The Student Room Group

Did any of you A/A* students do pre AS preparation??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What if Im doing Further Maths as an independant study subject
Reply 21
Original post by TheTidders
I'm starting sixrh form in september and I'm gonna do a bit. Im only gonna learn somw physics, though, because my school's department is mind-blowingly bad :smile:

I also plan on learning grade 5 music theory, so that i can take the exam in the winter term, when my studies aren't massively important.

I'm also thinking about learning a language too, maybe mandarin. On side note, does anyone have any experience of those rosetta stone programs? They're reaaaally expensive so getting a tutor may be more cost-effective (i wish i'd done it at school)

I use the german one, well basically it's a total immersion program, as if you've just been in the country and have no experience of the language, it's pretty good, but i'd say try it out and if it's the way you like learning languages then go for it!
Reply 22
I didn't do anything.

Just have fun. When you get you sixth form, that's when you need to start working. Have a break for now, otherwise you'll be sick of it before you even get there...
Reply 23
What if Im doing Further Maths as a Independent study subject? Any suggestions
No, not at all. Have a good summer and try not to worry about next year.
The thing is, i keep writing lists of things i need to do, but i cba to actually start :s

Yeah, i might also do some work on further maths, lots of modules :wink:
Reply 26
Original post by Sagacious
I'm in the same position as you (Just finished GCSE's).

From all the people i've asked who have gotten A*'s at A-Level, they've all said that they started early. Two reasons; 1) To stay ahead of the class, therefore they find classwork much easier. 2) Because of their passion for the subject(s), they said that unless you're a born genius you're not going to get A*'s without dedicating huge amounts of extra time towards the subject.

As a result, I'm spending a large proportion of my time this summer learning AS Physics and AS/A2 Maths, I may aswell do something productive instead of just watching rubbish on TV that wont help me one bit.

this.

what i have done is got the revision guides for my subjects and im just reading a couple of pages a day, just so i can maybe start to get my head around the worst concepts before i go back. (ive done a maths FSMQ so done most of year 12 maths already :biggrin: )

that said i think its important that we relax!! ive got loads of work experience, volunteering, and going out with friends planned :smile:
Original post by Sagacious
I'm in the same position as you (Just finished GCSE's).

From all the people i've asked who have gotten A*'s at A-Level, they've all said that they started early. Two reasons; 1) To stay ahead of the class, therefore they find classwork much easier. 2) Because of their passion for the subject(s), they said that unless you're a born genius you're not going to get A*'s without dedicating huge amounts of extra time towards the subject.

As a result, I'm spending a large proportion of my time this summer learning AS Physics and AS/A2 Maths, I may aswell do something productive instead of just watching rubbish on TV that wont help me one bit.

That's not true at all....You don't need to be a genius to get A*s, just to listen in class, make sure you understand everything and then revise properly, for however long you feel you need to. Could be a month, could be 3 days. All this "staying ahead" nonsense is just...nonsense. Unless you have REALLY BAD teachers, there's no way you need to do that.
I didn't do any pre AS preperation but did work hard from November onwards for Jan exams. Next year is going to be stressful no matter how much preperation you've already done so relax and enjoy your summer but work hard when the time comes. I'm doing maths, further maths, bio and chem.

Original post by mohamedomar
What if Im doing Further Maths as a Independent study subject? Any suggestions

It wouldn't hurt to start now but as I said there isn't any need. But make sure you put in the hours next year and do lots of past papers.

A bit of revision advice to all for when you get close to exams: keep doing past papers!!! I made one set of notes and just did papers, papers, papers and got 4 A's in Jan.
Nopes.
Original post by Marsha2112
That's not true at all....You don't need to be a genius to get A*s, just to listen in class, make sure you understand everything and then revise properly, for however long you feel you need to. Could be a month, could be 3 days. All this "staying ahead" nonsense is just...nonsense. Unless you have REALLY BAD teachers, there's no way you need to do that.

Well it's what they said.

Find me someone with an A* in Further Mathematics/Physics who doesn't dedicate more hours than everyone else and isn't a genius.
Reply 31
Nope ceeb to revise until 3 weeks before exams.
Reply 32

What if Im doing Further Maths as an independant study subject

Read the book, do questions, then after do past papers, it takes two weeks for each module, even less sometimes.
Reply 33
I spent the summer between year 11 and 12 doing maths maths maths, but this was because I'd already started A-level in it and was ridiculously keen. I didn't do any preparation for the AS-levels I was actually starting (and got A*, A and B in them, Chemistry Physics and Music)
Original post by 24DJF
I use the german one, well basically it's a total immersion program, as if you've just been in the country and have no experience of the language, it's pretty good, but i'd say try it out and if it's the way you like learning languages then go for it!

Why do you use the program rather than hire a german-national as a tutor? Does the orogram really work or is it like the touch-typung courses, which aren't at all useful?
Reply 35
i have to do a test before being able to do A level maths at my sixth form. sucks. so i need to go over C1. not that hard cos its gcse.
I was on holiday
Reply 37
Just Chill!!!

As For Maths Just Start When Your School Starts.. Thats What I Did And Have Now Got AAAA In My First 4 Math Modules!!
Reply 38
I did a bit of reading around because I am interested in my subjects but didn't really get stuck into the AS content very much, except by accident with maths.
Reply 39
I've learned AS Maths Core 1, Core2 and hope to learn M1 as well before I even start A levels in September. I also know how to code in Delphi already so should be up to standard for Computing A level but I didn't purposely learn to code just for A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest