The Student Room Group

Car Insurance Fronting- Adding yourself as named driver to lower insurance?!

I'm 21 and male..having insurance on my car as a sole driver would cost a lot to me...so basically (in a way!) I put my dad as first/main driver and myself as the second/named driver...BUT I didn't say who is the main driver or who is the named driver...the car insurance basically asked how many miles will each driver be driving...I put my dad's as 1000 and mine as 4000 ....so I have been honest....do you think this will be a problem?

I'm sure this is not fronting, as no where in the insurance form I have put as who's main and who's named driver ...so this isn't 'fronting' is it?

my insurance with me being a main driver and dad as additional/named driver came as £1225 whereas having my dad as main driver and me as named driver brought it down to £551 !!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1

Pharrell thinks its cool so your good.
Reply 2
Original post by hi2all
I'm 21 and male..having insurance on my car as a sole driver would cost a lot to me...so basically I put my dad as first/main driver and myself as the second/named driver...BUT I didn't say who is the main driver or who is the named driver...the car insurance basically asked how many miles will each driver be driving...I put my dad's as 1000 and mine as 4000 ....so I have been honest....do you think this will be a problem?

I'm sure this is not fronting, as no where in the insurance form I have put as who's main and who's named driver ...so this isn't 'fronting' is it?

my insurance with me being a main driver and dad as additional/named driver came as £1225 whereas having my dad as main driver and me as named driver brought it down to £551 !!

I thought you said you did put your dad as the main driver?
Reply 3
Original post by misst911
I thought you said you did put your dad as the main driver?

lol made that changes now :smile:
Reply 4
and thanks to the person who gave me a 'neg' for asking a question, how mature!
I don't see anything wrong with that. I'll probably do the same if I ever need a car.
Reply 6
Original post by hi2all
lol made that changes now :smile:

Okay :wink:

""Fronting" occurs when a young person has a car in their own name, but the insurer is falsely told that a parent is the main driver." (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/7052569.stm)

I would say it is fronting, since you're saying your dad is the main driver of a car owned in your name. Unfortunately :frown:

Not worth the risk; as the article above says, you will be treated as if you have been uninsured - therefore no claims and points on your licence plus a fine if caught.
Original post by hi2all
I'm 21 and male..having insurance on my car as a sole driver would cost a lot to me...so basically (in a way!) I put my dad as first/main driver and myself as the second/named driver...BUT I didn't say who is the main driver or who is the named driver...the car insurance basically asked how many miles will each driver be driving...I put my dad's as 1000 and mine as 4000 ....so I have been honest....do you think this will be a problem?

How did you put down your dad as the main/first driver if they didn't ask?

If you just put yourself as 2 seperate drivers with you driving 4* the mileage then you should be fine but if you put him as the main driver then it's not.

Easiest thing to do would be to just ring them up and ask and make sure they have you as the main driver.

More information about fronting in the link below...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=31018941&postcount=2
Reply 8
It's pretty simple. If you drive the car more, then you have to be the main driver. If it's your dad, it has to be him. Otherwise the insurance company will find out out, believe me. Some insurance companies now automatically make the youngest driver the main driver at policy inception. Also, generally speaking, the car has to be registered in the name of whoever is the main driver, otherwise the insurance could be void.
Its not fronting because you secured the car on father’s name and you are not faking it. and i think car should be register on the name of main driver.
It is indeed Fronting, if you're going to drive more miles than your dad then you are the main driver and should put yourself as the main driver.
Reply 11
By definition the main driver is the person whose name the policy is in. However, the insurance company have allowed this when you've said that you'll be doing the most miles, so really it's their mistake if you're accused of anything, but you might have a hard time getting them to admit that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending