The Student Room Group

M.A. Terrorism Courses

Hi all,

I'm after applying for an M.A. course in Terrorism or a related discipline within the UK and I've already had an offer from King's College for Terrorism and Security.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the best institutions for terrorism and similar subjects are in the UK? I know King's has a really good War Studies department and the Terrorism masters is run from that dept, but Nottingham, Birmingham and Leeds also seem to have similar masters schemes, and they're all good unis too. Any advice much appreciated!
Reply 1
As long as they have work placement/internships in terrorist organisations then go for it.
Try and get a sandwich year. I heard Al-Qaeda are recruiting...
Reply 3
I'm in Engineering. SO when people ask me what is my qualification I say I'm engineer.

When people ask you whats your profession... what are you going to say? A terrorist?!

LOL
(edited 12 years ago)
As long as you're going into the 'stopping' side of terrorism then I wish you good luck! :congrats:
Not sure what constitutes as best for most people. But the places below are the ones that I personally find the most interesting. Though Kings should not be sniffed at, at all for its War Studies. I am sure you'd find your education very fulfilling. But additional suggestions...

If you want to skirt danger and controversy you can attempt Critical Terrorism Studies at Aberystwyth University. You can google the field, it's quite new and exciting and has garnered a lot of attention but it's not for everyone's tastes. For more traditional ways of studying Terror, St. Andrews in Scotland comes to mind, their centre for the study of Terror and Political Violence is well established in British IR academia and is the oldest in Europe. UCL's MA in Security Studies is geared towards terrorism related studies if you take a look at their core course. It is run by an academic that is known for their quantitative (maths warning!!) approach to terrorism studies, and global movement tracking.
Original post by Theconomist
As long as they have work placement/internships in terrorist organisations then go for it.

Haha, I'm totally looking forward to my internship with Hamas. Gaza strip here Bubbles comes!!!!! :pal:
Reply 7
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Haha, I'm totally looking forward to my internship with Hamas. Gaza strip here Bubbles comes!!!!! :pal:

Chica nooo.A friend of mine was at Hamas and it's lame.All you do is clean ak-47s all day.
IRA is where it's at+ it's paid (albeit in beers but still) you're assigned to a team and you get to work on exciting projects.
Louise Richardson, the principal at St Andrews, was a former professor on terrorism at Harvard. Not sure if she currently supervises students though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Yes... the department of security and crime science at the jill dando institute in UCL. It runs masters in Countering Organised Crime and Terrorism, and Crime Science, as well as various PhD's. Its world class, with academics from all over travelling to give lectures and work there. Check out the website and have a look at the staff profiles and course structure, etc.

I have been accepted onto the COCT one, and CANNOT wait! I'm so excited. I was accepted onto the same Kings masters as you, but declined in favour of this one. And in response to what we'll call ourselves... Counter-Terrorism professionals :smile:

Good luck.... here's the website... http://www.ucl.ac.uk/scs/pg-taught/msc-coct
Reply 10
Original post by nameIess
I'm in Engineering. SO when people ask me what is my qualification I say I'm engineer.

When people ask you whats your profession... what are you going to say? A terrorist?!

LOL

this is the stupidest thing i've ever heard
congratulations
Reply 11
King's war studies department is very good, and it has links to NATO, EU etc. King's is really good.
the UCL Countering Organised Crime and Terrorism programme sounds amazing! What are the career prospects for this Masters?
Reply 13
Original post by brownbear88
Louise Richardson, the principal at St Andrews, was a former professor on terrorism at Harvard. Not sure if she currently supervises students though.

She doesn't.
Original post by mir
And in response to what we'll call ourselves... Counter-Terrorism professionals :smile:

Jumping the gun much?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending