The Student Room Group

Heavy Period-Possible Miscarriage?

Ok, I'll try and make this as quick to the point as possible. (Sorry it's a bit graffic.)

I have known for a few weeks now that there is the possibility that I may be pregnant but I decided to wait until my period was due before taking a pregnancy test. (I thought that there was a possibility that I may be pregnant because I missed 2 of my pills and stupidly didn't use a condom one of the times I had sex afterwards. I've also been feeling really tired and have felt a bit nauseous some days and have had headaches which I do not usually suffer from.)
Anyway, my periods are normally very light and last about 4 days but on friday I started bleeding very heavily and there has been quite a bit of clotting too. I'm still bleeding heavily now and clotting also - four days on, and today I felt very sick and dizzy. My periods are normally very regular and I have been on the pill now for over 2 years and have never experienced anything like this before.
Today I started to get very worried and have been doing a bit of research on the internet and miscarriage came up. I'm now scared that maybe I've had a miscarriage but I'm wondering if maybe I'm just over-reacting and thinking the worst?
If I was to take a pregnancy test tomorrow and if I have actually had a miscarriage then would it show up that I was pregnant even if I had miscarried??

Any helpful opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would go and see a doctor as soon as possible. If this bleeding is unusually heavy for you, you should really get it checked out - it may be a miscarriage or it may not be, but at least you'll know what's going on. They will also be able to give you a pregnancy test.

:smile:
Reply 2
From what I know (and that's not much) I thought miscarriages were painful.
Go to a doctor or phone NHS direct. Whether it's a miscarriage or not, a change in bleeding like that you really should discuss.

I don't want to offer my opinion because relying on it when wrong I really don't think appropriate in something so sensitive. Please, please try and see a doctor as soon as you can.

Good luck.
Reply 4
Yes, I thought they were meant to be painful too. This is why I'm confused as to what's wrong. All I know is that this is definitely not normal for me.
Reply 5
Go straight to a doctor, purely to put your mind at rest if nothing else.
Reply 6
Most hospitals have a gyne assessment unit where ya doctor will send you if you suspect you are or have miscarried.
They will test your blood for a hormone which is present when you are pregnant.....and give you a ultra sound scan.
Its really important that you get in touch with your doctor first thing in the morning as if you have miscarried you will need to know.
Reply 7
Steph D
Its really important that you get in touch with your doctor first thing in the morning as if you have miscarried you will need to know.

...Why? Don't necessarily disagree, just wondering
Reply 8
Poica
From what I know (and that's not much) I thought miscarriages were painful.

I was under the impression that something like one in three pregnancies ends in a miscarriage, often so early that the woman may not even realise that she is pregnant (or that she has miscarried - which would suggest that it's not necessarily a painful process). I might be wrong, though. I do think that the OP should see a doctor as soon as possible to put her mind at ease.
Reply 9
Oh god, I'm scared now :frown: I'm supposed to be going home for the christmas holidays tomorrow (I'm in halls at university at the moment), hopefully I'll have time to visit the doctors or a clinic.
Anonymous
Oh god, I'm scared now :frown: I'm supposed to be going home for the christmas holidays tomorrow (I'm in halls at university at the moment), hopefully I'll have time to visit the doctors or a clinic.

Phone NHS direct now and see if they can give you something more specific. They'll definitely have more expertise than we do on the matter.
Reply 11
Just wanted to mention the NHS direct phone number as the op might not be able to find it or something, it's 0845 4647, they are generally pretty good, even though in this situation I reckon they'll tell you to go to a doctor.
Reply 12
Poica
...Why? Don't necessarily disagree, just wondering

Did not wanna scare the girl but....majority of time there is still some fetus left in womb and if it remains there causes infection. Normally a pill is given i think it loosens the cervix or if that does not work then it is surgically removed by a d n c.
I have never been pregnant but I saw a lot of women whom had miscarried.
Reply 13
Anonymous
Yes, I thought they were meant to be painful too. This is why I'm confused as to what's wrong. All I know is that this is definitely not normal for me.

Just because something is NORMALLY painful, doesn't mean it always will be. If you were pregnant and this period is a miscarriage, then it would only have been a few weeks, and therefore not likely to be very big.

If you are worried and are still losing lots of blood, then call NHS direct or go to your GP.
Reply 14
I don't have a phone at the moment so can't phone, unfortunately.
I was under the impression that when you miscarried you only bled for about a day? I don't know much about miscarriages though, obviously.
Hopefully I'm just worrying over nothing.
Reply 15
Anonymous

Don't scare yourself unnecessarily. It's quite likely to be nothing serious, but I do think that you should get it checked out as soon as possible for your peace of mind, if nothing else. It's really not the sort of worry you want hanging over your head over Christmas!

:smile:
Reply 16
Anonymous

I am so sorry if I have scared you.
Reply 17
Anonymous
I don't have a phone at the moment so can't phone, unfortunately.
I was under the impression that when you miscarried you only bled for about a day? I don't know much about miscarriages though, obviously.
Hopefully I'm just worrying over nothing.

As I said before, nothing (especially what you heard is "supposed" to happen) is ever concrete. You might have miscarried, you might not. However, either way you are bleeding much more heavily than normal and if you're worried, you should get it seen to.
Reply 18
No need to say sorry, I asked for people's advice and opinions and I'm glad for yours.
Absolute best of luck. Do let us know how it goes, ok?

x

Latest