The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yoyo462001
Getting 83% in applied econometrics is unfortunately not impressive and generally pretty easy. Generally anything that isn't essay based is where you can score very high marks I'd presume.

It was the highest mark of the year :confused:
My bro got over 80% for his dissertation at Durham.
Bloody hard work it was, his bibliography was longer than most of my essays.
My highest essay mark was 62% I was overjoyed. It brought my overall class mark up to 52% :tongue:
Original post by Armaros
If 80% is publishable, what is the 100% exemplar against which essays are judged?

I'm still in school, so sorry for being of no help, I'm just curious :smile:

No such thing as the perfect essay mate. Never say never though :colone:
Reply 24
In my department handbook the grading guide is capped at 80%...so I dunno.. depends on university and course
Reply 25
Original post by Alterigo

I got 80% on a piece of history coursework. It was 2000 words and included original research in primary sources and analysis. In total, I'd say it took about a minute per word to do (so, 33 hours) including the research, the reading, the thinking, and writing up.

dude you type SLOW
Original post by gradjobplease

Original post by gradjobplease
It was the highest mark of the year :confused:

Well done. But it's still applied metrics :tongue:
Original post by yoyo462001
Well done. But it's still applied metrics :tongue:

It's not coming down from the frame on my wall, so there :aetsch:
By the looks of this, high marks are much easier in science subjects. Same as A level in my opinion in that respect then! Plenty of people get in the high 90s in their maths A level, while the same can't be said for history.
I got an 85% once for an essay. Usually average 70-75% (english lit) but that essay I spent months on. Went through the author's private manuscripts with permission from his estate and still-alive wife (my supervisor had written a book on him) and archives that are in Cambridge. It pretty much consumed my life.
Reply 30
Original post by Aeschylus
I got an 85% once for an essay. Usually average 70-75% (english lit) but that essay I spent months on. Went through the author's private manuscripts with permission from his estate and still-alive wife (my supervisor had written a book on him) and archives that are in Cambridge. It pretty much consumed my life.

If you spent the same amount of time as you did on that, but on all your essays, do you think you could average 80%+ at graduation?
Original post by Struggle
If you spent the same amount of time as you did on that, but on all your essays, do you think you could average 80%+ at graduation?

Hell no I'd have no life and would burn out from stress pretty quickly. I'm not going to get a starred first (which my course offers) because I mucked up one module, which by complicated module rules means no first but my average is still 73 so I'm going to nail a first as well as I can (if I get 80% whoop de doo but mainly hoping to get funding for postgraduate right now)
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah, I got 80% on a philosophy essay.

Can't really advise you on how to do so, I was bewildered myself. But it is evidently possible (most people assume >70 on essays is near enough unheard of).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Struggle
I wanted to know if anybody has achieved more than 80% on any of their coursework or overall for their degree. I have read about University Grading via books and about the necessarily quality of a piece of coursework to achieve such a grade of 80-90% publishable standard. But I wanted confirmation from students as to whether this is true, and what they did to achieve such a grade For example, hours spent on a 2000 word essay, from the very beginning to the final minute (Including research).

I also wanted to know if there is anybody here who achieved 80% or more, and what advice could you give.

Thanks.

Absolutely never.

I know a handful of Mathematicians or Physicists who did, and a few other subjects where there are first year modules you can do that well on. Personally, I never achieved it. And if I do say so myself, after 3 years of doing at least one per week, I'm rather good at writing a 2000 word essay :p:
Reply 34
Tbh, I think say for engineering in Cambridge, people who do the best (perhaps top 10) would get 85% across the whole degree and including exams + coursework and also I guess the top 3 would be hitting the approximately 90% across the whole tripos - after moderation of marks!

The thought of this scares me as I am struggling to get >60%!
90 on a lab report and 81 for a group project (which I did most of the work for, lol). My degree is both science and essays though, and I've not got higher than 67 on an essay...having said that, I am definitely out of touch with my writing skills having not done anything essay-based since GCSEs. Going to keep trying though :smile:
Also, I seem to suck at exams.
Original post by LukethePianoMan
By the looks of this, high marks are much easier in science subjects. Same as A level in my opinion in that respect then! Plenty of people get in the high 90s in their maths A level, while the same can't be said for history.

Completely agree with this tbh. But also remember that science subjects are also much easier to fail than humanities. To be nerdy, the standard deviation of marks obtained in science subjects > humanities subjects.

:smartass:
By the way, the problem with marking in essay subjects is of course that it largely comes down to whichever tutor is marking your essay -- which is to say that it largely comes down to luck.

You'll find, for instance, tutors who are reluctant to give a first to pre-honours students - at risk of having them become complacent, or whatever - and also tutors who'll give more marks to pre-honours students for encouragement since they're new to university work.

A lot of the time you'll find an essay is marked based on the overall impression it gives to the tutor. So he'll read it and give it a grade based on, I guess, "gut feeling", for lack of a better expression. There isn't really a rigorous word-by-word marking scheme you can use for this kind of work. This is fine, really, but it does mean that an essay you get 73% on could've just as easily have gotten 69% if it had been read by a different tutor.

Such is life.
I got 84% for an essay on the nursing degree.
Reply 39
I got 80% on one essay, but it wasn't anything really great, I think it was just a nicely worded question and I liked the topic. I did like the essay though. I think sometimes it's hard to get very high marks in essays partly because of the word counts - the balance between including enough depth and having to cut down some information and choose the most relevant information to fit the word count.

I got 96% on one Stats assignment and 80% on an SPSS exam but again, they're easier because they're more 'closed' rather than being more subjective like essays are.

In my second year essay exams I got 2x 80% and one 90%, which I was very very happy with, especially considering that we'd only just found out my mum had cancer then, and in the one week I went back to uni for exams the police took me to hospital 3 times because I coped so badly. I think I did ok in those exams just because of the amount of revision I did though, I used revision as a way of avoiding what was going on at home! And being lucky with the questions maybe, the core textbooks were very helpful.

In essay exams I think there's a few things that can help, mainly just remembering the structure etc - a good intro/conclusion and 3-4 main points that you can expand on and evaluate well, just like you would in any other essay. And things like there's no point in trying to remember every reference and researcher, so just consciously revising the key names and then key pieces of research that you can include, or the key details rather than exact statistics and data. And quality over quantity too - if you write a great first half of an essay but then ramble on trying to include everything even if it's not completely relevant, it's going to balance out as a lower average compared to an essay which is shorter but includes just the good relevant information.

Latest

Trending

Trending