The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2013 hopefuls! (again, early...)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amy7
So I may have a job [finally!] at a cattery :biggrin: Only 3 hours a week, but if they like me, who knows?

Awwww kittens! When I was at the vets they had baby Guinea Pigs, bless them. Calves still take the biscuit for cutest baby animals though :love:

I have worked at a cattery for 2 years, one of my favourite placements :smile:
Oh and I found out that the animal charity can't take me because of insurance :frown:
Reply 582
good to see the calves are still the cutest, Amy. I might have been gone for a few weeks but things havent changed on this thread :wink:
Just found myself a placement with a stables for half term but I'm really struggling to find a vets work placement. They all keep telling me the same things when I phone or visit: "Sorry but our insurance just doesn't allow it" and "We simply don't have enough room to accommodate you!" I'm running out of places to phone up :frown:
Reply 584
Original post by Leigh303
good to see the calves are still the cutest, Amy. I might have been gone for a few weeks but things havent changed on this thread :wink:

Ohhh yes. Even though my dairy placement finished a fair few weeks ago I still hold a flame for those lovely calves :wink: :moo:
If my life fails I might just become a lonely calf lady, and have a house full of calves... until they get too big and then they'll have to go onto better things. I'll just be like Susan Boyle, but with calves instead. Yay. Maybe I'll spend so much time with them I'll actually end up morphing into a calf.

Don't you just want one?

Onto more sensible things, one year until applying people! One yeaaaaaarr :eek3:
Original post by Skeetlebug
Just found myself a placement with a stables for half term but I'm really struggling to find a vets work placement. They all keep telling me the same things when I phone or visit: "Sorry but our insurance just doesn't allow it" and "We simply don't have enough room to accommodate you!" I'm running out of places to phone up :frown:

If you can travel into London I can recommend the place I did work experience at. I got to get really involved and they genuinely like having work experience students around, plus the vet is fantastic. PM me if you want the name.
Reply 586
Original post by Amy7
Ohhh yes. Even though my dairy placement finished a fair few weeks ago I still hold a flame for those lovely calves :wink: :moo:
If my life fails I might just become a lonely calf lady, and have a house full of calves... until they get too big and then they'll have to go onto better things. I'll just be like Susan Boyle, but with calves instead. Yay. Maybe I'll spend so much time with them I'll actually end up morphing into a calf.

Don't you just want one?

Onto more sensible things, one year until applying people! One yeaaaaaarr :eek3:

oasdabceuvciowq CALVES :love:

I might join you on that. screw cats... calves are where its at.
we can start a new stereotype of crazy old calf ladies. see who morphs first :L

seriously though I should start a calf sanctuary.

anyway. AHHHHH 1 year thanks for reminding :s-smilie:
foals is cuter...

Noooo Tortoises are the cutest:
Treacle:

Tamba:
Reply 589
to do veterinary what a levels do you need to take?? I’ve looked at one uni where it said it was compulsory to take chem and another science with that and then also maths? is that the same with all the unis. Any help would be great :smile:
Anyone here going on the Vet-Medlink course next April? I'm thinking about it, but it depends when my lambing placement is going to be since it's in April.
Original post by MediterraneanX
If you can travel into London I can recommend the place I did work experience at. I got to get really involved and they genuinely like having work experience students around, plus the vet is fantastic. PM me if you want the name.

Aww thankyou so much for your help, but I don't think I can get to London very easily. The cattery I work at said they might put in a good word for me at a vets a couple of miles away, it will be a long bus journey but if I get it, it would be so worth it! :wink: :colondollar:
Foals, tortoises and calves are all adorable but I love the cats I look after in the cattery. (If being a vet doesn't work out for me, I'll just be the local crazy cat lady) :wink:

IMG00570-20110910-1159.jpg
Reply 593
Original post by RaHiNa
to do veterinary what a levels do you need to take?? I’ve looked at one uni where it said it was compulsory to take chem and another science with that and then also maths? is that the same with all the unis. Any help would be great :smile:

Chemistry and biology for most of the unis :smile:
Cambridge wants chemistry biology and maths/physics.
Reply 594
Original post by alizasauras
Noooo Tortoises are the cutest:
Treacle:

Tamba:

Do tortoises squeal? Or make cute noises? Haha, just showing my lack of knowledge here! But they are pretty adorable.

On the calf thing though, if I had a sanctuary I'd make sure they got proper fresh creamy milk daily, not the unnaturally yellow, bubbly powder stuck. I mean my house would probably smell of mouldy milk from the mess the calves make but it would be so worth it :biggrin:

:moo:
Original post by Amy7
Do tortoises squeal? Or make cute noises? Haha, just showing my lack of knowledge here! But they are pretty adorable.

On the calf thing though, if I had a sanctuary I'd make sure they got proper fresh creamy milk daily, not the unnaturally yellow, bubbly powder stuck. I mean my house would probably smell of mouldy milk from the mess the calves make but it would be so worth it :biggrin:

:moo:

Ahaha, yeah they do aqueak occasionally, it is normally if they get frightened or in the bath. It's just a big intake of breath really.

We had a calf when I worked on the farm, But he left to become a stud :'( At least it wasn't for steak I guess. Calves are pretty cute, I think it's the eyelashes
Reply 596
Original post by alizasauras
Ahaha, yeah they do aqueak occasionally, it is normally if they get frightened or in the bath. It's just a big intake of breath really.

We had a calf when I worked on the farm, But he left to become a stud :'( At least it wasn't for steak I guess. Calves are pretty cute, I think it's the eyelashes

Ahhhh, squeaking tortoises just sounds mega adorable, bless'ums :cute:
Original post by Skeetlebug

Where in Essex are you? Might be able to help :smile:
Original post by MediterraneanX

Would you mind giving me the name??? Not having much luck getting placements and I can travel into most parts of London.
Reply 599
foals are cute I concede.... but still.

haha but amy you will need your own herd of actual cows then too, and then milk them! your life will truly be devoted to cows...

vet med-link wise I'm thinking about it but cost + lambing time = maybe not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending