The Student Room Group

Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cdsmith1990
I've only got bad-angle phone pics of mine but I'll share anyway...

It's a full Japanese sleeve; 2 Koi fish, 3 Lotus flowers, Cherry Blossoms and waves..

The Kanji I had done a few months before (cliche first tattoo) by a crap 'artist', but I had it re-done to fit in with the sleeve. It's supposed to say 'Gemini' but may well say 'Chicken Special With Rice' for all I know lol...

Anyway this is finished now after 18.5 hours, just a 1 hour touchup session in a couple weeks when I'll get proper photos taken:

Inner forearm, 16.5 hours:

Koi, 16.5 hours:

Inner arm after 18.5:

I've got all the progress pics but they suck lol..

It was done by Matt Hunt who owns Modern Body Art in Birmingham.. Touchup session at the start of July then 2 weeks later I'm starting my other arm with another artist from that studio, Rachel McCarthy. I'm having an inner forearm piece very similar to this that she did recently:

Just to address the 'regret it when you're 80' issue....

I went to the cemetery today for my grandad that died at Christmas, aged 80, from lung cancer. Then to the care home to visit my nan, also 80, who has Alzeimers.

Wrinkly tattoos are the very, very last thing I'm worried about in later life. Trust me.

Your tattoos are seriously stunning! You see so many tacky tattoos and then see something as amazing and intricate as yours and realise it really is an art form.
I've never wanted a tattoo myself due to just personal reasons, but I think If I was ever to get one I'd just have the word "Courage" probably, sounds ridiculous maybe but I've had to take on a lot since I was little, and it would remind me of what I;ve been through and overcome, and would be personal to me. :smile:
Reply 101
Original post by truthandtragedy
Thanks. :smile:

Nah, I won't be getting it for a good while yet until I'm totally sure of the design and then there's getting the money for it! I probably won't be getting it until next year. That way, I think I'll know if I definitely want it or not. :yes: I want something a bit bigger and colourful!

Yeah, that's sensible. :yes: What are you considering at the minute then?
Original post by zjs
Yeah, that's sensible. :yes: What are you considering at the minute then?

Something incorporating violet flowers, just got a very general idea at the moment! Thought of it due to my gran's name being Violet, and my mum's middle name being Violet, too. :smile: Flowers are always pretty!
Reply 103
Original post by truthandtragedy
Something incorporating violet flowers, just got a very general idea at the moment! Thought of it due to my gran's name being Violet, and my mum's middle name being Violet, too. :smile: Flowers are always pretty!

I agree, well-drawn flowers do look great. Would you aim for a big piece then?

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 105
Original post by Delta_Aitch

Spoiler

Looks good. I like. :yy:

I'm relatively familiar with the Egyptian symbols, but what do the words mean? :holmes: Hm, I s'pose the eye is a little on the small side, but nothing too noticeable.
Original post by zjs
Looks good. I like. :yy:

I'm relatively familiar with the Egyptian symbols, but what do the words mean? :holmes: Hm, I s'pose the eye is a little on the small side, but nothing too noticeable.

Those "words" are numbers :mmm: They're a date from when my best friend past away. I chose those particular symbols because the Ankh is the representation of eternal life and the Eye of Horus is for protection. I hoped to show myself that he will always be alive in me for as long as I remember him and that he would still be protected in death :dontknow:

Haha sounds really crusty but I didn't take the death very well so I needed some sort of assurance that I wouldn't ever forget him or anything - this was all for me, rather than for anyone else. :colondollar:
ive already got 2 tattoos, one on the side of my foot and one on my ankle.... but im considering having something down my spine....

will it hurt? cause i felt the vibration off the needle on my ankle... but will spine be more sore?
Reply 108
Original post by Delta_Aitch
Those "words" are numbers :mmm: They're a date from when my best friend past away. I chose those particular symbols because the Ankh is the representation of eternal life and the Eye of Horus is for protection. I hoped to show myself that he will always be alive in me for as long as I remember him and that he would still be protected in death :dontknow:

Haha sounds really crusty but I didn't take the death very well so I needed some sort of assurance that I wouldn't ever forget him or anything - this was all for me, rather than for anyone else. :colondollar:

Makes sense. Certainly a good way to remember someone and make a tattoo personal. :yes:
Original post by zjs
Makes sense. Certainly a good way to remember someone and make a tattoo personal. :yes:

Thanks bro :yy:
Reply 110
This is my first one... Really want another one, but I like to have things with a deeper meaning that wont look silly when I'm 50... heh. Plus I'm picky in the sense that I like to do my own drawings and havent had time. ;P

Picture is about a year & a half old, and Its not actually OF my tattoo but you get the idea. :smile:
Being totally honest, I HATE tattoos on girls.
Reply 112
Original post by The Dynamic Uno
Being totally honest, I HATE tattoos on girls.

How come?
I guess tattoos are quite a masculine thing, but with the right design they can look nice on girls! :smile:
Original post by dorkish
How come?
I guess tattoos are quite a masculine thing, but with the right design they can look nice on girls! :smile:

Most of the time it just ruins the girl's body in my opinion, especially when they're pretty.
Reply 114
I love henna tattoos! and the designs of them i get them all the time because they go after a week or so. Meaning there not gonna be there when i am 80 or so... But is still mot the same, I would like to get one down on my foot of a butterfly. But I am way to chicken to get it done!
Reply 115
Original post by dorkish
This is my first one... Really want another one, but I like to have things with a deeper meaning that wont look silly when I'm 50... heh. Plus I'm picky in the sense that I like to do my own drawings and havent had time. ;P

Picture is about a year & a half old, and Its not actually OF my tattoo but you get the idea. :smile:

It's not "of" your tattoo as in it's not your tattoo as it currently is? I like angel wings, but a lot of people seem to be divided in their opinion of them. They look good as depicted in that photo, anyway. :yy:

Original post by dorkish
How come?

I don't think tattoos are particularly masculine. I mean, some are, of course, but I think a lot are very feminine and many just seem to 'suit' women's bodies better.

Waiting is definitely the sensible thing to do. Having it sketched out will help you decide one way or the other, and it'd allow you to create a transfer of it which you could place/have on the area you'd wish to get a tattoo, giving you a better idea about whether you could live with it etched there permanently.
I'm thinking of getting a tattoo done atm..got a vague idea of the kind of things I want but not sure how to put them together..I like the idea of a feather or a bird and then a string of musical notes and a quote or something, but everything I come up with doesn't seem right. I also want to be a teacher so not quite sure where to put it, but quite like either on the back of my neck or round the side by the top of my arm. I think I'll wait until August or so to make up my mind so I can be sure I definitely want it. I've heard about temporary tattoos that last about 5-6 years; anyone got one of these?

These are my favourite designs atm; thoughts?
Reply 117
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
These are my favourite designs atm; thoughts?

Prefer the one on the left. Unlike anything I've seen on anyone.
Reply 118
Original post by zjs
Is that the French for "you'll see"? :holmes:

Phrases like that are quite cool, things that you might put as a Facebook status, make a note of or store in your head as phrases you like, but I think the biggest problem is always that there's a massive difference between liking it and having it inked permanently on your body for all to see.

A phrase is something I can imagine that you would have planned; I was just surprised the other person I was asking about it had said that they explicitly wouldn't want one but had planned the location and an accompanying picture.

Yes, it is. I'm definitely not getting a tattoo. It just means something to me. It doesn't mean it in a YOU'LL SEE *shakes fist* kinda sense, it's from this song:

Tu verras (you will see)
l'aube revient quand même (dawn comes anyway)
et même pâle (and even though pale)
le jour se lève encore (the day rises again)
même si (even if)
tu ne crois plus à l'aurore (you no longer believe in sunrise)
tu verras (you will see)

Bad translation but you get the point. It's a song about how things do get better. So IF I had a tattoo, which I won't, it would be that. :smile:
Reply 119
Original post by Cicerao
Yes, it is. I'm definitely not getting a tattoo. It just means something to me. It doesn't mean it in a YOU'LL SEE *shakes fist* kinda sense, it's from this song:

Tu verras (you will see)
l'aube revient quand même (dawn comes anyway)
et même pâle (and even though pale)
même si (even if)
tu ne crois plus à l'aurore (you no longer believe in sunrise)
tu verras (you will see)

Bad translation but you get the point. It's a song about how things do get better. So IF I had a tattoo, which I won't, it would be that. :smile:

No, I thought it was more of a romanticised message than a declaration of revenge. :yes:

Yeah, I only knew that from having heard the Claude Nougaro version.

Delta_Aitch
x

(and anyone else who's been regularly posting here)

I wonder if there might be, given the activity levels on this thread, grounds for starting a "Tattoo" or "Tattoo Appreciation" Society? :holmes:

Obviously, there's the Bod Mod society, but that deals with them in combination with piercings and is a slightly different angle on the whole thing.

Quick Reply

Latest