The Student Room Group

Law BA & Investment Banking

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Junaid16

Original post by Junaid16
So, I don't think that makes a difference. You're predicted AAB, which is good but hardly exceptional anyway. Yeah It'll look good, until they see the university you attended, and realise you failed to make the most of your priviledged upbringing. Kingston really is below-par :yep:Doubt you'd make a good banker anyway, if you're reliant on others to succeed.

You try being in hospital for 6 months, joining your course in january and getting an AAB
Reply 21
Original post by Mr Chow

Original post by Mr Chow
LOL Brunel isn't much better :rofl: :rofl: You certainly demonstrated all the brains you have :wink: LOL always funny when a thicko questions if others are thick :rofl:

I find it part amusing and part ridiculous that you think the name of SCHOOL actually matters :rofl:

Going to a good independent school does not make you 'creme de la creme' you silly narrow minded low mentality girl.
Try top grades, top uni, 1st class honours/2.1, and many extra outstanding achievements outside of academia. That's the type of level you should be working at.

LOL there's nothing more I'd have loved to see than you justifying your ability to be good enough for IB by name dropping what school you did your GCSEs in :mmm:

As law applicants go you're not anywhere impressive, even if this 'mighty' Brunel accepted you :rolleyes: They're in the group of the easiest unis to get an offer for law.

You're just deluding yourself. Be pragmatic and stay realistic, you've applied to unis that are in the bottom half of unis in the country. Accept the real picture.

Honey your BORING come back with your own picture when you ready to stop being an internet warrior lmao.
and actually i did my A Levels there.. Umm yet again pretending you know me
Silly you! :tongue:
if you were in hospital you would have a lot of spare time. You should have used this spare time to revise.
Reply 23
Original post by Kangaroo_rampage

if you were in hospital you would have a lot of spare time. You should have used this spare time to revise.

Yeh when you're in a serious car crash revision is the first thing that comes to mind... LOL
Reply 24
Original post by JuicyFruityx
You try being in hospital for 6 months, joining your course in january and getting an AAB

Excuses. You going to put on your CV, I was in hospital, please take this into consideration. It's clearly not the best circumstances,but maybe you should have considered a gap year, because In the long run- as harsh as it seems no employeers will care.
LOL really because my dad's quite a top a barrister if i do decide to be a barrister he does have connections, i'm sure you know the rest of the story.

I kinda sympathised with you until you said this. It makes me sad that people like you can become barristers due to connections.

Mr Chow is 100% correct (even if he is going about it the wrong way). If you got AAB, why did you apply to Brunel and Kingston? :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26

Are you thick you could have read out you notes in hospital?

Yeh that was the first thing that comes to mind after being in a coma, nearly dying, having your spleen removed, breaking both your legs and one of your arms reading notes was for most on my to do list.
Reply 27
Original post by Doughnuts!!

Original post by Doughnuts!!
I kinda sympathised with you until you said this. It makes me sad that people like you can become barristers due to connections.

Mr Chow is 100% correct (even if he is going about it the wrong way). If you got AAB, why did you apply to Brunel and Kingston? :confused:

As i've said before i was hospital i had to PHONE around to get into university's because of my circumstances. Excuse me for not wanting to wait around on a gap year while the fees go up another 6 thousand pounds!
If you have genuine mitigating circumstances (and AAB is hardly terrible anyway) and you get a 1st at degree level you wouldn't be closed off entirely from the banking route. The ultimate question is have you got what it takes to do the job, but you've got another three years to figure that out.
Reply 29
Original post by MancStudent098

If you have genuine mitigating circumstances (and AAB is hardly terrible anyway) and you get a 1st at degree level you wouldn't be closed off entirely from the banking route. The ultimate question is have you got what it takes to do the job, but you've got another three years to figure that out.

Thanks for your legitimate answer.
Reply 30
Something here does not compute.

OP's dad is "a top barrister". I take that at face value.

So why:

- is OP reading BA Law?
- does OP refer to "taking the bar exam"?
- with ok grades has OP chosen Brunel and Kingston?

Even with patronage and nepotism, if indeed OP's dad is a "top barrister", it sounds like either he isn't giving her any advice, or she isn't listening to any advice, or he doesn't want her practicing law anytime soon or anywhere near him.

My mother was a florist. I wasn't interested much in flowers, but I can tell you that I knew the rudiments of how one becomes a florist and does all the nonsense with stuff like interflora. Similarly, if my father were a barrister, even if I were looking in another direction, I'm pretty sure I would know a bit more about being called to the bar than OP seems to demonstrate.

Anyway, she's just another of the hordes of ib-curious, so I really don't care.
(edited 12 years ago)
Tbh my advice would be to work hard to get AAA, take a gap year to build up skills & experience and reapply to actual good universities for an LLB not a BA. And even if nepotism will ultimately get you somewhere, at least you'll develop into a person of value during that time.

Mr Chow is acting like a complete troll but he's 100% right and 100% hilarious.

Original post by Clip

So why:

- is OP reading BA Law?

Even with patronage and nepotism, if indeed OP's dad is a "top barrister", it sounds like either he isn't giving her any advice, or she isn't listening to any advice, or he doesn't want her practicing law anytime soon or anywhere near him.

Ahaha!
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks for your legitimate answer.
No worries, if you have any general grad employment questions you're welcome to PM me.
Reply 33

Original post by Clip

So why:

- is OP reading BA Law?

First off all i'm not reading anything at the moment if YOU could read you'll be able to see that because of my circumstances I had to accept certain offers I probably would not have had too if i was apply to apply at the same time as everyone else. Secondly it is a Bar examination.
i came on here to get advice about moving into the banking sector so yet again if you have nothing of any substance to say and are going to question me about My dad (lool), which to be honest I couldn't really give a damn about since i haven't got to prove anything to you, then why bother commenting on the post...
Reply 34
Original post by Datbreh

Original post by Datbreh
But your dad's a top barrister though? l0l ******. Surely you could afford an extra £6k?

Lol ******, very classy.
Have you not thought that maybe i'd want him to not waste 18k when it could be a lot less expensive.
But then that's my dad's money to worry about not yours...

Find it very interesting that a few people on here obviously feel the need to throw around classless insults and yet want to act like they are the height of intellectualism, laughable.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Datbreh
But your dad's a top barrister though? l0l scumbag. Surely you could afford an extra £6k?

Beat me to it.
Lol scumbag, very classy.
Have you not thought that maybe i'd want him to waste 18k when it could be a lot less expensive.
But then that's my dad's money to worry about not yours...

Find it very interesting that a few people on here obviously feel the need to throw around classless insults and yet want to act like they are the height of intellectualism, laughable.

This is all very sad to be honest, although mr chow has a valid point, the fact you are not going to a target uni Dosen't mean that you won't break into an Ib BUT you have to have something special, for instance I am not going to a target uni but have landed a 3 week internship at a bank in the city and another week in fixed income sales. Tbh dropping in your minor public school was a bit of a joke, I go to a top public school however no banks are going to give a flying f.... About that.
Reply 37
No worries, if you have any general grad employment questions you're welcome to PM me.

Thanks for your help much appreciated :smile:
Reply 38
I know someone whose doing Comp Sci at Kingston and he's secured a Summer Internship with Citi in technology. Although it's back office, I'm not exactly sure what your preference is?

Make your CV stand out and you'd probably have to get involved in a quite a lot of EC's, but you may be able secure at least an Interview. I'm not exactly sure how far you'd get with a FO role..

Hope this helps.
Reply 39
Secondly it is a Bar examination.

You're the first person I have encountered that refers to it as such. I just find it odd that someone with half an eye on the bar, and a barrister as a father would use such terminology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending