The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2013 hopefuls! (again, early...)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by jordanelouise
They accept all work experience up till December 31st! They do also have additional spaces for planned work experience but you have to state a reason of why you have not done it any sooner and they seem to only except it in exceptional circumstances. They do send out a questionnaire if you make it past the grades stage which near enough everyone does! I'm not to sure when i got sent mine but i'm sure it was the end of November!

Hope this helps! :smile:

Thank you very much!!! It helps a lot!!! That's good, even more time to bulk it up :smile:
Original post by kalouki10
I am 18 though =( i hate health and safety! at least now on work experience i'm allowed in the room when x-rays are taking place =)

oh right, wow that's strange, loads don't replym you could always go in person? it's always harder to refuse then! or if you know any farmers you could ask them to ask for you if they know anyone?
Original post by RosieH7
oh right, wow that's strange, loads don't replym you could always go in person? it's always harder to refuse then! or if you know any farmers you could ask them to ask for you if they know anyone?

That's a really good idea! I will definitely ask the farmers i know =) hopefully this time i will be a little more successful ^.^
Argh finding it literatly impossible to revise today as the stupid neighbours have a bouncy castle and playing music full black for their kids birthday :angry: and they probably wont stop screaming and shouting until about 10pm

Can't actually wait until college tomorrow so I can get some revision done
Reply 1784
Original post by beccac94
Argh finding it literatly impossible to revise today as the stupid neighbours have a bouncy castle and playing music full black for their kids birthday :angry: and they probably wont stop screaming and shouting until about 10pm

Can't actually wait until college tomorrow so I can get some revision done

Oh no, that's so annoying :frown: Would suggest you go to the library or something, but it's a Sunday :/

Has anyone read/bought the 'Vet School-my foot in the door' book. Written by the guy from Bristol uni? Wondering whether it's a worthwhile thing to buy, as the library don't have it I'll have to buy it. Thinking it may be useful for personal statement writing and it seems really up to date.
Just wondering what you all think?
http://www.myfootinthedoor.co.uk/catalogue_main.php?catID=2879
Reply 1785
Original post by BeHappy
Oh no, that's so annoying :frown: Would suggest you go to the library or something, but it's a Sunday :/

Has anyone read/bought the 'Vet School-my foot in the door' book. Written by the guy from Bristol uni? Wondering whether it's a worthwhile thing to buy, as the library don't have it I'll have to buy it. Thinking it may be useful for personal statement writing and it seems really up to date.

I bought that book from Chris himself at the Vet Medlink conference in 2010. It was very useful and you're right - it is very up-to-date and written in a friendly style. I applied for 2012 entry and was interviewed at Edinburgh, RVC and Nottingham, and have offers at Edinburgh and RVC. I definitely think the book helped me in my interview practice and the work experience section is also very good. Highly recommended.
Hi
Quick question, can you use your own horses as stables work ex or should i get some from a riding school or something?
Also any chance anyone knows any LA vets near birmingham or the west midlands as i am DESPERATE and no body will take me...
thanks
Original post by EmilyKennedy
Hi
Quick question, can you use your own horses as stables work ex or should i get some from a riding school or something?
Also any chance anyone knows any LA vets near birmingham or the west midlands as i am DESPERATE and no body will take me...
thanks

Your own animals don't count as w/e; sorry!!

I have my own animals and couldn't put any of it down as w/e :angry:

----------

Guys if you need any help/ advice, I have 3 offers for Vet Med from RVC, Bristol and Notts; if there's anything I can do to help, feel free to ask :biggrin:

Edit: It looks as if beccac94, Cetacea and jordanelouise are doing this already pretty damn well already (advising people) :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1788
Hello everyone!
I'm Rachel, I'm also a 2013 hopeful. Planning to apply to Notts, Cambridge, Edinburgh and then either Bristol or RVC. Although hopefully not the latter, can't wait to get out of this city!

Is anyone else struggling to decide which AS to drop next year? I'm currently taking Bio, Chem, Maths and English Lit/Lang. It all depends on grades but right now I'm planning to keep all four and see how it goes in the first few weeks... I'm good at maths so it makes no sense to drop it, but I love English way too much. We have baking competitions! :biggrin:

Anyhow, best of luck for your exams everybody!
Reply 1789
Original post by BeHappy

I used the 'Getting into Veterinary School' Book to help me get in this year :smile:
It has interview tips, key topics (Tb and all those) interview questions, sample personal statements, work experience requirements etc. I found it very helpful.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Getting-Veterinary-School-James-Barton/dp/1844553906/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337540211&sr=8-1
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kysa
Hello everyone!
I'm Rachel, I'm also a 2013 hopeful. Planning to apply to Notts, Cambridge, Edinburgh and then either Bristol or RVC. Although hopefully not the latter, can't wait to get out of this city!

Is anyone else struggling to decide which AS to drop next year? I'm currently taking Bio, Chem, Maths and English Lit/Lang. It all depends on grades but right now I'm planning to keep all four and see how it goes in the first few weeks... I'm good at maths so it makes no sense to drop it, but I love English way too much. We have baking competitions! :biggrin:

Heyy :smile:
I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge, Edinburgh, Bristol and probably Notts and I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Lit. I'm also going to take up the extended project after my exams.

I love English too, our lessons are so much fun and my teacher's amazing :') but I'm thinking of dropping it because Cambridge is definately my first choice and they want bio, chem and either physics or maths :erm:

But then I really don't like physics and I'm not doing very well in it :frown: so then I think what if I don't get the grade in physics, but maybe I could have got it in English...but then I'd have to forget Cambridge and I don't want to do that! I went to VetCam there and my uncle's shown me around a few times.. it's just amazing! :redface:

Sorry for the essay...I just don't know what to drop either! Hope your exams are going well too :smile:
Reply 1791
Original post by ellehamilton
Heyy :smile:
I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge, Edinburgh, Bristol and probably Notts and I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Lit. I'm also going to take up the extended project after my exams.

I love English too, our lessons are so much fun and my teacher's amazing :') but I'm thinking of dropping it because Cambridge is definately my first choice and they want bio, chem and either physics or maths :erm:

But then I really don't like physics and I'm not doing very well in it :frown: so then I think what if I don't get the grade in physics, but maybe I could have got it in English...but then I'd have to forget Cambridge and I don't want to do that! I went to VetCam there and my uncle's shown me around a few times.. it's just amazing! :redface:

Sorry for the essay...I just don't know what to drop either! Hope your exams are going well too :smile:

Oh, awesome.
I know, I really don't want to drop English but I don't want to drop Maths and narrow my chances anywhere either... I guess we can't really decide until results are in. (I have Biology later today, why am I still online? D: )

The extended project thing sounds really cool, my school doesn't offer it - What topic are you planning to do it on?

I'm still kind've unsure about Cambridge tbh. I haven't been to the open day yet so I haven't seen for myself, but from what I've heard they aren't great on the practical side of things. That said, I love that they have an extra year to study/research what you want :biggrin:
Original post by Kysa
Hello everyone!

Hi there! I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge, Bristol, Nottingham and RVC. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography. I've also just finished doing the EPQ. Before exams I was dead set on dropping Geography, but after the horrible C2 exam I had last wednesday I'm not so sure anymore. I expect I'll still drop Geography, to keep Cambridge as an option but I'm not so sure any more.

Good luck with your exams too!
Reply 1793
Original post by Stripes23
Hi there! I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge, Bristol, Nottingham and RVC. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography. I've also just finished doing the EPQ. Before exams I was dead set on dropping Geography, but after the horrible C2 exam I had last wednesday I'm not so sure anymore. I expect I'll still drop Geography, to keep Cambridge as an option but I'm not so sure any more.

Good luck with your exams too!

Hello! Oh, god, C2 was horrendous D: Seriously, I don't think I've ever done a harder maths paper (are you on AQA?). Luckily I found Stats last Friday okay, so fingers crossed that it might *just* balance out.

Best of luck ^^
Original post by Kysa
Hello! Oh, god, C2 was horrendous D: Seriously, I don't think I've ever done a harder maths paper (are you on AQA?). Luckily I found Stats last Friday okay, so fingers crossed that it might *just* balance out.

