The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Vintage
Birmingham are in europe next season as are Fulham. Hardly any better than us.

Birmingham only through the Carling Cup and Fulham through fair play.
Then for league allocations, the competition includes Tottenham, Liverpool, Aston Villa and Everton.

Nowhere near as good as Tottenham or Liverpool. Perhaps around the same as Villa and Everton with some quality signings.
Reply 101
Confirmed that Krul will make his debut and start for Holland tomorrow against Brazil. :congrats:
Original post by mau5
Confirmed that Krul will make his debut and start for Holland tomorrow against Brazil. :congrats:

Is Stekelenberg injured ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 103
Original post by Da_hopeful_1
Is Stekelenberg injured ?

Think he's still out with his broken hand. I'm happy for him, he's proved all those people who said his eyes were too far apart and hair was too **** to make it as a top goalkeeper incorrect. Well done Timmy.
Original post by mau5
Owen is a total cock like, twice he's had a pop at Newcastle on twitter now and twice he's spouted rubbish about deserving two fa cup medals because he scored both goals past arsenal.

For anyone wanting to rewatch his return to SJP. Can't belive he said he was suprised by that reception aswell.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj1wzn_michael-owen-s-return-to-st-james-park_fun

Haha i love when joey barton squares up to him, owen looks like he made a mess in his pants! haha!!!! Barton=massive lad!
Reply 106
Original post by RobSchofield93
Haha i love when joey barton squares up to him, owen looks like he made a mess in his pants! haha!!!! Barton=massive lad!

"Joey, Joey knock him out...!"

Possibly chant of the season. :awesome:
Loved that "Money grabbing b*star" chant...this is the club that paid him £133,000 a week and yet they think he's money grabbing for leaving and rejecting a new one year deal of £140k...a week.
Funny stuff.
Reply 108
Original post by Berbalicious
Loved that "Money grabbing b*star" chant...this is the club that paid him £133,000 a week and yet they think he's money grabbing for leaving and rejecting a new one year deal of £140k...a week.
Funny stuff.

Source?

This is the man that was happy to pick up bumper pay checks for doing very little, from a club that he never wanted to be at and had very little affinity with. He made no effort to settle in the area (I'm almost certain he used to commute from Cheshire), and (allegedly) made no effort in the clubs community projects. (i.e. he was happy to cruise along doing the bare minimum.)

I don't blame him one bit for his injuries, they were obviously unavoidable, but when he was on the pitch his effort was severely lacking. This became blatantly obvious in the relegation run-in. Then, when we were relegated, he clearly didn't give two ****'s, and scuttled off to his next bumper pay check at Man Utd where, unbelievably, he's been able to get away with doing even less for the money!!

Finally, to rub a bit more salt in the wounds, he's been periodically subtly slagging the club off via the press and twitter ever since.

Come back better informed next time.
Reply 109
Ah! So that's why he didn't go to Hull or Bolton. "Rather play less in a top team than every game in a poor team. Been there and didn't like it". I've lost a lot of respect for him now (not that I ever did "respect" him). So playing for England, and playing regularly, is not more important than winning a league medal (with only a very small contribution). Talk about seeking glory.

I feel like creating a Twitter account to WUM him. There's one thing Owen did playing in this "poor" team which he never did in a Manchester United shirt and never will - play for his country and play in a World Cup.

Perhaps if Newcastle weren't paying you ****loads in wages whilst you were injured (or fit, but clearly not giving a ****) they would have been able to afford some more better players.
Reply 110
Funny stuff.

It's clearly aimed at the fact he only cared about the money he was getting here and nothing else, he made no effort both on and off the pitch in four years here. Michael Owen simply cares about himself, money and his horses far more than he does about football and it's pretty sad that a professional footballer would prefer not playing and hanging around a big club than actually having to play at a lower level. The only team he's ever been interested in is England, once he realised Capello isn't stupid enough to pick him anymore and he can no longer go for his record he's effectively given up.
Reply 111
Original post by TM94
Birmingham only through the Carling Cup and Fulham through fair play.
Then for league allocations, the competition includes Tottenham, Liverpool, Aston Villa and Everton.

Nowhere near as good as Tottenham or Liverpool. Perhaps around the same as Villa and Everton with some quality signings.

Way better than Villa espeically when Young & Downing go in the summer. Everton have no strikers but still are a decent team. I'd agree with you that with a couple of quality players we'll be as good as them. Probs better tbf.

Tim Krul starting is great. I think i'll watch the dutch game instead of Englands.

and about Owen: What an absolute cretin. It was great what Liambias said but i'd rather him concentrate on statements about the present not whats happened. How about something on the Barton contract Derek?

Owen is a money grabbing dick. He knew he wouldn't get the money he was on anywhere else & therefore just plodded along collecting it. Those who say he's not a money grabber because he refused our contract extension offer. He would have took that if we stayed up.
The poster above is right about Owen not even moving up here. He travelled to training/games from Chesire in his helicopter. Occasionally staying in hotels. He had no interest in Newcastle United football club.
It is a shame he had those injuries. He should never have been in the England squad for the world cup, never mind starting. As soon as i saw his knee go in the first couple of minutes of the first game i knew he was finished. If he hadn't of got that injury there is no doubt about it we would have got goals.

But Owen gets the brunt too of the fans fury over our relegation. He wasn't the only one who showed a gutless performance that season. Everyone did. He was just the highest paid player. Others stayed and proved there worth in the championship.
Original post by mau5

What channel is the brazil v Holland game on, can't wait:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 113
Rumours in france that Gervinho will sign for us.

Still not sure myself, apparently Arsenal are chasing him too so it would be surprising if he chose us over them. I won't be believing it until it's official and I've seen him in a Newcastle shirt.

Source:

http://www.foot01.com/equipe/lille/gervinho-et-newcastle-c-est-chaud,72602

Translation:

Gervinho signing appears imminent announcement in Newcastle on Saturday, Sky Sports. Lille striker could join another player in the LOSC, Yohan Cabaye among the Magpies from this weekend. The Ivorian striker's agent Lille currently negotiate the final details of his transfer with the leaders of the English team. In operation, the LOSC could pocket 16ME. For the record, Gervinho joined Lille in 2009 paid an average of 6.5 ME at Le Mans.
Original post by scriggy
Source?

This is the man that was happy to pick up bumper pay checks for doing very little, from a club that he never wanted to be at and had very little affinity with. He made no effort to settle in the area (I'm almost certain he used to commute from Cheshire), and (allegedly) made no effort in the clubs community projects. (i.e. he was happy to cruise along doing the bare minimum.)

I don't blame him one bit for his injuries, they were obviously unavoidable, but when he was on the pitch his effort was severely lacking. This became blatantly obvious in the relegation run-in. Then, when we were relegated, he clearly didn't give two ****'s, and scuttled off to his next bumper pay check at Man Utd where, unbelievably, he's been able to get away with doing even less for the money!!

Finally, to rub a bit more salt in the wounds, he's been periodically subtly slagging the club off via the press and twitter ever since.

Come back better informed next time.

Better informed? Source? Well it's straight out of Derek Llambias's mouth.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/03/michael-owen-newcastle-united-manchester

IMO it's a PR disaster to release that information. But some of the deals going on at that time were crazy, wasn't Luque offered £60K a week when he signed and he claimed he hadn't even mentioned that figure, they just straight out offered it to him.
Were you relegated that season? I can't actually remember :s-smilie: . That would have been financial suicide to have a player on 140K a week in the Championship, there was no guarrantee that you would have gone straight back up.

Owen was poor at Newcastle of that there is no doubt. But I think it's a little bit of a similar situation to Berbatov at United...player moves for a massive fee and with massive expectations, doesn't set the world on fire so people are naturally more disappointed as their raised expectations aren't met. But Owen was in a poor Newcastle team and is a limited player, he was never going to singlehandedly save you from relegation was he?

I'm not defending Owen, but surely the players are allowed to give back as good as they get right? It's like Lampard with West Ham, he moved to Chelsea and West Ham got £13Million...the treatment he gets from them is a joke. He was a professional for years there and owes his ex club nothing, he should give them the finger every time.
Reply 115

Owen was poor at Newcastle of that there is no doubt. But I think it's a little bit of a similar situation to Berbatov at United...player moves for a massive fee and with massive expectations, doesn't set the world on fire so people are naturally more disappointed as their raised expectations aren't met. But Owen was in a poor Newcastle team and is a limited player, he was never going to singlehandedly save you from relegation was he?

Berbatov has been scoring plenty of goals.

On paper we had quite a good team. Just none of them gave a ****. Plus having 232 managers that season harmed us.
Set to sign, wait for it.

Spoiler

4 year deal!
Reply 117
Better informed? Source? Well it's straight out of Derek Llambias's mouth.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/03/michael-owen-newcastle-united-manchester

IMO it's a PR disaster to release that information. But some of the deals going on at that time were crazy, wasn't Luque offered £60K a week when he signed and he claimed he hadn't even mentioned that figure, they just straight out offered it to him.
Were you relegated that season? I can't actually remember :s-smilie: . That would have been financial suicide to have a player on 140K a week in the Championship, there was no guarrantee that you would have gone straight back up.

I'm not defending Owen, but surely the players are allowed to give back as good as they get right? It's like Lampard with West Ham, he moved to Chelsea and West Ham got £13Million...the treatment he gets from them is a joke. He was a professional for years there and owes his ex club nothing, he should give them the finger every time.

It's nothing like Berbatov at all. How you can compare someone who finished the league top scorer to someone who captained a side to relegation is unreal. The team was hardly 'poor' either, we had the likes of Martins, Colocinni, Beye, Viduka, Duff, Enrique, Jonas, Bassong, Nzogbia, Given and Barton play for us that season. It was not a squad that shoudl have been anywhere the relegation zone. The tail end of that season when it really mattered Owen totally bottled noticeably more than others.

On a more positive note Krul played really well tonight and possibly should have had MOTM. Seems he's kept a clean sheet on his European, Championship, Premier League and International debuts.
Neil Taylor's just another James Perch lol.
Ranger transfer listed. Nolan and Barton not going to have their deals extended. West Ham want Smith. For Nolan and Smith, as players I don't mind, but in terms of what they've done to the dressing room, getting rid of Smith Nolan and Barton would kill the dressing room, won't it?

Latest