calories than a meal and your meant to replace a meal with it. but its a drink, and no more filling than any other drink. this drink is about 250 calories with skim milk and lets face it hardly anyone uses skim milk. how it helps people loose weight I have no idea because it doesn't take away the need for self control and everything else you need to diet, in fact it makes it worse because you haven't eat at all you don't feel like you've eat your body is still asking you for food but you've drank probably 300 calories if you use semi skimmed milk. and thats 300 calories ontop of the food most people give in and eat.

gah! sorry for the rant but my mum bought some and it really annoys me.

on the plus side though your wrong about it not tasting nice and putting it in the blender with icecream makes the yummyest milkshake ever.
Reply 13
try running and a healthy diet. rather than unhealthy shortcuts..
Reply 14
Maybe try buying Weightwatchers's meals? You can buy whatever you want then, and even treat yourself so long as you stick to the points system. It will also get you used to eating smaller portions too.

I have no interest in losing weight, but even I buy some Weightwatchers's stuff when it is on special offer, because it is actually really nice; for example, the chicken hotpot, and all the desserts are nice too.
I wouldn't bother with slimfast, when I'm starting a diet, I tend to do a week of intense cutback, as in 2 low calorie, low fat meals a day and only snack on things like fruit and snack a jacks. Drinking a lot of water is surprisingly good for stopping you feeling full, when I'm on a cutback week I can drink about 2 litres a day, which not only curbs my appetite but also makes my skin and hair look great. Then after this week, I tend to go back to 3 meals a day, but avoid processed food and things high in sat fats. Though I would advise not cutting out dairy, I read recently about a study which found people who drink 2 glasses of semi skimmed milk per day on average lost more weight over a certain time span than people who didn't, so make of that what you will :smile: Just sharing what works for me anyway, I appreciate everyone's different when it comes to eating habits.
But yeah, don't waste your money on things like slimfast when it's a lot easier, and probably better for you, to make up your own diet plan.

i should point out that I usually eat around 1200 calories a day anyway so really im doing this to get myself in the habit of eating less. I don't expect to lose a lot, but Im hoping it will set me up mentally for a long term diet.

well yes there is, maybe i should have said you go ahead and waste your money.

Your only eating 1200 cals a day and you think you need to replace 2 of your meals with liquid S***. You dont eat a lot as it is so why the hell do you even need to think about it.

you also say going to the gym is as much of a scam as slim fast, and you wonder why i say women say and do stupid S*** sometimes. the only time a gym is a scam is when u pay a membership and then are too lazy to go, but then that would be your fault not the gyms.

If you were smart you would take my advice and do what i said in an earlier response to your thread. If you are lazy and want to buy into a scam (which i fell you already have) enjoy being hungry and dissapointed long term when the weight piles back on.
Reply 17
Original post by KnockoffNeil
well yes there is, maybe i should have said you go ahead and waste your money.

Your only eating 1200 cals a day and you think you need to replace 2 of your meals with liquid S***. You dont eat a lot as it is so why the hell do you even need to think about it.

you also say going to the gym is as much of a scam as slim fast, and you wonder why i say women say and do stupid S*** sometimes. the only time a gym is a scam is when u pay a membership and then are too lazy to go, but then that would be your fault not the gyms.

If you were smart you would take my advice and do what i said in an earlier response to your thread. If you are lazy and want to buy into a scam (which i fell you already have) enjoy being hungry and dissapointed long term when the weight piles back on.

okay, im sorry but your 'advice' was mostly comprised of swearing and sexism and how am i supposed to take any of that seriously?
The reason I am against the gym is not because I'm lazy but because I would much rather go for a half hour run or cycle out in the open (which I do.. every day) than spend a lot of money on
doing the same thing in a depressing room full of sweaty people and machines. I dont see that slim fast costs a lot of money when I would probably spend more on food, eating out etc.

1200 per day is actually very low as it is. You should probably try to change what you eat to healthier options, rather than to cut down the calories.

When I was on my diet (well, still am) I lost more weight eating 1500 per day than I did eating 1000 per day. I can't explain why- maybe it's because my body thought I was starving it so held onto everything it could.. but there you go.
okay, im sorry but your 'advice' was mostly comprised of swearing and sexism and how am i supposed to take any of that seriously?
The reason I am against the gym is not because I'm lazy but because I would much rather go for a half hour run or cycle out in the open (which I do.. every day) than spend a lot of money on
doing the same thing in a depressing room full of sweaty people and machines. I dont see that slim fast costs a lot of money when I would probably spend more on food, eating out etc.

No sexism in my first response. and the advice was sound and givin to help you. You struggle to take it seriously because your lazy and exspect milkshakes to help you lose weight. You need a proper diet. I call it S*** because thats what it is, im not educated enough to think of a nicer way of saying drinking that stuff is retarded. And yes going to the gym to use a running machine is another waste of money you are right on that one. But people that go to gyms to use olympic weights for compound lifting probably crnt afford the £1000s of pounds worth of equipment.

Quick Reply

Latest