The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Can you download torrents in halls?

Obviously halls have different internet broadband but just wondering whether some sites are blocked or not really? Can you download torrents?
I ask because I'm going SHU this Sept so you know.

Omg, why did I get negged? I was only asking, it's not like I was asking whether... oh nevermind.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

(edited 12 years ago)
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by nikki-jones2009
err if you want to get banned from the internet...go ahead.....or you could just do the right thing...and actually BUY the stuff you want...

You can download legal stuff with torrents too..
Reply 3
can u stream online shows? i dont think its legal, but its not downloading!
Reply 4
Original post by nikki-jones2009
err if you want to get banned from the internet...go ahead.....or you could just do the right thing...and actually BUY the stuff you want...

I do buy stuff :s-smilie:... I was only asking Jeez. Calm down woman! It was only a general question, don't you think I know the consequences? Bloody nora.
Reply 5
Original post by jde-tv
can u stream online shows? i dont think its legal, but its not downloading!

Yeah you can. You can go on the 4OD site and stream shows from there... It's legal and official because it's from the 4OD site. You can watch BBC 1 live on the BBC iPlayer site. I had to watch Eastenders so I typed in watch Eastenders live and it came up with BBC iPlayer and I was like ":O omg! This is so awesome!"
Reply 6
York definatly don;t allow torrents in halls, in fact they've completely disabled them, i imagine the same will be for any other unis
Reply 7
Seriously, what's up with the neg? It's a normal question... it's not offensive. It's not racist. It's just like any other question out there :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Private trackers + server + vpn = s'fine.
Reply 9
I would not know the answer to this question as I have never, ever tried to do this on this university internet connection. :ninja:
Reply 10
Original post by Wookie42
Private trackers + server + vpn = s'fine.

That's true.
Reply 11
Like someone above me said, if you use a seedbox/server it shouldnt be a problem. Then youve just gotta get around the blocks on the torrent sites. Unless again, you use private trackers.
Use hotspot. Not that I support it, don't download illegal stuff myself.
Reply 13
Original post by NickR92
Yeah you can. You can go on the 4OD site and stream shows from there... It's legal and official because it's from the 4OD site. You can watch BBC 1 live on the BBC iPlayer site. I had to watch Eastenders so I typed in watch Eastenders live and it came up with BBC iPlayer and I was like ":O omg! This is so awesome!"

You can ****ed by TV license .... watching BBC live on the net is illegal unless you have one ...
Reply 14
I hope it's not blocked - although if it is I'll just have to do some mass downloading everytime I pop home! :tongue:
Reply 15
There are easy work arounds if they have attempted to block them.
Reply 16
Seriously guys, it isn't that hard to get into private sites, and doesn't cost much to get a half decent slot on a server somewhere. Cover your ass before downloading if I were you :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
It's already very hard to find out who's doing what in P2P networks. I suggest people learn a little more about them :rolleyes:
Original post by G550NDH
You can ****ed by TV license .... watching BBC live on the net is illegal unless you have one ...

I've always wondered, TV catchup has a delay of about 4 seconds. Does that mean it's not live and you don't need a TV licence?
Reply 19
Original post by Hello Laura!
I've always wondered, TV catchup has a delay of about 4 seconds. Does that mean it's not live and you don't need a TV licence?

http://support.tvcatchup.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=15 Yeah you do. Think about it. The one on the BBC website is not perfectly live it has some lag as well yet you have to have a tv license to watch it.

On a totally unrelated note ... what bars should i check out when i arrive in glasgow for uni :wink: ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending