The Student Room Group

XYZ's log

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Michael XYZ
Nope, my own creation.

I mean why don't you do something similar to it, as most your upperobdy lifts are now power/hypertrophy

is that your max OHP?
Reply 381
Original post by Gallium
I mean why don't you do something similar to it, as most your upperobdy lifts are now power/hypertrophy

is that your max OHP?

I did do 65kg for 5x12 bench before that so I can't say it's really a max. It's definitely close to it though, sure.

PHAT is a great program but I don't want to workout 5x/week. Plus, I don't like the fact that it kind of neglects either deadlift or squat on the lower power days.
Reply 382
Squat
65kg - 1x5
85kg - 1x5
105kg - 1x5
125kg - 1x5
152.5kg - 1x3 PR

Good Mornings
67.5kg - 5x8

Weighted Sit-ups

Great session. Hit a PR so what else can I say? Saw u4m1r there too. He said I hit depth on them but I'm not entirely sure. The second and third rep I think were fine but the first rep seemed a little high, not sure though. It was nothing major so I'm still happy with it.
Reply 383
Congrats on the PR (again!)
Reply 384
Bench
97.5kg - 1x3 PR

Military Press
40kg - 3x10

Dips
10kg - 4x10, 1x8

Pull-ups
BW - 1x9, 1x7, 1x8, 1x6, 1x7

Pushdowns
40 - 1x10, 1x5, 1x6

Pulldowns
11 - 2x10, 1x8

Bicep Curls

Pretty good session - hitting a PR is always nice. Changed where I was doing pull-ups from as well and going fairly wide I'd say; kinda odd the reps (going up and down) but that was just due to rest factor. At times was resting a little amount and others I rested a little longer. Plus, sometimes I put music on to really push it and it definitely helps, at times, to squeeze another rep or two out.
Reply 385
Good work man. 100 x 3 next time!!
Reply 386
Original post by u4m1r
Good work man. 100 x 3 next time!!

Definitely my goal.
Congrats on PB
Reply 388
Deadlift
75kg - 1x5
95kg - 1x5
115kg - 1x5
135kg - 1x5
170kg - 1x3 PR

Leg Press
5 - 1x10

Back Raises
10kg - 3x12

Yippy! New PR, really pleased with it. Trying to work out what I can do instead of leg presses. I'm thinking possibly lunges or front squats but I don't know.
FRONT SQUATS BRO <3 I AM LOVING THEM... and congrats on another PB! :P

Wanna race to 200 :wink: ?
It's on! xD
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 390
Front squats seem like a good idea BUT no way I can use the conventional way. My wrists lack the flexibility and, honestly, I'm not exactly bothered as I'm not planning on having a career in Oly lifting.
Front squats seem like a good idea BUT no way I can use the conventional way. My wrists lack the flexibility and, honestly, I'm not exactly bothered as I'm not planning on having a career in Oly lifting.

I have just started doing these(to become more flexible,lol).. I find them much more 'effective' than the usual BS... when i do these.. i actually feel my hip doing some work ,it takes awhile for the wrist to get used to, another reason could be that this lift allows me to go below parallel. So which routine are you on .. is it still high volume hypertrophy based ?
Reply 392
Original post by ibysaiyan
I have just started doing these(to become more flexible,lol).. I find them much more 'effective' than the usual BS... when i do these.. i actually feel my hip doing some work ,it takes awhile for the wrist to get used to, another reason could be that this lift allows me to go below parallel. So which routine are you on .. is it still high volume hypertrophy based ?

I'm doing my own thing, just taken things that have worked for me here and there.

So I have two bench days, one deadlift day and one squat day. After those lifts, I do some assistance work. Trying to keep volume on upper body high for hypertrophy. Not so much the case on lower body because my legs are quite big anyway and I'm not really worried about them getting any bigger.
200kg front squat? The **** lol

Original post by ibysaiyan
FRONT SQUATS BRO <3 I AM LOVING THEM... and congrats on another PB! :P

Wanna race to 200 :wink: ?
It's on! xD
Original post by redbuthotter
200kg front squat? The **** lol

Yea got problem ? xD ain't I the beast?! or what...
nah jokes aside.. i was talking about DL.. no way in hell will my squat get anywhere close to 150 (and i am talking of BS.. ) 200 on FS ? lol unless I put on some hydraulic powered oly shoes, nah . lol
I'll race you there if you want :P
Reply 396
it'll take me a good 6+ months to hit a 200 single, last time i maxed i think i got 160/165, current deloaded my deadlift so working back up

Uhuh. Some form of unilateral leg work would probably be a better choice than front squats if you are already squatting and don't plan on a weightlifting career.
Why? If you bring up a weakness (core/quads), surely it'll have some benefit to overall training.

I think its similar to having a weak military press whilst having a big bench, iirc there are rough optimum ratios for certain lifts.

66% MP:Bench

85% FS:BS

I can see the POV if you had back issues and wanted to do some light work, but assuming your healthy and flexible shouldn't be a problem.

I always work on my weakest squat then switch when its at the 85% mark.

Original post by Smack
Uhuh. Some form of unilateral leg work would probably be a better choice than front squats if you are already squatting and don't plan on a weightlifting career.
+ bringing up that weakness usually has carry over to DL/BS.

I guess the real question is, do you get more value for money from brining up FS or just hammering BS. I find I can usually PR quickly until I reach 80-85% mark anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest