The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can you find out how many people have applied or how many places there are available for your course ? Mine is Sociology, Liverpool University.
Original post by golddust&lipgloss
my cousin needed A*AA to get to manchester to read maths & physics. he got CDU (:lolwut:)and somehow got a place :redface:.

That's incredible :eek2: gives me hope though, my offers the same to do Theoretical Physics :colondollar:
Reply 342
Original post by LadyLondoner
Thanks for the advice! Fingers crossed I get in :smile:

I'm sure you will, good luck! :smile:
so I've applied for psychology @ Surrey, with an offer of ABB, and my insurance is Bath Spa.. with an offer of BBC.

I really really want to go to Surrey even if it means doing a different course then switching, so my question is .. if I end up getting the grades for Bath Spa but don't want to go there, can I reject there offer of a place and go through clearing? Or would I have to reapply next year?
Original post by lifeshard
I need BBB but I think i'm gonna falter and get a C in something. I ALWAYS do, it would be so strange if I managed the BBB. But I was thinking maybe because Criminology doesn't seem like such an oversubscribed subject like Law maybe if I miss my offer by one grade i'll still have a chance :s-smilie: This is pure optimism at it's most dangerous. Way to get my hopes up!

So watching this thread!

I feel exactly the same way, I also need BBB to study Criminology. So scared
Reply 345
Original post by Blazara
We had to appear at some point. What's your offer/course?

English Literature at Warwick and my offer is 38 points with a 6 in HL English. I should get a 7 in English but I am worried about the 38 part, maths and biology kind of screwed me over...
Reply 346
Original post by sango
English Literature at Warwick and my offer is 38 points with a 6 in HL English. I should get a 7 in English but I am worried about the 38 part, maths and biology kind of screwed me over...

Ouch, that's a high offer from Warwick. I'm bitter at them for rejecting me/sending me a rubbish E-mail when I asked why.

I'm not too worried, but I only need 33 for law at Kent, if I don't manage that then I've seriously messed up :|
I took the French Bac in 2008, and my firm's offer for Russian and Arabic was 13/20 overall (I had 13 subjects), including 13/20 in Italian. I ended up with 11/20 overall and 12/20 in Italian, but I still got my firm, without even having to convince them! (My degree's really rare, though, and both subjects are massively undersubscribed - or were, when I applied)
Reply 348
Any stories from UCL? anyone? :frown:
Any one for university of bath for chemical engineering ?
How are universities with you if you have a death in the family, and as a result perform poorly in exams? I've contacted my university but I'm nervous they won't let me in should I fall short.

My offer is 280 points with a C in maths. I already have an A, so my offer is basically ACC. Should I get ACD or ADD, would they be sympathetic, given my circumstances? These June exams I feel haven't gone very well at all, as you can maybe imagine.
Original post by tommydeaks
How are universities with you if you have a death in the family, and as a result perform poorly in exams? I've contacted my university but I'm nervous they won't let me in should I fall short.

My offer is 280 points with a C in maths. I already have an A, so my offer is basically ACC. Should I get ACD or ADD, would they be sympathetic, given my circumstances? These June exams I feel haven't gone very well at all, as you can maybe imagine.

Ahh man, I'm sorry. I'm in a similar situation myself.
To be honest it's difficult to tell but if you ask me if there ever was a good reason for not doing as well that would be it! If it's a choice between you or a candidate who was just unlucky in the exam, surely logic would dictate you'd be the first choice. When I told my unis what had happened they said they'd "take it into consideration", did they do the same for you?
Do the universities look more at your grade or how you are personally when you ring up?
Original post by sunshinejunkie
Ahh man, I'm sorry. I'm in a similar situation myself.
To be honest it's difficult to tell but if you ask me if there ever was a good reason for not doing as well that would be it! If it's a choice between you or a candidate who was just unlucky in the exam, surely logic would dictate you'd be the first choice. When I told my unis what had happened they said they'd "take it into consideration", did they do the same for you?

They did say that, yeah. Sorry to you too, hope you are coping well.

What I'm worried about is if say everyone fills their quota, and then theres me falling two grades short :/
Reply 354
I need mitigating circumstances
Reply 355
Original post by charcharchar
so I've applied for psychology @ Surrey, with an offer of ABB, and my insurance is Bath Spa.. with an offer of BBC.

I really really want to go to Surrey even if it means doing a different course then switching, so my question is .. if I end up getting the grades for Bath Spa but don't want to go there, can I reject there offer of a place and go through clearing? Or would I have to reapply next year?

You can't reject your insurance place - you'd have to ring the uni and see if they would release you into clearing :smile:
Original post by Samus2
You can't reject your insurance place - you'd have to ring the uni and see if they would release you into clearing :smile:

ta :smile: !
Original post by Soppe
Any one for university of bath for chemical engineering ?

I am Soppe :redface:

Really really really really really want to get into Bath and they gave me an offer of AA in chemistry and maths to get onto the course.

Unfortunately I think i've only got at best AB and at worst BB as I messed up a bit on my C4 maths exam ( messed up some really easy questions, so annoyed with myself :angry: ). Also I just generally don't like the chemistry exams that OCR do, most of it is just looking at the mark scheme and memorising how to answer the questions and if you don't precisely answer how they want you to you won't get the marks - so irritating.

I didn't do maths in year 12 but decided to take it up as I really wanted to do chemical engineering. So I picked it up but my school cancelled the 'maths in a year' course so I've had to learn the entire A-Level on my own and I couldn't really afford a tutor (they had classes but I couldn't really attend them as I was behind with my A2 as people had already done C3 in january).

P.S. If anyone's wondering I already have an A-Level in electronics, hence why I had only 2 subjects.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kaskade
Hi - what do you think about Law at liverpool? Any leniency?

My mate go into law last year with ABB.
Reply 359
Alright after much boredom I'll share a story...

''wake up, Timothy'' echoed a voice in the darkness, ''dont you want to get your results?'' said Mary Anne

''ack, bloody 'ell i fort it was next week!'' exclaimed Timothy. He sprung out of bed and dared not to go to the bathroom. He went to his wardrobe and picked out his favorite adidas tracksuit bottoms, followed by a McKenzie t-shirt. He was a hopeful medic, anticipating Imperial or King's had he not met his firm. His hopes were high, despite the fact that he woke up late for his Mathematics module: ''be positive'' was his motto. Arriving at College he was surrounded by wishy-washy slack jawed chavs, uninterested in their results. ''Got 2 E's and D innit'' replied one of them. Timothy had his head held high and rushed inside to get his results.

B
B
U

He had missed his offer. ''**** bitch ****'' said he, ''mother****er''. Moments later, he recieved a phone call: ''hi this is the guy that runs imperial, we thought that it was best to TAKE YOU ON -- we need more doctors naamsayin just pop round in september''

Timothy jigged with happiness: ''hurah im going to be a doctor!''

and then he woke up and it was a dream

Latest

Trending

Trending