Best of luck ^^

A couple of my friends where resitting the AQA C2 and apparently they said its the hardest maths paper they've ever done and a lot of the teachers are saying that its possibly one of the hardest they've made to try and test your intelligence and general knowlege. Apparently one of the teachers in my college couldn't actually do one of the questions.

I thought stats was okay though I loved the last question, I actually found the first half harder than the second half.

I think AQA may have quite a few complaints.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kysa
Oh, awesome.
I know, I really don't want to drop English but I don't want to drop Maths and narrow my chances anywhere either... I guess we can't really decide until results are in. (I have Biology later today, why am I still online? D: )

The extended project thing sounds really cool, my school doesn't offer it - What topic are you planning to do it on?

I'm still kind've unsure about Cambridge tbh. I haven't been to the open day yet so I haven't seen for myself, but from what I've heard they aren't great on the practical side of things. That said, I love that they have an extra year to study/research what you want :biggrin:

I had biology too! How do you think it went?

For the extended project i think I'm going to do something on the ivory trade with elephants and rhinos, but not really sure yet :confused:

At VetCam they said that they have timetabled lessons for practical animal stuff, but they definately are more sciency, knowledgy based. The extra year of study does looks really cool though :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kysa

Best of luck ^^

Yeah, I'm on AQA. I can definitely say it was the worst paper I've ever sat, in any subject. Stats went OK I think, although I screwed up the confidence interval question by putting the square root in the wrong place though. And Biology went OK today, so hopefully Chemistry and Geography later this week will go OK.
Reply 1797
Original post by Stripes23
Yeah, I'm on AQA. I can definitely say it was the worst paper I've ever sat, in any subject. Stats went OK I think, although I screwed up the confidence interval question by putting the square root in the wrong place though. And Biology went OK today, so hopefully Chemistry and Geography later this week will go OK.

Yeah, I screwed up the confidence interval question as well, although I still haven't figured out how. And hopefully the C2 grade boundaries will be low. I'm dreading Chemistry on Wednesday D: There are too many reactions to memorise. But after that I'm free, at last. I hope Geography goes well for you ^^

Original post by ellehamilton
I had biology too! How do you think it went?

For the extended project i think I'm going to do something on the ivory trade with elephants and rhinos, but not really sure yet :confused:

At VetCam they said that they have timetabled lessons for practical animal stuff, but they definately are more sciency, knowledgy based. The extra year of study does looks really cool though :smile:

Biology was actually pretty okay. It always shocks me how little of the paper is actual biological knowledge and how much is 'describe the trends in this graph' type questions. I messed up on the percentage difference question which I'm annoyed at myself for, but that aside, I think it went well.
What did you think?

Oh, the ivory trade thing sounds interesting. I read somewhere that the average tusk size of elephants is decreasing because we are poaching off the ones with larger tusks so much! Which is really sad and angry-making but a nice little example of evolution, too.

Do you have any ideas of what you might study in the extra year?
Original post by Kysa

Oh, the ivory trade thing sounds interesting. I read somewhere that the average tusk size of elephants is decreasing because we are poaching off the ones with larger tusks so much! Which is really sad and angry-making but a nice little example of evolution, too.

it was in the paper t'other day that fish are shrinking because fishermen only fish for larger fish so there's a selective pressure to be small!
Original post by Kysa
Biology was actually pretty okay. It always shocks me how little of the paper is actual biological knowledge and how much is 'describe the trends in this graph' type questions. I messed up on the percentage difference question which I'm annoyed at myself for, but that aside, I think it went well.
What did you think?

Do you have any ideas of what you might study in the extra year?

I think biology went okay too, except I had the wobbliest desk in the world, which didn't help much! :s-smilie: I know! So many of the questions are just about data and graphs but not a lot of actual biology, which is kind of annoying when you muck up really simple questions!

I love elephants and it's horrible that people are just thoughtlessly killing them fo a bit of something that looks nice on the mantlepiece, but the evolution surroundng it is pretty interesting! I especially love the little baby elephants that have been on Planet Earth Live recently, super cute! :redface:

I'm not sure what i'd study, but i think pathology might be interesting. I though about becoming a pathologist for a bit until I researched it and found that you had to train to be a doctor first! I could never be a doctor! :nah: What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending