The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ronove
Promenade, yeah. I live right by the beach and would never dream of trying to run along it. :p:

Whaa, why? Along the sand or just generally?
Reply 1181
Original post by fishfan01
Whaa, why? Along the sand or just generally?

The sand. I regularly run along the promenade or the 'front' (the road nearest). It's a nightmare in the evening, though. As soon as the sun starts to sink, clouds of flies gather at every bush near the beach and the lake by it. And all around the path that follows the coast between the two. Never trying that one again - I had to turn around and get the hell out of there before swallowing a load of insects.
Starting Week 7 tomorrow. Body still a tad bit sore from Jitsu last time, but hopefully I'll be fine :yep:
Original post by Ronove
The sand. I regularly run along the promenade or the 'front' (the road nearest). It's a nightmare in the evening, though. As soon as the sun starts to sink, clouds of flies gather at every bush near the beach and the lake by it. And all around the path that follows the coast between the two. Never trying that one again - I had to turn around and get the hell out of there before swallowing a load of insects.

Ahh, that's cool then :biggrin: Flies aside, it sounds like you have some really nice places to run!

I wish I could run there regularly, but it takes about 20 minutes to get there in the car, and that just takes time that I don't always have.

Though I hope it'll be worth it because I am stuck to country roads and really only one route because it's a pretty complicated network of roads, and there are loads of flies around atm and people always nearly running me over and absolutely loads of hills. Always somehow coming right up when Laura's asking me if I'm feeling ready for my next run. No, Laura, I am not. But I suppose it makes it all the more challenging, which is good. I suppose.
so i went today and i took the advice of doing w4 again, but i did the first interval and though i could go on and i ended up doing w5d2 instead of w4d1?! i am so shocked but happy with myself for doing it. 8D

buuuut now i'm worried because i reeeally don't think i'd be able to do w5d3 the next time...
Reply 1185
Just did W6D2 in the pouring rain. Could barely keep my eyes open for the rain going in them. No more walking intervals for me!! :eek3:
Finished W3R3 today!! :biggrin: Felt up to it, so instead of 3 minute running periods, I did 4 minutes. I feel very prepared for week 4 :biggrin:

Also, I just realised I can finish C25K by the time my boyfriend comes to visit - WE CAN GO RUNNING TOGETHER!!! :love:
(edited 11 years ago)
Been running for 6 weeks now, and it's improving - can do 10 minutes running, walk, and then usually 2 smaller running intervals. It's such a stark contrast to not even being able to run down the end of your road! Flew to Moscow yesterday and went for a run in our area - loads of flat blocks, random paths and a forest. Got chased by a small dog and smelt smoke for half of the forest run, funtimes! Just a shame that doing exercise + eating less = gain 2kg :curious:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1188
Just did W6D3. Kinda naughty cos I did W6D2 yesterday and I think it made a difference. I ran 25 mins about a week ago and it wasn't this unpleasant.

I think I left too long after eating or at least drinking, and I kinda needed to pee before I started but didn't realise until it was too late to find a loo (got dropped off somewhere on the way back from visiting family friends with the idea of running home, but didn't use the loo at the friends' place...). It was also harder this time because my recent runs have made me go faster and I'm awful at slowing down now. I also think my inhaler is rapidly running out.

Still, I made it! 25 mins. :biggrin:

Edit: Wooooah. Just checked my Garmin records. The first 25 mins I did were apparently at an avg pace of 9:08 min/km (not entirely accurate since I forgot to stop the timer for a couple of minutes in the walking at the end) and the 25 mins I did today were at an avg pace of 7:22 min/km. Going slowly feels so... slow now!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1189
Starting this today hopefully.

I've been meaning to start for so long but I hate running alone and I've told loads of my friends about the plan and they all act enthusiastic wanting to get fit and lose weight, but when it comes down to actually leaving the house and putting those running shoes on they all shy away which is annoying. :angry: They don't want to commit to it.

I'm sick of asking people to go with me so I'm going to start whether or not someone comes along. I'm just a bit nervous as to where to go since all the parks I live near are dominated by very intimidating runners who are pros.
Original post by txo

I've been meaning to start for so long but I hate running alone and I've told loads of my friends about the plan and they all act enthusiastic wanting to get fit and lose weight, but when it comes down to actually leaving the house and putting those running shoes on they all shy away which is annoying. :angry: They don't want to commit to it.

I'm sick of asking people to go with me so I'm going to start whether or not someone comes along. I'm just a bit nervous as to where to go since all the parks I live near are dominated by very intimidating runners who are pros.

I know it can be intimidating at first, but trust me they all started somewhere basic. I would not let people not coming with you put you off, I find that it's easier to do it without anyone as Laura is on the pod cast. Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by Marsha2112
Been running for 6 weeks now, and it's improving - can do 10 minutes running, walk, and then usually 2 smaller running intervals. It's such a stark contrast to not even being able to run down the end of your road! Flew to Moscow yesterday and went for a run in our area - loads of flat blocks, random paths and a forest. Got chased by a small dog and smelt smoke for half of the forest run, funtimes! Just a shame that doing exercise + eating less = gain 2kg :curious:

I feel like I gained weight as well. :frown: Even though I know it's muscle weight but my thighs look bigger, which I don't really like. I'm hoping as I run for longer times, my legs will start to tone up and look slimmer again.

Original post by txo

Good luck! Update us with how your run goes!

W5R1 done, wow. I almost couldn't complete the last 5 minute run because I started getting a stitch right at the beginning of it. I managed it, so happy now. :biggrin:
Original post by txo

Firstly, do it on your own - I've always seen running as an individual sport, as you run at your own speed with music and stop when you feel you need to. Someone else's needs could be totally different, and you don't want to be hurried or held back.

Secondly, don't worry about what other people think. Even if they're pros and you're panting and walking, they probably started out like that too - and they can't look down on you for doing exercise, however bad you may be at it! You're better attempting to run than sitting on your ass eating cake. When I started I went at unsociable hours to lessen the chance of being seen :p:
W5R1 done! :biggrin: The first 5 minutes was quite hard, but by the last one, I felt like I could have kept going for a bit longer :biggrin: Friday's still seeming rather unrealistic, but what Laura says goes! I'm really looking forward to being able to run without breaks, so that my friends can stop telling me I don't really run (it's all friendly though :smile:), I run-walk :L
Though, I am really appreciating those walks atm :redface:
I've kindof abandoned Laura now that I'm not having walking breaks; I want to listen to my own music!

Today's run was terrible, though. Don't know why I was so tired, but I kept having to stop and walk. :frown: Did manage to run up the hill towards the end, though!

Gonna get a good night sleep, have a good breakfast and try again tomorrow.
Reply 1195
Started this a while back but gave up after Week 1 due to a niggling injury and a lack of motivation but seeing as I have a lot of spare time and have gained too much weight at Uni I'm going to pick this up again and get myself fit.

I felt rather demotivated though as I found myself struggling with Week 1! I used to be quite fit and never reall got out of breath doing exercise so you can see why it was quite disheartening! I think my problem was that I was running to quickly, what sort of pace do you lot run at? Was your Week 1 pace a lot slower than what you run now?
Reply 1196
Original post by Dorito
Started this a while back but gave up after Week 1 due to a niggling injury and a lack of motivation but seeing as I have a lot of spare time and have gained too much weight at Uni I'm going to pick this up again and get myself fit.

I felt rather demotivated though as I found myself struggling with Week 1! I used to be quite fit and never reall got out of breath doing exercise so you can see why it was quite disheartening! I think my problem was that I was running to quickly, what sort of pace do you lot run at? Was your Week 1 pace a lot slower than what you run now?

To quote someone on the C25K Reddit:

If you think you're going too fast, slow down.

If you think you're going too slow, slow down.

There's also a very good post by someone about being winded and how beginners should run at a pace that is slow enough for them to not feel winded at all if possible.
Reply 1197
Original post by Ronove
To quote someone on the C25K Reddit:

If you think you're going too fast, slow down.

If you think you're going too slow, slow down.

There's also a very good post by someone about being winded and how beginners should run at a pace that is slow enough for them to not feel winded at all if possible.

Yeah, think I was in the mentality of ''I used to be able to do this really easily'' so I bolted off and didn't recover enough during the walks and so the runs were a bit of a mess! I'll slow myself down and accept that I'm not gonna get fit overnight.
I got three acne spots yesterday. Running really cleared up the pores on my skin though! I never have gotten acne spots before. Ever. So I think it's because of running that I got them. I've been eating the same, healthy foods. I just hope they'll clear up soonnnn!
Original post by paperstars
I got three acne spots yesterday. Running really cleared up the pores on my skin though! I never have gotten acne spots before. Ever. So I think it's because of running that I got them. I've been eating the same, healthy foods. I just hope they'll clear up soonnnn!

I've actually found that my skin has improved since I've been running! Sweat is a natural cleanser, so it's really good for cleaning out pores and stuff, as long as you wash afterwards with a gentle soap/face wash/whatever.

Though it might also be that I have been drinking a lot more water lately, too!

Don't know if I'm going to be able to run today. Two of my pets are sick/injured; feels like I'm living in animal hospital at the moment!

Quick Reply

Latest