The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tikkitak
Don't give up on this! Its surprising how quickly your fitness will increase.
Before last summer I had never done any exercise in my life. I absolutely hated it.

I didn't try this NHS thing, I literally just threw myself in there and made myself run 2k straight away, but after a few weeks it becomes so much easier.

Less than a year on and I'm now running 8km three times a week.
I want to get these a bit faster before I make the move to 10km :eek:.
I can't even imagine life without exercise now, I can't believe that I ever used to be such a couch potato!

Its hard work but you'll get there so much quicker than you realise! :smile:
Good luck!

They've done a "bridge to 10k" program too if that's any use for you? I wouldn't know... I've not even started with 5 yet!!!
Reply 101
Original post by whiskeyinthejar
downloading the app now, going to do week 1 day 1 tomorrow morning! i'm so not a running person, but maybe that's because i've always thrown myself in at the deep end and then complained when i'm dying after 5 mins :tongue:

really hope this gets me back into exercise, would love to lose some weight over the summer as i'm fed up of being fat! all your success stories are making me want to start now haha.

Good luck :smile: I probably would have quit doing any exercise if I wasn't doing C25K or posting on this thread, just trust the podcasts!

Original post by beffnee
I really want to do this. I first saw it a few years ago but never did it... Now, after the Freshers Fifteen has taken hold and I really want to lose some weight over the summer, I feel that I should combine it with actually getting fit. My fitness levels are currently disgusting, so it really is needed :/

Just not sure where to do it :/ I don't live near to countryside (within walking distance) so would have to do it on roads or in the park.
I feel like I need someone to do it with me to keep me motivated, but I'm embarrassed by my fitness levels.

All of your stories are motivational though!

You probably won't travel much ground in the first few weeks so you can probably just run around the streets if they are safe.
I tend to run in a direction for roughly half the podcast and then turn back, if I'm not sure where to go! :smile:
Maybe you can go it alone for the first 2 weeks, and then as you get a bit fitter someone can join you? Less embarrassing I guess. I go alone :biggrin:

Original post by linkdapink
I think I'll need to do this. I've got an app for my phone, with all the good intentions in the world! But then I started a new job, and about to move house... but I could use all the excuses in the world, and that still wont be able to cover the fact that I've put on a LOT of weight this year at Uni, and do so little exercise its unreal. I'm at work 8-5 tomorrow, so I'll get home at around 6, so I'll try my very very hardest to get my butt up and go running before it gets dark! I'll need a very very big motivator (other than weight loss)... anyone got one?!

The only thing I could find to movtivate me was me I'm afraid :frown:
Have tried to do something similar to this twice in the last 2 years, gave it up. Started a gym membership in 2008 - quit. Tried weightwatchers + exercise DVD's. That tapered out.
I just said to myself "this is the last time I give up" and made myself stick to this.
Four weeks in it's becoming a habit :smile:

Sometimes you just aren't in the right place for these things....but it sounds like you'll stick at it :smile:
Reply 102
So, I come home from uni and almost immediately get a cold. I guess since I haven't properly started, leaving it a couple of days won't make a difference. Really not feeling up to it today. :frown:
So I went out and overexerted myself two days ago, then I had the best night sleep that day. Woke up, went to uni to volunteer and dear lord... too much walking and standing up... so since my shins ache today I thought I'd give my body a rest.

I'll go tomorrow... this week was my buffer period to get used to running outside anyway.
I did it! So proud of myself, even though it's only day 1 :tongue: Not gonna lie though, the first couple of runs I thought I was dying! Usually that's when I give up, but I stuck it out and actually can't wait to go again :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by whiskeyinthejar
I did it! So proud of myself, even though it's only day 1 :tongue: Not gonna lie though, the first couple of runs I thought I was dying! Usually that's when I give up, but I stuck it out and actually can't wait to go again :smile:

Congratulations! :biggrin:
The second run is always a little harder than the first, so don't beat yourself up if you don't run as fast or you're more tired after it - but after that I can assure you it gets easier.
Keep up the good work :wink:
Reply 106
They've done a "bridge to 10k" program too if that's any use for you? I wouldn't know... I've not even started with 5 yet!!!

Ooo do they? I might have to look into that. I really need to get my shorter runs faster though. At the minute I'm only managing to do 10 minute miles and I want to be quicker! Will definately be checking that out though! :smile:
After all the good intentions yesterday, I'm not sure if I can manage it today. Been at work ALL day (since 8am) working on the sales. I've been running up and down the stairs to the stock rooms, and been working on changing rooms and its been incredibly stressful. I might still go though... still a long time til it gets dark!
Reply 108
Seems a bit too hot today. To run or not to run? **** it, Lets go bro!

If I don't reply within an hour, it's because I'm dead lying in the park.
Reply 109
Reply 110
After all the good intentions yesterday, I'm not sure if I can manage it today. Been at work ALL day (since 8am) working on the sales. I've been running up and down the stairs to the stock rooms, and been working on changing rooms and its been incredibly stressful. I might still go though... still a long time til it gets dark!

It's good for destressing you, I vote go :wink:

Original post by RedGuy

Spoiler

Congrats :biggrin:
Reply 111
Working nights really trashes up my running regimes :frown: I basically have no free time! At least I have the weekend off so I can get some good runs in then :biggrin: Has anyone else suffered in their exercise due to real life getting in the way? Do you just carry on from where you left off or did you notice yourself getting unfitter?
Original post by Athena21
It's good for destressing you, I vote go :wink:

That looked like 'distressing' and I was like, why would you suggest that! :zomg:

Went to Go Ape yesterday so spent a lot of time walking/running about, I guess that counts as a small C25k warmup! :tongue: This week was my 'warmup' to get used to running, next week I'll actually be starting the regime and following it religiously.

I did find running in the morning a pain in the arse, since you have no energy nor do you have food in your tummy which causes acid reflex and a very bad time running! :rolleyes:

I suppose I could do evening runs but I'm not sure how busy the park will be.
Reply 113
Ive got to about week 5 of this twice. Then i get a bad cold and cough and get too behind. I want to kick it off again but i have a cough now so dont want to get halfway through then collapse with a coughing fit.

How do others carry on with colds etc?
Okay, I'm going for a run today and I'm hoping it won't be too bad. Since I injured my hip I've done very little exercise, even though it's been better for a week or two :colondollar:
Reply 115
This thread has really motivated me! I'm going to start today :smile:
Reply 116
Original post by wanderlust.xx
That looked like 'distressing' and I was like, why would you suggest that! :zomg:

Went to Go Ape yesterday so spent a lot of time walking/running about, I guess that counts as a small C25k warmup! :tongue: This week was my 'warmup' to get used to running, next week I'll actually be starting the regime and following it religiously.

I did find running in the morning a pain in the arse, since you have no energy nor do you have food in your tummy which causes acid reflex and a very bad time running! :rolleyes:

I suppose I could do evening runs but I'm not sure how busy the park will be.

Ah Go Ape is brilliant! :ahee: I'm looking forward to cashing in my free voucher for there. Apparently after 2 goes they give you a free one :biggrin:

As for the no food, I tend to have a fruit smoothie or a chocolate milkshake (usually a slim-fast one as it's an actual meal replacement) before I run in the morning. If it's the slimfast then I'll have half before and half after - find that it really helps stop the hunger, and it's not too heavy in your stomach :smile:
Reply 117
Original post by Robbolo
Working nights really trashes up my running regimes :frown: I basically have no free time! At least I have the weekend off so I can get some good runs in then :biggrin: Has anyone else suffered in their exercise due to real life getting in the way? Do you just carry on from where you left off or did you notice yourself getting unfitter?

Aww that sucks :frown: I'm afraid I don't have any insights for you, hopefully someone else will have :smile:

Original post by woofums
Ive got to about week 5 of this twice. Then i get a bad cold and cough and get too behind. I want to kick it off again but i have a cough now so dont want to get halfway through then collapse with a coughing fit.

How do others carry on with colds etc?

Having started in the middle of summer, I've been very lucky in that I've not had to run ill.
My boyfriend, however, suffers from really bad hayfever and has cold like symptoms all the time - you might find that going for a run outside will clear out your airways/make you feel better? :dontknow:

Original post by 257532
This thread has really motivated me! I'm going to start today :smile:

Good luck! :biggrin:

Original post by Aemiliana
Okay, I'm going for a run today and I'm hoping it won't be too bad. Since I injured my hip I've done very little exercise, even though it's been better for a week or two :colondollar:

Hope it goes okay :smile:

Was meant to run this morning, but got home late (midnight) last night, so will be running when I get home from work at 5.30 :smile:
Reply 118
Completed Week 4 last night! :biggrin: Woo :smile:
Was hard, but I covered 2.6miles, which is 4k!
So only 1k off doing my race for life.

Can't believe I've got this far, I still feel like I'm not running fast enough or that I'm really unfit!
Week 5 begins on wednesday! :biggrin:
Just started week 7, which is 3x25 minute runs.

Made a good start by increasing my speed by 0.5mph, so I'm now running at just under 10 minutes per mile :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest