The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sure, wiser I'll grant you. Wise? I'll give that another 20 years.
Original post by Mandrake45
Sure, wiser I'll grant you. Wise? I'll give that another 20 years.

Oh goody, I've not got long to wait, then!
Oooooh page 100.:tongue:
Original post by ahpadt
My girlfriend who obviously knows the UK system very well, as she comes from there, and has been told about the Norwegian system by me, has told me that's quite similar to the way I said.

Basically it's easier to get an A in schools in the UK than it is to get a 6 in Norway. Seeing 6's on diplomas/certificates in Norway is quite rare - you see ridiculous amounts of A's on this forum. My total amount of 6's: 1.

The systems are so different that one should not compare the grades directly.

But if 6 is the top grade then the UK eqivalent would be the A* :indiff:

I don't care how well your girlfriend knows the UK system - she's wrong. A level grade boundaries are not determined using norm referencing.

And remember that TSR attracts high achievers and isn't representative of the UK student population, so you will see a disproportionate number of A grades.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1984
Hello, i have a couple of questions:

1) On results day, say if you get ABB and thus not get into your firm choice (AAB), would you automatically get into your insurance which offers grades ABB?

2) Most universities place their offer on 3 A level grades plus specific GCSE grades. Does this mean Unis place an offer based on your PREDICTED A2 grades, or do they look at your AS results first, then decide on whether you are suitable for the course?

It would be great if anyone could answer the above questions. Thank You.
Original post by forex

1) On results day, say if you get ABB and thus not get into your firm choice (AAB), would you automatically get into your insurance which offers grades ABB?

2) Most universities place their offer on 3 A level grades plus specific GCSE grades. Does this mean Unis place an offer based on your PREDICTED A2 grades, or do they look at your AS results first, then decide on whether you are suitable for the course?

1) Yes.

2) Though I've never seen a university make an offer based on GCSEs - I can tell you that they will look at both your predicted A2s AND your AS results. Also look at Personal Statement, and your interview performance (if you have interviews). Some will look at your GCSE results but they'd never make an offer for them (you've finished GCSEs, right? :s-smilie:)
if you have AS levels which your are going to retake modules for in yr 13, do you put them down as pending or something?
or must you put them as they are?
Reply 1987
Original post by medbh4805
But if 6 is the top grade then the UK eqivalent would be the A* :indiff:

I don't care how well your girlfriend knows the UK system - she's wrong. A level grade boundaries are not determined using norm referencing.

And remember that TSR attracts high achievers and isn't representative of the UK student population, so you will see a disproportionate number of A grades.

Yes, the 6 is usually in the high 90's when the examination is mark based, as for instance maths and science exams. The chemistry exam examinator who corrected my answer was very lenient about the 6 because of its sheer difficulty: 92 % or more = 6. Also, if some answer is of a really high level, it weighs up against lesser mistakes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by forex

1) Yes, if your firm choice decided not to take you - they may, even if you do not meet the offer, decide you are still worth a place.
2) You almost universally need English/Maths GCSE and occasionally X other subject(s) if that is what you mean. Depends on the university/person looking at your application; they definitely look at your predictions but will, of course, look at your academic history when deciding whether or not to give you an offer. What that offer is, should you get it, can be influenced by your predictions as well.
Original post by IamSerious
if you have AS levels which your are going to retake modules for in yr 13, do you put them down as pending or something?
or must you put them as they are?

You put them down as having been taken in year 12 with the grade and again with when you will receive the new mark with pending.
Can anyone tell me a rough conversion from grades to UMS points for university? (E.g. what grades equal 300)
Thank you :smile:
Original post by BeccaCath94

Can anyone tell me a rough conversion from grades to UMS points for university? (E.g. what grades equal 300)
Thank you :smile:

Original post by jameswhughes

Thank you!!!!
So do say you got 2As and a B, would you just add 100,100,120 then that'd be the tariff? :smile:
Also, if they specify say AAB, could you get other combinations that equal the same amount e.g. A*BC?
I'm applying for French for 2012. Will be 22 when I start. Anyone else?
I'm planning on doing another AS next year, do I put it as pending or just mention it in my PS?
Just looked at the 2012 tables and in 2011 Maths at Sheffiled was 22nd on a subject based league stnadings and now its 57th!!!!!!! :/ :/ Not happy!!!
Original post by swiftylol
I'm planning on doing another AS next year, do I put it as pending or just mention it in my PS?

Put it as pending. Get your referee to mention it.

Thank you!!!!
So do say you got 2As and a B, would you just add 100,100,120 then that'd be the tariff? :smile:
Also, if they specify say AAB, could you get other combinations that equal the same amount e.g. A*BC?

Yes, that would be the tariff. As for whether you would be accepted with slightly different combinations would depend on the situation, you would probably have to contact the university.

Just looked at the 2012 tables and in 2011 Maths at Sheffiled was 22nd on a subject based league stnadings and now its 57th!!!!!!! :/ :/ Not happy!!!

Don't worry about league tables, some (especially the Guardian) publish stuff which is really odd (e.g this year the say that Central Lancashire and Northumbria are better than Imperial College for maths! :lolwut:)

Gloucestershire 19th for English! I was thinking about applying there too as a back up.

So it seems my back up is higher placed in English than the other four I wanted to apply to.:s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending