The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2013 hopefuls! (again, early...)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Amy7
Ahh well, I'll aim for two weeks, need another week of vet anyway so possible a mixed practice.
Chickens are funny little creatures :smile:

Yeah, I'll aim for two aswell.. And minimum two weeks small animal practice. Still need to get lambing and dairy, but I'm having troubles finding farms :frown:
Original post by itsjordan
Oooooooh, did you go to that Zoo Academy at ZSL London Zoo? I'm only asking because they do a zoo academy there that runs for eight days :P It sounds really cool, and I'm thinking about going..

What A-level subjects are you taking? It might say it in your signiature, but I didn't check before I wrote this so yeah... :P

Yes I did, it was brilliant! Although it was costly I think it is worth it as you get lots of hands on experience (although there is a lot of cleaning) you get to see parts of the zoo you don't normally and the people running the course were so lovely!

I am doing: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature :smile:
Reply 782
Original post by alizasauras
Yes I did, it was brilliant! Although it was costly I think it is worth it as you get lots of hands on experience (although there is a lot of cleaning) you get to see parts of the zoo you don't normally and the people running the course were so lovely!

I am doing: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature :smile:

Yeah, it's pretty costly but I really want to do it - if I have all the basic work experience done. How many other people are there approx. in the group?

I do chemistry and bio (: Chemistry isn't that bad so far, but it's bound to get tougher I'm thinking :P
Reply 783
Yeah, I thought it was a bit weird, but it definitely says Large-animal veterinary practice :/ But university websites don't say it so maybe it was a misprint? :confused: Haha I don't know - hopefully it's not true..

Haha I love chickens, I couldn't find any farm animal veterinary practices so I just went with Equine :P

I can safely safe that more than half the people I know currently studying veterinary medicine did not have three weeks at a large animal practise, majority only have one with some having two and a few people not having any. But treat it as the more you have the better as well as variety (eg if you are gonna do four weeks large animal vets do at least two different practises as will look better) :smile:
my simple work experience rule:
more = better :biggrin:
Reply 784
Original post by Toni42
I can safely safe that more than half the people I know currently studying veterinary medicine did not have three weeks at a large animal practise, majority only have one with some having two and a few people not having any. But treat it as the more you have the better as well as variety (eg if you are gonna do four weeks large animal vets do at least two different practises as will look better) :smile:
my simple work experience rule:
more = better :biggrin:

Haha, thanks for clearing that up (: I'll still try get two weeks though *crosses fingers*
Reply 785
Yeah, I'll aim for two aswell.. And minimum two weeks small animal practice. Still need to get lambing and dairy, but I'm having troubles finding farms :frown:

The farm stuff is quite tricky, I found a local dairy farm and went for a week. But only did about 3 hours each day as they had crops too.
But need to get the lambing sorted for next year, hopefully fitting in two weeks but it all depends when they lamb and if they coincide with my holidays!
Yeah, it's pretty costly but I really want to do it - if I have all the basic work experience done. How many other people are there approx. in the group?

I do chemistry and bio (: Chemistry isn't that bad so far, but it's bound to get tougher I'm thinking :P

Urm let me think... I think there were 12 of us in total, we're all friends on facebook now! There are 2 zoo staff with you each day too.

Believe me chemistry will get a whole lot harder
Reply 788
Original post by Imlovingmyradio

Oh deep joy :lol:
Reply 789

Original post by Amy7
Oh deep joy :lol:

What Amy said... :tongue:
What Amy said... :tongue:

some of its good fun though ...may seem nerdy but its true..sort of
Does anyone by any chance have any work experience contacts in Manchester or around Manchester? :smile:

Oo and things are looking up even more; got a place on a farm and going to see them tomorrow for an interview, yay :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Yaaay! Just received my vetquest ticket, I was really worried it would never come. :biggrin:

I'm working in a stables for the half term, every single muscle in my body is aching but I love it with the horses. Need to arrange some lambing though, shame there aren't any sheep in my area. Looks like I might be staying in a B&B :wink:
Reply 793
some of its good fun though ...may seem nerdy but its true..sort of

To be honest, I've finished my whole Chem AS course now and it's not that bad! I haven't found it impossible and have understood most of it! :smile:
Everyone will be just fine!
Reply 794
Original post by Amy7
To be honest, I've finished my whole Chem AS course now and it's not that bad! I haven't found it impossible and have understood most of it! :smile:

Are you doing Edexcel chemistry? Or is anyone doing edexcel chemistry?

Our school gave us the chemistry textbook from the exam board and the george facer one... and when I revise I used the one from the exam board, but apparently it doesn't go into a lot of detail... but so far I like it, however I don't know which one I should use to revise now :P
Original post by Amy7

If I need help I know who to turn to! :wink:
Original post by Amy7

Yeah if you study you'll be grand :smile: my isa brought my grade down my teacher gave me an E for it but I'd 2 a's in the modules all i need do is get i think 4 more marks to get a overall. I do aqa its a bitch
Reply 797
Are you doing Edexcel chemistry? Or is anyone doing edexcel chemistry?

Our school gave us the chemistry textbook from the exam board and the george facer one... and when I revise I used the one from the exam board, but apparently it doesn't go into a lot of detail... but so far I like it, however I don't know which one I should use to revise now :P

Yes I am :smile:
Edexcel chemistry fo AS? Graham Hill and Andrew Hunt.
I really like it, yes it's not a lot of detail, but it's good for practice questions and basics e.t.c. But I can't find the answers! Some are on the website thingy, but some of them aren't :/ But pointless really!
It is good though, like the way it's split up into little sections and has periodic test yourself questions, they're a little bit repetitive, but then it gets you used to it.
I was going to invest in a better one, I did for Physics, but I haven't had a problem, maybe for A2 I'll consider it.
Reply 798
Original post by Amy7
Yes I am :smile:
Edexcel chemistry fo AS? Graham Hill and Andrew Hunt.
I really like it, yes it's not a lot of detail, but it's good for practice questions and basics e.t.c. But I can't find the answers! Some are on the website thingy, but some of them aren't :/ But pointless really!
It is good though, like the way it's split up into little sections and has periodic test yourself questions, they're a little bit repetitive, but then it gets you used to it.
I was going to invest in a better one, I did for Physics, but I haven't had a problem, maybe for A2 I'll consider it.

Oh we use these books: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Chemistry-Student-Level-Sciences/dp/1405896353/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1319662930&sr=8-6

&

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Chemistry-George-Facer/dp/0340957603/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1319662930&sr=8-5

The George Facer book has looooads of worked examples and it goes into so much detail, but I find it hard to follow, so I'm currently revising with the other book, but that doesn't go into enough detail haha - So I'm trying to combine them both - but I use mostly the blue one for revision...
Reply 799
Farm vet week done :woo:
Learn loads and had a really interesting week! Turns out the vets wasn't quite what I expected from their webpage which was a bit out of date, but I managed to get really involved even if there was a lot of quiet moments, on the bright side I got loads of revision done!

So yay for sticking my hands up multiple rear ends of cows :moo: yay for getting covered in poopity poop and yay for stinking of chickens and guts! :party:
Enjoyed it though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending