The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by suffocation1992
Thanks for that! I remembered asking someone, but the trainees seemed to think you don't get considered for both but grad recruitment said yes. Are you also applying for the international scheme?

How do you answer questions that ask you to "describe your skills/qualifications - describe your proficiency" What is this getting at? Obviously it's not academic qualifications as that's a separate section.

yup im applying for the international scheme too! im not there at that section yet.. prob language skills?
Original post by lovejoypeace
yup im applying for the international scheme too! im not there at that section yet.. prob language skills?

There are two covering letters if you apply for the international scheme. Presumably you have to tailor the second one to why specifically an international placement. I'll have to be careful not to repeat what I put in the first covering letter...
Reply 782
Original post by ddm2011
Anyone heard re:

1. Hogan Lovells non-law Winter Workshop
2. Freshfields non-law two day workshop
3. Cleary Gottlieb xmas

???

I heard from Hogan Lovells about the Winter Workshop on the 22nd Nov, got an offer!

Just out of interest, does anyone have any idea roughly how many people go on these things?
Reply 783
Still nothing from cleary for the winter vac scheme...assume thats a PFO. Has anyone heard anything from them, either way?
Original post by cdouglas1
I heard from Hogan Lovells about the Winter Workshop on the 22nd Nov, got an offer!

Just out of interest, does anyone have any idea roughly how many people go on these things?

congratulations!
Hi all - what a great thread! Really useful!

Have had a good look and couldn't find an answer to my question(s) so apologies if I'm duplicating here, but there we go! It happens I guess.

Basically I applied to A&O in the evening three Fridays ago (sorry - this is how I'm thinking of it in my head). So - didn't start my day-count til the Monday, but even so that makes today the 11th working day since my application was submitted and on the FAQ section of their website it talks about them taking 7-10 working days to reply so maybe not looking so good.

Also this stands in pretty sharp contrast to another firm who I now have an interview with, who only took 7 days to get back to me. A smart-cookie friend of mine commented that I do look very "in bed" with the said latter firm as have done bits and pieces with them already.
Such a pity as really did like the sound of A&O and wanted to get an opportunity to investigate them further, have only heard good reports from friends who are training/have done vac schemes with them. Bit of a shame.

This leads me to my main question - do you think firms take into account how friendly you might look on your CV with other firms? Now concerned about other applications I've submitted!

Out of interest what are other people experiencing with A&O and the time lag in them getting back to you? I'm guessing I should put it down as a PFO...?

Good luck to everyone with apps and thanks for all the miscellaneous points of interest I've been picking up whilst perusing this thread.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 786
Original post by *languagelover*

Have had a good look and couldn't find an answer to my question(s) so apologies if I'm duplicating here, but there we go! It happens I guess.

Basically I applied to A&O in the evening three Fridays ago (sorry - this is how I'm thinking of it in my head). So - didn't start my day-count til the Monday, but even so that makes today the 11th working day since my application was submitted and on the FAQ section of their website it talks about them taking 7-10 working days to reply so maybe not looking so good.

Also this stands in pretty sharp contrast to another firm who I now have an interview with, who only took 7 days to get back to me. A smart-cookie friend of mine commented that I do look very "in bed" with the said latter firm as have done bits and pieces with them already.
Such a pity as really did like the sound of A&O and wanted to get an opportunity to investigate them further, have only heard good reports from friends who are training/have done vac schemes with them. Bit of a shame.

This leads me to my main question - do you think firms take into account how friendly you might look on your CV with other firms? Now concerned about other applications I've submitted!

Out of interest what are other people experiencing with A&O and the time lag in them getting back to you? I'm guessing I should put it down as a PFO...?

Good luck to everyone with apps and thanks for all the miscellaneous points of interest I've been picking up whilst perusing this thread.

I got my PFO pretty swiftly after I applied, I think about 5-7 days after my application (which I believe I submitted on the deadline date... possible error), so I'd say until/ unless you hear back, take it as 'no news in good news'!

Good luck, also I'm not sure what firms might think about having lots of work with another particular firm. You could word it your advantage I guess by saying how working at firm X has made you realise you prefer certain aspects of firm Y? Showing focus and consideration for why you've applied for them? Just a thought...
Reply 787

I wouldn't worry about this necessarily. I had a look through my emails from last year, and they took 8 working days to get back to me, but other people I know who applied didn't hear back for a few weeks. No news is good news, for now, and I wouldn't chase up on it via email as it may look pushy, given they're not far over their (optimistic) timetable.

I don't think this would have any bearing on a firm's decision - they'd far prefer that you have a lot of work experience, even if it's with one of their competitors, than if you had no previous experience of working in law firms at all. Depending on what you did on those various occasions, I would condense it down on your applications and not make a big deal of it. Hopefully you have some other relevant experience at different places which you can also put down to create some balance? If so, perfect; if not, I still wouldn't worry about it. Good luck.

Hey,
Out of my friends who have applied to A&O (in roughly the same week) only one person has heard back so far and that was a rejection (and after re reading realised there was stupid mistake of putting another law firm's name in). This person heard back pretty quickly so my theory is they read them as they come in and it's either an instant rejection or you wait in a 'possibly interview' pile or some people get interview offers straight away if they are outstanding? Who knows though, I'm still waiting to hear back from Freshfields too after the 2 weeks they say it takes. It is peak season at the moment though so I'd understand if it took a while longer.
(edited 12 years ago)
BLP PFO for Winter Vacation Scheme and Training Contract. Ouch. Double ouch that I know five people from my course who got it! Wasn't even considered for their summer placement, I must really suck! :frown: Pretty gutted. Awkward too as I've been accepted onto their open day next week. Oh well the show must go on...AND IT WILL :biggrin:
Blondie_Florence, Wildcard and cdouglas1 thank you so much for your replies and best of luck to all of you with all your applications.
Does anyone have any experience of the Bird & Bird AC?
Original post by suffocation1992
BLP PFO for Winter Vacation Scheme and Training Contract. Ouch. Double ouch that I know five people from my course who got it! Wasn't even considered for their summer placement, I must really suck! :frown: Pretty gutted. Awkward too as I've been accepted onto their open day next week. Oh well the show must go on...AND IT WILL :biggrin:

Open Days are still useful, so I would definitely advise attending.

I exchanged a few PMs with the rep from Freshfields, who reckoned it demonstrates an interest and certain level of commitment to find out more about working for a City law firm etc. So definitely useful.

I think it would definitely help in answering questions such as 'Why x firm?' or 'Why commercial law?' and so on...

:smile:
Reply 793
Hi, has anyone heard anything at all from White and Case? I think they assess on a rolling basis?!
Anyone heard from SNR Denton re Winter Vac scheme?
Reply 795
Original post by JustWonderingWhy
Anyone heard from SNR Denton re Winter Vac scheme?

Heard about a week ago, got a PFO...applied just before the deadline though.
Original post by ahycrwh
Heard about a week ago, got a PFO...applied just before the deadline though.

Sorry to hear that; thanks for the info. Having had 2 late PFOs, I know better than to get my hopes up - they have probably just lost my address!
Original post by VacS
Hi, has anyone heard anything at all from White and Case? I think they assess on a rolling basis?!

Nope. Can I ask how long your cover letter was?
Reply 798
Original post by new_romantic

Original post by new_romantic
Nope. Can I ask how long your cover letter was?

Mine was quite long, definitely over 800 words... How long was yours? Just to clarify, did you only receive the email confirming receipt of your application?
Reply 799
has anyone applied to Ashurst? how long should the cover letter be and who should it be addressed to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending