The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Quality thread tbf.
Original post by Helpful_Charlie
But, I suppose, the OP was looking for peace of mind, which he has duly not received. :biggrin:

LOOOOOOOOLL!!!! Ah well, that's another person scared away from London :wink:
Original post by AAJ
Don't look like you don't know what the **** you're doing, if you look vulnerable then you're an easy target. You are lucky in that it is summer so there are longer days, which means you can be out a bit later. But come back early and hang about the main streets. It's not some tranquil and secure area, nowhere in London is, you just have to be cautious and smart.

I guess I should hit the gym then ;-)
Reply 63
The sooner people stop making generalisations the better. You have nothing to worry about, if that's the answer you were looking to hear.
Original post by effofex
Well, racial violence may not be prevalent now, but certain people do feel the need to take precautions - as was advanced by the OP's first post. Thus as non-white males surely we can also feel justified in taking adequate safety precautions in the presence of white males/white females too on the same premise, right?

I never suggested anything about imprisonment - I merely advocated vigilance. There is no law preventing us from being vigilant, is there?

Why would you have a certain set of precautions in the presence of white people, and not just people in general?

I'm intrigued to hear some of the precautions that you take whilst around whites.
Original post by AAJ
Don't look like you don't know what the **** you're doing, if you look vulnerable then you're an easy target. You are lucky in that it is summer so there are longer days, which means you can be out a bit later. But come back early and hang about the main streets. It's not some tranquil and secure area, nowhere in London is, you just have to be cautious and smart.

Kensington, Mayfair?
Reply 66
Original post by effofex
The white men are themselves a minority in Zimbabwe. The term 'White on Minority' simply does not apply there or in Zuid Afrika.

The reference I made has nothing to do with 'white guilt'. It simply infers that as coloured men we should be more vigilant in the presence of white men and white women given what they are capable of - and that such a sentiment is equally justifiable supposing the OP's original sentiment of suspicion in the presence of black males/black females is deemed justifiable.

I never said I was 'black'. I specifically said 'as coloured men' if you look at my first post on this thread.

True shouldn't have used minority because in numbers they are minority, and also they are now the minority in power (probably reason why I used minority since they used to have the majority power share).

I know in an ideal world no one would have any prior discrepancies, but come on man, he's going to be the only white boy in town in 'da endz' of London. Surely it doesn't come as a surprise that he has his anxieties?

However saying that I think a kid I know has moved to E&C from all the way up here and hasn't been mugged yet to my knowledge.
Reply 67
good question, and true, gangster rap and government neglection to these areas has caused it, maybe invest in some cheaper clothes(if that makes sense), and dont carry anything expensive around, dont go around any areas with not many people and if you are out after sunset there is a high risk youll get mugged, i lived in south london for 11 years, but never had any trouble as i didnt go out at stupid hours flashing a gold chain lol
Reply 68
Original post by iwantcurlyhairtoo
Why would you have a certain set of precautions in the presence of white people, and not just people in general?

I'm intrigued to hear some of the precautions that you take whilst around whites.

I wouldn't apply it specifically to white males/white females. I personally would not have to. I just specified that if we were to use OP's logic then as non-white males we would be equally and possibly more justified in taking the precautions that he was in search of given the pictoral evidence I presented.

I work with alot of white males so do not really need to take precautions in their presence. I guess the only one I have would be not to put myself in a position where it appeared that I was engaging in flirtatious conversation with a white female (or a white male) - not because I have a personal problem with them, but because on a political level it can have implications of theft and is not particularly expedient.
Original post by Good Intentions
Hello guys.
I am a white, young male and I start an internship in two weeks near London Bridge and I already found a nice and cheap ex-council flat in the Elephant and Castle area.
This is a predominantly black area and I don't want to sound racist or anything because I am not but I am genuinely scared about my well-being when living there.
Maybe my fear is fuelled by constant media coverage of stabbings, shootings and black gang operations in the east London maybe it is the fact I have never been an ethnic minority myself?

I am aware that this thread is about stereotypes and I apologise if I upset someone but I don't want to get beaten just because I am white.

So my question to you guys:
Is it safe being white in the black areas of London?

At least you'll know what it's like to be black.
Reply 70
Original post by FluxD
True shouldn't have used minority because in numbers they are minority, and also they are now the minority in power (probably reason why I used minority since they used to have the majority power share).

I know in an ideal world no one would have any prior discrepancies, but come on man, he's going to be the only white boy in town in 'da endz' of London. Surely it doesn't come as a surprise that he has his anxieties?

However saying that I think a kid I know has moved to E&C from all the way up here and hasn't been mugged yet to my knowledge.

He isn't going to be the 'only white boy in town'. I have been to E&C.

There have been many situations where I literally was the 'only coloured boy in town'. Surely I would be equally justified, if not more justified (supposing the racial balance was skewed more heavily against me than for our white male acquaintance in E&C) in having my anxieties?

I survived, so I'm sure our white male friend will too :smile:
Hello guys.
I am a white, young male and I start an internship in two weeks near London Bridge and I already found a nice and cheap ex-council flat in the Elephant and Castle area.
This is a predominantly black area and I don't want to sound racist or anything because I am not but I am genuinely scared about my well-being when living there.
Maybe my fear is fuelled by constant media coverage of stabbings, shootings and black gang operations in the east London maybe it is the fact I have never been an ethnic minority myself?

I am aware that this thread is about stereotypes and I apologise if I upset someone but I don't want to get beaten just because I am white.

So my question to you guys:
Is it safe being white in the black areas of London?

mabey people are a bit pissed because you are associating crime with black people when you should be associating it with poverty, not your fault, we have a very well formed media, and propaganda still exists today

dont know much about the area, ive been there a few times at night, it was fine, just dont go down alleys, stay to well populates places, dont go out at night is you dont need to
Reply 72
I know that Elephant and Castle has the worse roundabout/ infrastructure planning system in the world. However I will warn you now:

When you are walking home at night DO NOT and I mean DO NOT under any circumstances take a short cut under the roundabout into the subway. OK? It does take a long time to walk around but it's worth it (for your safety not the view!!!! lol).

Also London South Bank Uni is in the area so stay around there (mostly harmless students there tbh and the worse they do is smoke a bit of weed).

I would avoid South London council estates in general though. Are you getting housing association accommodation?
yes you'll be fine. i'd be more worried about being rich and stupid than being white.
Original post by MTR_10
I know that Elephant and Castle has the worse roundabout/ infrastructure planning system in the world. However I will warn you now:

When you are walking home at night DO NOT and I mean DO NOT under any circumstances take a short cut under the roundabout into the subway. OK? It does take a long time to walk around but it's worth it (for your safety not the view!!!! lol).

Also London South Bank Uni is in the area so stay around there (mostly harmless students there tbh and the worse they do is smoke a bit of weed).

I would avoid South London council estates in general though. Are you getting housing association accommodation?

lol, trufax. that subway is the creepiest place known to man and that's in the daytime.

as long as you stick to well lit streets and don't hang around you'll generally be fine. that said, i did almost slip on a pool of blood on the way down to the bakerloo line once, lol.

so yeah. watch for pools of blood. :pierre:
Try asking them.
Original post by Andamiriel
mabey people are a bit pissed because you are associating crime with black people when you should be associating it with poverty, not your fault, we have a very well formed media, and propaganda still exists today

dont know much about the area, ive been there a few times at night, it was fine, just dont go down alleys, stay to well populates places, dont go out at night is you dont need to

That's why I said that I am not trying to insult anyone.

And yes media fuel my anxiety and so do videos like that for example:
http://www.break.com/fights/guy-smacks-girl-for-dissing-him.html
Original post by MTR_10

I found an ex-council flat near Falmouth Road that I will share with some people.
Pretty grim area tbh but the flat is really nice and cheap.
I never had much contact with people of other ethnicity hence this thread. Just wanted to find out what other people think. It is not a personal attack on black people so please don't take it personally.

Lol you dont need to explain yourself and there was no offence taken i just found it amusing..plus not all of us black folk are always quick to pull out the race card :smile:

But theres a black dude on TSR by the name of Moss_side_time who lives under a rock somewhere...if you should come by him pls dont think were all like him lol
(edited 12 years ago)
not really black guys are safe

Latest

Trending

Trending